Defender Source Forum banner

BW to LT230 Conversion in an RRC

3K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Wolf Fabrication 
#1 ·
My viscous coupling is locked up in my RRC...

Anyone done a BW to LT230 conversion in an RRC? Is it pretty straight forward? I assume I need a Disco version with CDL?

#2 ·
My viscous coupling is locked up in my RRC...
Ooooo are you in for a fun time. Hope you have a lift cz without one this is an absolutely miserable job. Probably the worst thing on a Classic. You will have to remove the exhaust, the front and rear drive shafts, the brake drum, the chassis crossmember, the speedo drive, the radiator, the engine mounts, the entire center console and tunnel cover, jeez, what else? Good luck on those trans to transfer case 12 points that are buried in there where you cannot get a wrench on them. In my opinion it is easier to remove the entire transmission and transfer case as a unit rather than try to get just the transfer case out.

#4 ·
I've done it a couple of times and I'm getting ready to do it again on my '95 RRC. Besides the LT230, you will need the CDL, the mount, and the front driveshaft from a Disco 1 or early Rangie. The stubshaft on the ZF may or may not have the splines cut deep enough but it is easy to change. Besides from dropping the exhaust you will of course have to remove the center console as the CDL shifter has to move to the left and the hole in the tunnel will need to be enlarged a bit. If you remove the fan you can tip the engine/trans down and that helps. I removed the solenoid lock on the LT230 and just put the cover back. That's about all that I remember but I am sure I'm leaving something out. I plan on using the existing difflock light on the '95 with some creative wiring.

#6 ·
Everything I read online says it's a 3 hour job and not too bad to replace the VC
Maybe, but you asked about a swap of the TC, not replacement of the VC. For a swap it's a total gutting of the central innards of the vehicle. It will take at least a whole weekend, likely much more.
The VC you can do more or less with everything still in place.

------ Follow up post added September 6th, 2012 08:10 AM ------

I have a good used VC that you can have.

#7 ·
Maybe, but you asked about a swap of the TC, not replacement of the VC. For a swap it's a total gutting of the central innards of the vehicle. It will take at least a whole weekend, likely much more.
The VC you can do more or less with everything still in place.

------ Follow up post added September 6th, 2012 08:10 AM ------

I have a good used VC that you can have.
Yeah, I typed one thing and was thinking something else.

I'll take you up on the VC offer. PMing you now....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.