Buying Advice: Rain + Soft Top + Outdoors - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Buying Advice: Rain + Soft Top + Outdoors

I'm deep in the process of looking for the right D90 and want a softtop or removable hard top (no SW). The D90 will live outside (during evenings and weekends and garaged at work on weekdays) and we get rain a few months out of the year -- the rest of the time it's bone dry.

1. I would like to know whether I should expect that it's inevitable that a good softtop (e.g., Badger II) will still leak. I haven't seen but a few removable hardtops out there so figure I'm probably going to have little choice but to buy a softtop. Can I fix any leaks that it may come with -- or is it inevitable that you can't stop leaking on Defenders if you expose them to a full day of rain?

2. If I want to find someone who can do a thorough inspection of a truck, what is the appropriate place to post to ask for recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If you replace your vent seals, have a badger gutter kit soft top, and generally have well alligned doors, leaks in a stationary vehicle will be minimal.
Old June 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
If you replace your vent seals, have a badger gutter kit soft top, and generally have well alligned doors, leaks in a stationary vehicle will be minimal.
I see that gutter kit is something that can be purchased after the soft top was purchased, but can I install the kit if the top wasn't originally installed with it? I looked at the website and am having a difficult time determining whether you have to buy the GK version of the Badger II for this to work or whether it would also work if the truck comes with a Badger II Fabric Door Seal version. ?

Also, any idea if the GK kit can be removed and reinstalled? -- it would look funny if I took the top off in the summer.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 5th, 2013, 02:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Breath View Post
I see that gutter kit is something that can be purchased after the soft top was purchased, but can I install the kit if the top wasn't originally installed with it? I looked at the website and am having a difficult time determining whether you have to buy the GK version of the Badger II for this to work or whether it would also work if the truck comes with a Badger II Fabric Door Seal version. ?

Also, any idea if the GK kit can be removed and reinstalled? -- it would look funny if I took the top off in the summer.
Thanks
Use the search button a little. Search gutter kit, gk, and the like. I have a GK on my truck (look at my registry for pics). It doesn't look dumb on my truck with the top removed, but some say that it takes away a little from the full open-top feel of a D90 ST. The GK "fins" tend to be in the perfect spot to block the blinding sun, so I actually like them on with the top off.

Yes, the Badger for GK must be used with a gutter kit, and a fabric door seals one was not built/intended for the gutter kit...hence why they are completely separate items for sale.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Dragon Breath
Jay
Blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I have a GK on my truck (look at my registry for pics).
I see what you mean -- it looks good on yours compared to the photo on the website. Yours is black/powdercoated so it doesn't look out of place.
Old June 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I am a fan of the FDS over the gutter but I don't care about water leaks.
Old June 5th, 2013, 04:59 PM
kinetic
Kinetic Adventures
TDI's

Even the station wagons leak... it's a rite of passage
Old June 11th, 2013, 09:30 AM
ssi19
scott
1995/D90

I went real high tech with a solution to my ST door drips. See below. just a flexible piece of plastic between door and top. Anytime it rains I throw it in each door. This cut out about 99% of the water dripping the inside of door and on the floor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1299070613.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	74209
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3179979821.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	421.8 KB
ID:	74210  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
advice, buying, top