Cage Fabrication - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 8th, 2006, 08:07 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Cage Fabrication

Any recommendations where to have a cage custom built in the Northeast?

Thanks
Jase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 8th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Best bet around by you is to start asking around at local speed shops if there are any chassis builders in the area that do tube chassis work. These guys will have all the tools and experience you would need.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old March 9th, 2006, 01:38 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I posted your question up on pirate for you. I thought you would get more answers. Here's what I got:

wayoffroad
rockdog4x4
fred soucy
granite state performance
elias 4wd center
domenics jeep and auto

Go to forum.neow.net to look for others

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 9th, 2006, 08:46 AM
Jase
Jase
pending

Buck,

Thanks for posting that on pirate - I appreciate the help and the info. I'll make some calls and post up some photos when the work is complete.

Jase
Old March 9th, 2006, 10:28 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

What about Tampa, FL?
Old March 9th, 2006, 11:57 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Jase, let me know who you use. I'm looking for some fab work too.
Old March 9th, 2006, 04:36 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

I can recommend Wayoffroad, and rockdog. Both are good shops. Rockdog will most likely be doing work on my 'mog. Corey at Wayoff is a cool guy though.

http://wayoffroad.com/

http://www.rockdog4x4.com/
Old March 9th, 2006, 08:44 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

Anyone know anything about...

The Pit Customs - Rovers
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:08 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Don't know much, but anybody else feel that the close-up photo of that head porting job looks a bit wonky? Don't really say much about the engines either..... such as what they do with the rotating assembly or any details other than the head work and a few parts replacements. I'd really like to know what parts they are putting in it.

I'd reserve judgement until I could get a closer look at what they have done, other than the single red engine they have pictures of.

-Hans

Old March 9th, 2006, 09:34 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Well, with a quick search I found they are in portsmouth, but I have to wonder about a company that doesn't even have an address in the website.
Old March 9th, 2006, 09:44 PM
Jase
Jase
pending

At least the NXX look up puts them in Portsmouth - but with VoIP local numbers don't mean a thing any more.
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:14 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hans did you see this page? http://www.thepitcustoms.com/4sick.html

I think i will email these guys and ask them to join the forum so they can answer some of our questions.
Old March 10th, 2006, 09:30 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I'm supposed to be back up there in Derry in a few weeks, a trip out to Portsmouth would be fun to see what they do.
Old March 10th, 2006, 02:41 PM
Jack_Straw
Greg

Thanks for the email Mike, happy to answer any questions you have.
Jase, I'd love to do your cage, however we're a couple months out to take on any new work right now. We're currently in the process of moving as well as finishing up a project (Attila) and must be settled in by mid April as we're sponsoring the Spring Rally for the Florida Land Rover Club. I would recommend you give Aaron a call at Rockdog4X4, he's a great guy and will be very capable of building you a solid cage. We're currently setting up a 4 bay garage in Barrington, and are contemplating another single large tractor housing garage so we can better break up fab and mechanical projects, also in Barrington. This move is why we have no location on the ever so slowly forming site. Our location (computer) came up as Portsmouth because our office was based there and the shop was over the bridge in Elliot.
Abrooks, You should definitely stop in when you're back around, give a call, I've seen you often on other boards. Always nice to meet local Rover owners.
Old March 10th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

We can share the women we can share the wine.

I'll definately stop by next time I'm up there (wife's family is up there). Why not just move down to DC -- god knows we could use a half-decent fab shop and independant mechanic . . .
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:16 PM
Jack_Straw
Greg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks
We can share the women we can share the wine.

I'll definately stop by next time I'm up there (wife's family is up there). Why not just move down to DC -- god knows we could use a half-decent fab shop and independant mechanic . . .
LOL.. Well you never know, DC could be in the cards someday. You do have Jazz is Dead, Littlefeat and Ratdog playing this month. We're going to spend a day around there on our way to Florida. We were advised to check out Stone Camp, Skidmore Dam and Reddish Knob about 40 mins off I-81. Hopefully we can hit some obstacles and find a nice spot for lunch.
Old March 10th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Sure do, hoping to catch at least ratdog dependant on the travel schedule. There are some good shows coming from the early-mids alt scene coming as well, english beat and soul asylum on a double bill and the debacle that is The Cult anymore.

Give a shout when you're coming down, we can put together at least drinks if not some wheeling. All of those places are fine for a nice trail ride, there are better options in the area, though, for more serious wheeling. Or, you can help put the 90 in my driveway back together. How are you with tracing shorts and chasing threads?
Old March 10th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Greg: Welcome! Would love to see more pictures of your work on the website man, not too many people doing performance Rover engines and am interested to hear how yours are built. But that's for another thread, don't want to hijack this one any more than needed.

Anyways, we're a good group here. Glad to have you aboard.

-Hans

Old March 10th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Jack_Straw
Greg

Abrooks: I'll do that. We were looking for some moderately difficult rocks to get a better feel for the new suspension. Preferably on the way to a spot with some views for lunch. BTW, tracing shorts and chasing threads seems to be the theme of my life (where did I go wrong...).

Hans: Give a call anytime, engine talks always welcome. The site has had a couple different designers at this point and is just in the beginning stages. Until I find a competent designer, updates will be slow. Maybe I'll learn the ropes myself. Looks like a good bunch here.

Jase: I spoke with Aaron at RD4X4 earlier and mentioned that you may be calling him. Not sure how soon you're looking to get it done, but he's a good place to start. Other than that, there is a guy in northern MA that builds race cars and always has the sweetest stock available. I'll look around for his info and let you know.
Old March 10th, 2006, 10:13 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Jack_Straw: When you want to find some rocks, there are some good places to play in NH and Mass. I can recommend NEOW (neow.org) and the club I belong to NEWJO (newjo.org) NEWJO puts on a great rockcrawling event in the fall, TDR ( http://tdr.newjo.org/ ) that has some BIG BAD rocks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
cage