Cam choice - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 17th, 2006, 07:48 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Cam choice

Still going back and forth between the Crower #50229 and the stock 3.9 cam. Some folks have talked about having to shim the cam or do some "mild" machining. I just want to put the thing in and be done with it. Can I do that with the Crower or Crane cams? I will probably go aftermarket because it is about $50 cheaper than the Land Rover cam.

Thanks,

Kevin Mokracek
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 17th, 2006, 08:16 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The only machining issues I've ever seen are when you need to adapt a 3.9 style cam to a 4.0/4.6 block with the retaining plate. I've also heard mention of some clearance work needed inside the timing cover when using an Edelbrock timing chain, I had no issues at all with my J&P chain I got through RPi.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 17th, 2006, 08:26 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
I think I will end up ordering everything through D&D when all is said and done so I would imagine there should be no fitting issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 18th, 2006, 01:05 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I am running a stock, no shim, cowler cam, no problem. Crane no problem either. BUT, I am running with a distributor and that keeps the float out the front down due to the extra drag on the distributor cog. If so, I would recommend the cowler for lower rpm torque version (they have two versions, a low torque and a regular torque) or either the crowler or the crane for more HP version. I have run them both. If no distributor, then I hear that you may want to use a retainer plate. Please keep in mind, however, if you mill down the cam to accept the retainer plate, there is nothing keeping the cam from going too far into the engine and you run the risk of it going to far. Some people get away with this because the cam hits the plug at the back of the engine. Others don't get away with it (me) and the cam lobes start to hit the adjacent lifters resulting in total distruction of the cam and all lifters. PITA.

Chris

Best regards,
Chris
Old February 18th, 2006, 01:09 AM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Thanks Chris, I have a distributor so there should be no problem. Do you mean Crower Cam or is there another company called Cowler that I should also be looking at?
Old February 18th, 2006, 11:24 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I meant Crower--I was drunk and tired ;-)
Old February 19th, 2006, 09:56 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

Kmoe, I just installed the cowler 27 & like it! What a differance. If I were to do it again I would go one size larger, I think!???
I went with that cam for torque @ low rpm, I also used the Rhodes lifters that are supposed to maximize low end. My logic may be off but with a manual trans you are running lower rpms hence the cam decision. The biggest thing you can do is make the engine breath!!

I have a low milage 3.9 cam if you want but I would run the crower!
If you need anymore info I would be glad to help.
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:17 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
Kmoe, I just installed the cowler 27 & like it! What a differance. If I were to do it again I would go one size larger, I think!???
I went with that cam for torque @ low rpm, I also used the Rhodes lifters that are supposed to maximize low end. My logic may be off but with a manual trans you are running lower rpms hence the cam decision. The biggest thing you can do is make the engine breath!!

I have a low milage 3.9 cam if you want but I would run the crower!
If you need anymore info I would be glad to help.
Peter,

Where did you buy your cam? I am torn between more torque for off road and more power so I can get off road faster

Kevin
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:45 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well you do have the D130, and the tires are larger than stock, correct? Because of the extra size and wind resistance, I'd say go for the torque.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 20th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

I got mine directly from the factory.
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:00 AM
Monkeyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowtracer
.... I also used the Rhodes lifters that are supposed to maximize low end..
Have you found the Rhodes lifters noisy?

Back in the dark ages ( the '70's) we used some in a Pontiac and had a "solid lifter" kind of noise that went along with them.

KAA
Old February 20th, 2006, 01:04 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

K, I would not go too lumpy. Perhaps 228 but thats it. Too much HP & you will be down shifting & not able to "lugg" the motor. Like I said before it is equally important to make the engine breath good head job port matching ect. Yes, the Rhodes are a little noisy but my engine runs so smooth that I need somthing to keep me from grinding off all the teeth on my fly wheel!

I bought my cam from Summit. I would call Crower I talk to them.
BTW Keith is running the 227 in the rig he is sending to OBC!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions