Buying Online - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
icculus
Neal
None

Buying Online

Hi, I am new here and looking to get a '97 Defender 90. Trying to decide between one that has ~ 75k miles and another that has 110k miles. Both seem to be well maintained and in good overall shape. The 110k one has been reconditioned. Does it make more sense to go w/ the 110k mile one since it's already passed the 100k maintenance? What is involved at 115k for maintenance?

I do not know how to fix a truck myself yet, but hoping to learn in time. Will a well maintained 115k mi D90 need a lot of work to keep going?

Thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 11th, 2013, 04:53 PM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Neal, have you or someone you know take a look at the trucks.

As Loic so eloquently said... "Online speculation will not replace onsite inspection."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:21 PM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

My .02

A few years back I bought a pristine 97 D90 SW and paid top dollar at the time from a dealer. it had very low miles (~ 65k) and while I liked it, I felt that the diffderence between a high mileage, well cared for example and the low mileage wouldn't be too much of a difference.

Fast forward to this year and I bought a 95 Soft Top D90 with 100K miles and paid a fair price. I couldnt be happier. Its drive great, I have some records, and it also had recent maintenance done.

My old defender is currently on ebay for $80,000 from a local dealer. what a joke.

Buy whichever you will like and be happy with. If you can have someone inspect it, even better. And be sure to ask for any pictures that you would like to see.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 12th, 2013, 12:29 PM
transientmechanic
Adam
1972 SIII

Hi Neal, we are both in the same neighborhood. Check out my website and the services I can offer for helping you buy a Defender.

www.overhillanddale.com
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:33 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by D90rovin View Post
My old defender is currently on ebay for $80,000 from a local dealer. what a joke.
Haha. Is your old one this red truck? If so, yes that dealer is on crack!

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=48943
Old November 12th, 2013, 12:52 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

There are plenty of us in the area that would be happy to lend a hand checking a truck out. If you're buying in the northeast, rust is of the utmost concern.
Old November 12th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by icculus View Post

I do not know how to fix a truck myself yet, but hoping to learn in time. Will a well maintained 115k mi D90 need a lot of work to keep going?

Thanks everyone.
I don't mean to be negative, but this is a recipe for disaster if you don't have at least a baseline of automotive mechanical knowledge or a LOT of money and the comfort of paying a lot of labor. Get someone VERY knowledgeable to look it over and test drive it, and spend the money upfront-no holding back, on all the ankle biter issues. Have someone replace every hose and ignition component so you have a baseline maintenance routine set (aka, get rid of the unknowns). And get that sucker waxoiled after you take possession of it.

Also come to grips with the fact that a 10+ year old truck will have issues, and don't be the guy that buys a 4wd that old and expecting it to behave like a certified used 2 year old vehicle.

Best of luck.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old November 12th, 2013, 03:31 PM
D90rovin
Mike
95 NAS SW

RiJosho, yes that is my old D90. I sold it and delivered it to a very nice buyer in Malibu back in 08 or 09 and have seen it on the local Autotrader before. I was very surprised to see it pop up on Ebay with such a crazy price.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
buying