Calling all diesel guys - Biodiesel??? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 27th, 2006, 07:43 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

Hydrogen was mentioned briefly as the way of the future. I do not expect to see it in my lifetime, certainly not in my vehicles.

Gas prices will never fall significantly unless the Canadian output is realized. Even then the chances are slim as this "excess capacity" will be snapped up quickly.

I would prefer a few nuclear plants throughout the country to the current situation. Nuclear is safe. There is now a new cleaner nuclear system that generates waste with a half-life much lower than current technology. Problem is getting the attitude back to allow construction.

So, come on everyone - let's go nuclear! Let's go nuclear!

To get back on topic:

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_make.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 27th, 2006, 10:48 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Doesn't it take more energy to produce hydrogen than the energy you get from it? I think it's the future, true, but only when people recognize atomic energy is the only way to make it cheaply, and let's face it, too few people understand nuclear power can save the world...Too many realize it can end it.

That's deep...and I need a beer
Old January 28th, 2006, 02:46 PM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Thanks for getting us back on topic with the biodiesel link Art, I don't know how I like playing with methanol other than in the laboratory with the proper precautions, but it's a good article about home-made biodiesel.

Yeah, hydrogen did get brought up and is definately the way of the future, but just like has been said, it may take a while.

Now, nuclear IS a great way to produce power! Just wish it could work in a vehicle (other than a sub or naval ship) That's another pet-peeve of mine with the American view on nuclear, it really is great stuff! Definately lots of stigmas and political issues with it though that we probably shouldn't go into here.
Advertisement

Old January 28th, 2006, 04:29 PM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by smenzel
Lubricity
One thing I forgot to mention is the lubricity factor of biodiesel. Current petro-diesel contains sulfur for some kind of lubrication in the combustion process (not sure exactly) but federal regulations will cut down (eliminate?) the sulfur from petroleum diesel.

Removing lubrication doesn't strike me as a particularly good idea. Adding just half a percent biodiesel to your fuel (running B00.5) is enough to overcome this lubrication issue.
Actually #2 Diesel isnt too bad w/ lubricity. Its the process that removes the sulphur that also removes the lubricity bits and pieces. And yes, adding even a wee bit of bio will help.
Old January 30th, 2006, 01:48 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Scott says:
Actually #2 Diesel isnt too bad w/ lubricity. Its the process that removes the sulphur that also removes the lubricity bits and pieces. And yes, adding even a wee bit of bio will help.

Thanks for that info, Scott.

Yes, hydrogen is most likely our future power source, particularly if it receives the appropriate government funding. Even under the best of circumstances, it's going to take ten or fifteen years to become a viable fuel source.

First someone [some company] needs to design and create a safe engine / vehicle that utilize hydrogen. This alone could take five to ten years. The vehicles have to be produced and sold (people have to actually buy into the idea). Then we need an infrastructure for hydrogen production and distribution.

Biodiesel utilizes current engines, vehicles and infrastructure.

Hydrogen is [might be] the future. Biodiesel is now.
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:19 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
You are preaching to the choir ....
Old January 31st, 2006, 10:58 AM
cbass
Bradlee Duncan
'94 White and '95 Red D's

Is that your site David?? Some of those are just beautiful! And then I assume that pic that you linked to is yours, right?
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:18 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yeah, from this weekend. Jamil is quite the photographer in his spare time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
diesel