Buying a used Webasto (what to look for) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:32 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Buying a used Webasto (what to look for)

As my truck goes back together I've been thinking it would be pertinent to install a Webasto Thermo Top C, since I do live up in Canada.

I've been looking at used ones, but typically the descriptions are vague..."running when removed a few years ago" etc etc. Knowing almost nothing about these units are there things I should be looking for? Do things commonly go wrong with them? Do they have a fairly set lifespan? Are they fully rebuild able if you were to get one and it ends up needing work?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
They rarely go wrong, IME. They are very well designed. They are fully rebuildable.

Pretty easy to hook up and test. Just run water through it from a tap, supply a bit of diesel and 12V.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 1st, 2016, 08:42 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
That's good to know. Most of the ones I'm finding are out your way and I'm in Ottawa so I'm not sure I'll be able to test them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 1st, 2016, 08:55 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
make sure it's a Z or C. Those are diesel. If the letters are something else, stay away from it. There are some that were OEM spec for auto manufacturer, and the circuit board is designed to tie in to the canbus of the car ecu. Those are not what you want for a stand alone install. And there are petrol versions. again, Z or C. the main difference between Z and C, is the water circulation pump. I have a Z with the pump, but a C is meant to be an aux and parking heater. Meaning, it can run on it's own when the engine isn't running (requiring circulation pump), or it can run with the engine to provide supplemental heat (no pump). You can add the pump as an accessory if it doesn't have it.

if you get a used one, get the full rebuild kit, to put new gaskets and glow plug on it, and make sure you open it up to clean out any carbon buildup.

Also, if you buy as parts and not a kit, go with an original webasto harness, not aftermarket like I did. the aftermarkets are just as good, but it's nice to have the wires color coded correctly when referring to the manual circuit diagram.

once you have it all, the biggest technical challenge you'll face is how to get the cabin heater fan to work with it. easily solvable with this crowd. Also, how to tap the fuel is the other challenge. I tied into my prefilter/seperator. most recommend dropping your fuel tank and giving it a seperate tap. easy to do with the tank out. DIY.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:01 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
make sure it's a Z or C. Those are diesel. If the letters are something else, stay away from it. There are some that were OEM spec for auto manufacturer, and the circuit board is designed to tie in to the canbus of the car ecu. Those are not what you want for a stand alone install. And there are petrol versions. again, Z or C. the main difference between Z and C, is the water circulation pump. I have a Z with the pump, but a C is meant to be an aux and parking heater. Meaning, it can run on it's own when the engine isn't running (requiring circulation pump), or it can run with the engine to provide supplemental heat (no pump). You can add the pump as an accessory if it doesn't have it.

if you get a used one, get the full rebuild kit, to put new gaskets and glow plug on it, and make sure you open it up to clean out any carbon buildup.

Also, if you buy as parts and not a kit, go with an original webasto harness, not aftermarket like I did. the aftermarkets are just as good, but it's nice to have the wires color coded correctly when referring to the manual circuit diagram.

once you have it all, the biggest technical challenge you'll face is how to get the cabin heater fan to work with it. easily solvable with this crowd. Also, how to tap the fuel is the other challenge. I tied into my prefilter/seperator. most recommend dropping your fuel tank and giving it a seperate tap. easy to do with the tank out. DIY.

Ok that's great info. I've been looking at C's but had been unclear the differences and was unsure if they were all diesel exclusive.

I assume TSL 17 is just the part number for a C?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 1st, 2016, 09:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
all the manuals are out there on pdf. for any used one you find, google the whole part number to make sure its not an oem canbus type (eg stay away from BMW).

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:06 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I've already got the thermo too c manual, I'll do that though with the part numbers to make sure I get the right one.
So just to clarify all thermo top c's are good to go?

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
I've already got the thermo too c manual, I'll do that though with the part numbers to make sure I get the right one.
So just to clarify all thermo top c's are good to go?
pretty much but not all. also, there's the owner/operator and the service manual. you'll want both.

here's a couple threads to understand the issue better.

http://www.canalworld.net/forums/ind...howtopic=54308

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=92940

Old February 1st, 2016, 09:16 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
Quote:
pretty much. also, there's the owner/operator and the service manual. you'll want both.

Perfect!

Old February 1st, 2016, 11:29 PM
Way of Life
Randy
1988 Defender D110

Registry
Hi Wilboro I live here in the great white north also I have a Webasto Thermo I got it all under the passenger seat (Puma 2.4) and plumped in, love it works great, I run it off one battery (I have duals) so I can also have power to start her. You can download all the manuals on line, I will look for the links when I get home if you want or can’t find them. I bought mine from a shop in the EU called Main page - www.carheaters.eu - Best heaters on the internet! New and used! Best prices! He gave me a full no worries return, it was 100% like he said it was and I was happy best part is working on them is easy.
A guy on defender2net gives a full low down on an install in the front fender area.
I bought for about 600 Canadian came with a 7 day timer and all, set the day and time and up she starts. Warm for wife going to work early mornings, when I’m not home.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:16 AM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

I also have one in my Td5 and it's plumbed directly into the tank. My unit sits in the engine bay on the fender side close to the coolant reservoir. Remember to put in the check valve at the coolant reservoir, mine was trapping some air until I did that.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 07:21 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommieboy View Post
I also have one in my Td5 and it's plumbed directly into the tank. My unit sits in the engine bay on the fender side close to the coolant reservoir. Remember to put in the check valve at the coolant reservoir, mine was trapping some air until I did that.
can you show me the check valve you are talking about? I dont have one.

Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:18 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommieboy View Post
If you wouldn't mind showing exactly what you did. I'm looking at getting one of these buy want to ensure DIY will be easy enough and not take too much time.

You little rebel, I like you.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:37 AM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

Quote:
can you show me the check valve you are talking about? I dont have one.
You can see the check valve between the 2 clamps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160202_0812597.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	141101

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160202_0812385.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	141102
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:45 AM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgreenspan View Post
If you wouldn't mind showing exactly what you did. I'm looking at getting one of these buy want to ensure DIY will be easy enough and not take too much time.
Not sure if it's considered gauche to post a reply from another forum however this is the source I used since the guy is local to me and I was able to consult him directly. It gives a good documented account on the Webasto TTC install.

Webasto engine pre-heater install Defender 110 Td5 LHD
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:52 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
That is a strange way to route the heater.

Normally it is placed in the supply line to the interior heater.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 08:54 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
I see why you have a check valve now. That's not going to be necessary for non-TD5 water bottles, since all hose connections come in from bottom, preventing air return. That said, the webasto is supposed to be installed inline between the block and the heater on the internal circulation circuit when the tstat is closed. Having it involved with the expansion tank puts it on the external circuit of the thermostat. That doesn't make sense to me. when you are trying to warm the block up and the tstat is closed, you're basically warming the radiator.

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2016 08:55 AM ------

Red wins the brevity award for today...

Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:48 PM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

Quote:
I see why you have a check valve now. That's not going to be necessary for non-TD5 water bottles, since all hose connections come in from bottom, preventing air return. That said, the webasto is supposed to be installed inline between the block and the heater on the internal circulation circuit when the tstat is closed. Having it involved with the expansion tank puts it on the external circuit of the thermostat. That doesn't make sense to me. when you are trying to warm the block up and the tstat is closed, you're basically warming the radiator.

------ Follow up post added February 2nd, 2016 08:55 AM ------

Red wins the brevity award for today...
It's installed according to the manufacturer's instructions for the Td5...and works well.
Old February 2nd, 2016, 04:51 PM
Wilboro
William Ficner
1997 110 csw

Registry
I'm looking at a rebuilt and fully tested thermo top c unit with all the ancillaries, with only a switch no timer for $500 US. Is that a bargain?

Old February 2nd, 2016, 05:07 PM
Tommieboy
Thomas
2000 Defender 110 TD5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilboro View Post
I'm looking at a rebuilt and fully tested thermo top c unit with all the ancillaries, with only a switch no timer for $500 US. Is that a bargain?
You've likely checked out what they're going for new, if it's in good condition it seems a good price. I paid $700 (CDN) NIB, shipped. You're looking at another $200+ or so for the SmarTemp Fx timer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
buying, webasto