Buying from Canada - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 11th, 2014, 01:23 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
Buying from Canada

I'm getting pretty close to buying an older truck from Canada. Private owner, all above board, 25+ years old, etc....

How would you, how did you, go about paying someone in Canada? You just don't go around carrying thousands of dollars in cash, across international borders, then exchange it, then drop it in someone's lap.

A direct transfer is OK, but could take up to 5 business days.

How do you go about getting the importation done when the paper pusher at the border could be in a bad mood and decide not to let it in, yet you have to, legally, pay the owner while it is still in Canada? He cannot bring the car here to sell it, can't even cross the border by 100 yards and wait in the U.S. Customs building -- this from Customs on the phone yesterday.

So, how do you juggle this around to make it work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 11th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Unless they take acorns still, I would go with a wire transfer or bank check. I bought a boat up there with cash without issue as well.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 06:43 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
i used a bank draft when i bought my truck from portland (opposite to what you are doing since i live in canada)... its certified so they know the funds are there...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:16 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I wouldn't carry more than $10K cash due to customs restriction on amount transported across borders. Every country seems to abide by that currency amount. They do seize it. It happens almost on a daily basis at the airport I work at.
And when I travel, I see the same signs overseas.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:20 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
pretty easy actually...bank wire. I send my folks $$ all the time (ea month) to Australia. I would take a couple $000 as a deposit in cash then have the wire already setup with your bank - requiring a phone call...upon receiving all the docs/title/paper/keys etc you call your bank....and you are now the owner of another POS that leaks everywhere....
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:22 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I wouldn't carry more than $10K cash due to customs restriction on amount transported across borders. Every country seems to abide by that currency amount. They do seize it. It happens almost on a daily basis at the airport I work at. And when I travel, I see the same signs overseas.
More than $10k of financial instruments have to be declared. It's not a restriction but an amount above which you have to declare.

It gets seized because people have no good explanation why they have it or what it is intended for.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:48 PM
Landy_Andy
Andy
1999 D2, 1985 D100 Truggy & 1951 S1

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
More than $10k of financial instruments have to be declared. It's not a restriction but an amount above which you have to declare.

It gets seized because people have no good explanation why they have it or what it is intended for.

See it all the time on the Canadian Customs TV show, mostly coming in from Hong Kong / China.... bags of money & don't declare it. Declare it, have it checked by CBSA & you'll not have a problem.
Old August 3rd, 2014, 09:55 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
More than $10k of financial instruments have to be declared. It's not a restriction but an amount above which you have to declare. It gets seized because people have no good explanation why they have it or what it is intended for.
I didn't state it was prohibited. Just restricted. I'm at work reading the customs importation document on allowances, restrictions, and prohibited items now. I'm surprised to see in the document that items can be imported from Cuba for non commercial personal use, but cigars are still strictly prohibited. I was under the impression all articles from Cuba were prohibited.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
buying