Cairns Blue Metallic Paint 849 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 16th, 2013, 02:55 AM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Cairns Blue Metallic Paint 849

Hi to All_

I found this thread on the forum concerning Cairns Blue Metallic Paint #849.

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...rns+blue+paint

I have a '87 D110 300Tdi that was imported into the US in about Jul-Aug of 2012. If I can figure out how to post pix, I will do so- it looks great in the Cairns Blue, and I always get compliments where ever it goes. The 110 was exported by Landrovers UK into NYC or Boston maybe. I bought it in Connecticut this past April 2013, and drove it back to Az. A lot of fun.

Problem: trying to get info out of LR UK is like pulling teeth on a Mako. After several emails asking for the color, paint code, type of paint, manufacturer, and if it was a 1 or 2 stage paint (most modern metallics are 2 stage: a base coat of color, which is covered in a clear coat to get the shine and depth...), their customer service rep finally told me the color was Cairns Blue, and that their was no paint code for it

Total BS- it was like the bimbo was incapable of the remotest of understanding anything. All she had to do was ask her paint shop guys.... Anyway, another small shop in the UK did some legwork for me and came up with #849. BTW, that shop has a 2006 D90 Td5
for sale on ebay right now for about $18.5k USD Buy-it Now. Too bad we can't have them here.....
Research on my part reveals further paint codes of JEU 849, BLVC 849 JEU, and LRC 849, with a cross reference for PPG- Europe paints of 914610, and Dupont- Europe of PHYD 4789, and 4790.

Problem: I can't find cross references for any of those numbers on any paint code or manufacturers website I have for the USofA- including the PPg and Dupont sites. I need to paint the interior of the 110, with some left over for some other touch up work = at least a quart....

Question: anybody on the Forums have a autobody shop or have a cross reference code for the Cairns Blue 849 for Dupont Chromabase, Dupont Nason, PPG Ditzler, NAPA Martin Seymor, or RM, etc.- something we have here in the US? I will probably buy both a 2 stage paint, and a single stage for the interior work.... Any help would be greatly appreciated..... I really don't want to rely on my local paint guy using his 3M paint camera to try and match the paint- that has been disasterous on an old CJ5 and one of my 911s.

Many thanks.

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 16th, 2013, 11:17 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
It will take me some digging to find them, but I think I still have the centers for the holes I cut out when installed the roll cage on my truck. With paint on a panel you could just have it matched.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 17th, 2013, 01:25 PM
skrufy
Tim Timmins
1987/Defender 110

Problem solved.

US Dupont paint code is #740729, which is the same code good for all their levels of paint/quality, from the top of the line Imron/Chromabase, to their cheapest "fleet"/mass volume paints. This number can also be used by your local paint shop to convert the formula to mix RM, PPG Ditzler, or any other paint brand.

This Cairns Blue has been in use for some time by LR in Europe on various vehicles evidentially. My seller had LR UK paint this combination of Cairns Blue metallic/white top because he had seen this paint combo used by the Policia in Italy.

Thanks for all who viewed this thread.

The DuPont Paint division was sold to Axalta Coatings about a year ago. For the consumer/paint shops, no changes will take place, although the red Dupont oval symbol may eventually go away.....

Tim

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint