California Land Rover Defenders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 2nd, 2009, 06:56 AM
Defender37
Michael R. Bedsaul

California Land Rover Defenders

Were there any Land Rover Defenders (NAS) that were specially produced or modified just for the California market? My understanding is that all Defenders (regardless of which state they were originally sold from new) met the emissions standards for California that were in effect at the time of the vehicle's production (this is what my D90's Owner's Manual states). I understand that California requires continuing emissions checks and that car manufacturers are required to offer additional warranties on emissions systems for California owners. But, I just want to make for sure that the NAS Defender originally sold in any other state was the same as the ones originally sold in California?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

All trucks are 50 state legal.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 07:04 AM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
I had no problems with CA. emissions. they never batted an eye or stated I needed to do anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2009, 10:43 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Thumbs up

Mine had the cats stripped for off road only use in Utah and then new one's re-installed for sale. That's when I bought her and had her registered in Napa, CA without a single issue. Passed smog without incident and that's with undergoing all of the past exhaust surgeries. If you are even remotely stock from your headers to your pipe, you should be fine! - Dave
Old March 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

Brought my '94 ST across with me from N.J.. No issues in NJ, & no issues here in CA (though the DMV lady wanted to sit in it cause she had never seen one before). It has passed several SMOG tests, the last several months ago. Ya got to test them every 2 yrs.
Old March 3rd, 2009, 02:03 PM
mpsteil
Michael Steil
NAS 110#23,97 ST#665

Just bought a 90 from Nahville TN, had it smogged no problem and went through the DMV with no problem at all.
Old May 18th, 2016, 11:56 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

Dmv took $1,100.00 for a 5 month red tag, then refered me to the "only" conversion shop for a California Air Resource Board (CARB) waiver. G & K Automotive, Santa Anna, quoted me about $7,000.00 to convert and certify. My Land Rover is a stock 1989 model 90, with a 2.5 Liter diesel motor. I am seeking advise if this is the only way to go.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:06 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark White View Post
Dmv took $1,100.00 for a 5 month red tag, then refered me to the "only" conversion shop for a California Air Resource Board (CARB) waiver. G & K Automotive, Santa Anna, quoted me about $7,000.00 to convert and certify. My Land Rover is a stock 1989 model 90, with a 2.5 Liter diesel motor. I am seeking advise if this is the only way to go.
Are you the same Mark W from Modesto that left a crappy Yelp review for ULC? If so why wouldn't you believe G & K's Yelp reviews? Based on their Yelp feedback I would run away as fast as I could unless you have a desire to be a victim once again.

BTW, this thread is from 2009.
Old May 19th, 2016, 12:47 AM
Mark White
Mark
None

Ok, just saw the bankruptcy thread for ULC. Guess that explains why I had a bad experience. BTW, that Defender grill from the key board is pretty cool! I am so copying that. I have emailed G & K already. I should get an answer within 3 weeks.
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:27 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

Went by G and K in Santa Anna when I was in the area on business Saturday. They were closed. Saw motors on pallets on the dock... Maybe they change the motor to a 300 TDI? A new motor for that sum is maybe ok. Emailed George asking about this, no answer yet...Any one know how they do it?

------ Follow up post added May 22nd, 2016 09:30 PM ------

I would run away, but it's the only one I can go to!
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:51 PM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Quote:
Maybe they change the motor to a 300 TDI? A new motor for that sum is maybe ok.
Almost certain they will not swap the engine for a 300 tdi, mainly emmission control, KAT plus lots of paperwork and certification.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EMAIlL :

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old May 22nd, 2016, 11:59 PM
Mark White
Mark
None

Kat?

They do not put catalytic converters on diesel motors, do they? I would be happy to keep my little 200 TDI, but $7,500.00 for emission controls seems like a lot.
Old May 23rd, 2016, 01:07 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

Yes, newer diesels do have CAT's! Benz, BMW's Rovers, VW Porsche Audi, just to name a few
Hell, Our '06 Jeep Liberty CRD has a CAT.

Soon to come DPF filters too
Old May 23rd, 2016, 03:29 AM
rivermike
Michael
2008 LHD Tdci 110 Keswick Green

Quote:
They do not put catalytic converters on diesel motors, do they?
Yes they do, we also have DPF filters on our diesels here.

EMAIlL :

Current Inventory is listed in my STOCKLIST section

Worldwide shipping is our specialty
Old May 25th, 2016, 12:19 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

Yes, there were California emissions compliant NAS Defenders. They have an X rather than a V as the 5th digit of the VIN (SALDX rather than SALDV). They were only produced for the 1995 model year. All other NAS Defenders were 49 state emissions compliant from the factory. Of course the only difference I'm aware of is that they had CARB compliant catalytic converters. According to the NAS parts catalogue the factory downpipe with CARB cats is part number ESR3573. I don't know exactly how 49 state emissions compliant NAS Defenders were legally sold new in California.
Old July 14th, 2016, 01:49 AM
Chip
Andrew
1994 NAS Defender 90

My previous post wasn't exactly correct. All NAS Defenders are California emissions compliant. It looks like Land Rover merely differentiated later 95 model year Defenders (from VIN SA962674) with an X in the VIN number because they fell under a different CARB Executive Order issued on 22 February 1995. It looks like at that time California phased in slightly stricter standards. Here are the CARB Executive Orders for the different model years.

1993: A-277-7
1994: A-277-9
1995: A-277-11 and A-277-13
1997: A-277-16

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
land rover defender