Calling all members! Help me build up my Defender! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:34 AM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Calling all members! Help me build up my Defender!

Hello to all. Im a proud owner of a 1997 D-90 that my father gave to me. Its been in my Garage for 3 years and now I would like to drive it. At the moment I have starting to do all types of reliably services such has replacing all the fluids to the correct grade Red Line Oil. I will next change out ALL the engine hoses and thermostat with 180 degree unit. I was going to clean the engine and look for areas of leaks. I also changed the oil lines with a braid kit already. After this I would like to know about which way to go on suspension? Im going to change all bushings to polybush. Anyone uses these? Do you think the performance is to harsh or squeaky?

The goals I had are for a daily driver but would like to have some real off road improvements for fun times

I can't decide on how much lift I want and what I need to get it done correctly? Anyone have shots of a 2" 3" and 4" lift of there Defender?

So far here are suspension items I plan on getting.

X-Deflex
X-Springs

Don't know which shocks to go with? What is the benefit of the remote reservoir shocks? I do plan on towing with my Defender as well.

So here is a start. Thanks for the help and hopefully we can all have fun building this D90 up together. I will post pics of progress and believe me I want to do a lot to this beast!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7025.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	41833   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7059.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	41834  

Name:	IMG_7068.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	41835  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2011, 01:43 AM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Here is a picture of a Defender my friend sent me off the 405 fwy here in LA. Maybe a member here? Was wounder how much this was lifted and how big are the tires? The boost wheels are the same size as freestyle I think? Anything thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	41836  
Old September 9th, 2011, 02:08 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Ask John (phoenix37) about that truck. That's his old truck. It's now owned by jvelador here on the board.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:24 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

D-90 Source is missing the popcorn smiley.
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:31 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

bushes

Hi George, thats a very nice unmolested truck.
The only real benefit of polybushes is the ease of replacing them over the original rubber bushes, to get the originals out you will either need to press them out or mangle them by cutting or burning.

I have fitted polybushes to my 90's only for the ease of replacing them, if I had a press I would use the genuine bushes up to a 2" lift
On my 90 with 2" lift I use soft poly compound in all but the panhard rod bush, for that bushing I use a hard poly compound, this set up suits me, however genuine bushes once fitted normally out live poly by a long margin and give a softer & quieter ride, though having a diesel softop negate this benefit.

BTW when I say original bushes I do mean genuine LR bushes.

Regards

Gren
Old September 9th, 2011, 06:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
How many miles on that truck? Genuine parts bushings. Leave it stock!!!
Old September 9th, 2011, 07:43 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Leave it alone unless you have some huge compelling reason to add suspension lift. When you lift the vehicle with taller springs it will, of course change the way the entire suspension behaves. This means that you will gain in some respects and lose in others since every suspension design is a compromise of a lot of variables.
If you are lifting it for "the look" don't bother. If you are lifting it because you need larger tires for off-roading then that's another story. If you have done your research properly you will know what springs, tires and shocks to install without our help.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 9th, 2011, 08:46 AM
UnfrozenCaveman
Keith Armstrong
Various

Another encouragement to leave it as is.

If you want one to fuss with, sell me that green one and I'll find you another one.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:02 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
Here is a picture of a Defender my friend sent me off the 405 fwy here in LA. Maybe a member here? Was wounder how much this was lifted and how big are the tires? The boost wheels are the same size as freestyle I think? Anything thoughts?
That is my old truck. It had 2" of lift and 35" tires and I sold it primarily because I couldnt fit into any damn parking garages in LA. If you want to drive around endlessly looking for street parking lift it. If not leave it alone. Oh and by the way who gets given a D90 by their Dad? Lucky bastard.

Its obvious I dont own the truck anymore because its shiny. Javier if you dont offroad that thing Ill be very disappointed.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:21 AM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

I bought mine at a discounted price from my father.
Old September 9th, 2011, 09:51 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

George, that is a really nice truck. Get it on the road and enjoy it before you do any mods to it. It's a Defender so it already is a capable off road truck in it's stock form. If after driving it you find a need to modify the truck, you will know exactly what to do.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:02 AM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefenderPilot View Post
I dig the plate.
Old September 9th, 2011, 10:52 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Fitting into garages is precisely why I went with smaller (30") tires.
Old September 9th, 2011, 11:03 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Garage doors can be raised... But +1 to not molest it.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:04 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
Hi George, thats a very nice unmolested truck.
The only real benefit of polybushes is the ease of replacing them over the original rubber bushes, to get the originals out you will either need to press them out or mangle them by cutting or burning.

I have fitted polybushes to my 90's only for the ease of replacing them, if I had a press I would use the genuine bushes up to a 2" lift
On my 90 with 2" lift I use soft poly compound in all but the panhard rod bush, for that bushing I use a hard poly compound, this set up suits me, however genuine bushes once fitted normally out live poly by a long margin and give a softer & quieter ride, though having a diesel softop negate this benefit.

BTW when I say original bushes I do mean genuine LR bushes.

Regards

Gren
Thanks Gren, most of my orignal rubber ones are in not great shape and my sway bar ones are melted! haha. Im surprised the poly don't last as long as rubbers when poly don't normally go bad? I love how stiff and tight they make cars or trucks. I had them on my Jeep and they never cracked like rubber ones?

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2011 09:09 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
George, that is a really nice truck. Get it on the road and enjoy it before you do any mods to it. It's a Defender so it already is a capable off road truck in it's stock form. If after driving it you find a need to modify the truck, you will know exactly what to do.
Thanks! Well the truck needs all the rubber stuff changed out and I would like to have better upgrades put it since I would like to have it raised as well. Im not going to hack it but keep it orignal on the inside and body. Just want to changed out worn stuff for improved better more durable stuff.

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2011 09:11 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Fitting into garages is precisely why I went with smaller (30") tires.
Oh yea I better check on this before I go to high? Also, what about parking structures? I need to find out how high the stock Defender sits?
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:15 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
George, to be clear, the sentiment most are trying to impress is that you very likely don't want to need to lift it and you should drive it stock for a while before making this decision. There is much debate about bushings, but the OEM ones are likely best and I say replace the bushings with stock and stock shocks first and see how you like it. I bought a red poly set and am having reservations, so if you are interested in those let me know.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:17 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
That is my old truck. It had 2" of lift and 35" tires and I sold it primarily because I couldnt fit into any damn parking garages in LA. If you want to drive around endlessly looking for street parking lift it. If not leave it alone. Oh and by the way who gets given a D90 by their Dad? Lucky bastard.

Its obvious I dont own the truck anymore because its shiny. Javier if you dont offroad that thing Ill be very disappointed.
Oh cool I was going to PM so thanks for posting here. Wow really? I was worried about that, dang it! Are there shocks that I can addjust up and down like my friends LX460? That would be very cool! So 2" lift looks like its pretty good but once I do that no more garages?

------ Follow up post added September 9th, 2011 09:39 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
George, to be clear, the sentiment most are trying to impress is that you very likely don't want to need to lift it and you should drive it stock for a while before making this decision. There is much debate about bushings, but the OEM ones are likely best and I say replace the bushings with stock and stock shocks first and see how you like it. I bought a red poly set and am having reservations, so if you are interested in those let me know.
The red polybush performance model are the hardest ones they make. I didn't want that so was thinking about the dynamic or comfort. Would like to make sure they won't sag when I tow heavy loads.
Old September 9th, 2011, 12:56 PM
Abeer
Amarveer
94 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post

Truck looks good with the rack.
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:13 PM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

A few years back I lifted my old 90 by about 4 or so inches to fit some 35"s.... the thing drove like an old shopping cart afterwards; it was mentally tiring trying to keep the thing in a straight line (using a US imported rock crawling kit and rancho 9000 dampers)

I dropped it back down to earth with a HD OME spring kit, and never looked back (and dropped the tyre size to 255/85) handles a dream afterwards.

My 110 also has factory 110 HD springs and 255's. You'll be suprised how well defenders go in standard form

Ok, it's your truck, lift it all you like, but have a go at driving it as factory spec, and see how you get on.

Also, IMO, i prefer factory rubber bushes instead of polybush,,,they're more flexible, and when they do "go", they go gradually, as opposed to disintegrating over 100 miles like the harder polys do.
Old September 9th, 2011, 04:37 PM
DefenderPilot
George
1997 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_jim View Post
A few years back I lifted my old 90 by about 4 or so inches to fit some 35"s.... the thing drove like an old shopping cart afterwards; it was mentally tiring trying to keep the thing in a straight line (using a US imported rock crawling kit and rancho 9000 dampers)

I dropped it back down to earth with a HD OME spring kit, and never looked back (and dropped the tyre size to 255/85) handles a dream afterwards.

My 110 also has factory 110 HD springs and 255's. You'll be suprised how well defenders go in standard form

Ok, it's your truck, lift it all you like, but have a go at driving it as factory spec, and see how you get on.

Also, IMO, i prefer factory rubber bushes instead of polybush,,,they're more flexible, and when they do "go", they go gradually, as opposed to disintegrating over 100 miles like the harder polys do.
What brand did you uses? I seems after searching here that all that had the polybush brand were very happy with them. They make a blue comfort version which is firmer then rubber but softer then normal polyurethane stiffness. rubber dearades sitting even on a self and they tend to start hairline crack quickly as well. Good poly bushs don't do that. I put 100k miles on my jeep with them and they still looked new and my truck was tight!

Wow this looks like its even better then polybush. They mold the poly into a alloy sleeves. Take a look at that info on there site.

http://www.superpro.com.au/why-super...res-a-benefits

Read this
http://www.superpro.com.au/why-super...tem/download/4
http://www.superpro.com.au/why-super...tem/download/5

Looks like superpro is the way to go!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions