Buying a used Defender 90 in the USA - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 6th, 2014, 09:23 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMidnite View Post
"Also, just quickly perusing through the forum pages here, I didn't see engine issues or any other issues that were major problems."

dropped cylinder liners
That's typically an issue with '03/'04 Disco's and in my experience causes no issues other than noise. Unless you are referring to cracked blocks, which is a common problem if overheated.
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 03:13 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

I'm about to get my 1995 D90 Soft Top back from Texas Defender Importers in Austin, TX. Galvanized frame, 4.6 motor with hot cam, ported heads, etc, Old Man Emu LTR shocks, Rock Sliders, LED headlights and turn signals, Recaro seats, rebuilt transfer case and swivel balls, Kahn 18" black wheels(some will call my a hethon but I wanted black wheels(white truck) and to run 285s without a spacer as the Kahn's have the additional 1" offset built in. My point is I'll take pics when I get it back and if this thing turns out like I think and hope it will, you may want to give them a call as well. Your price range would be in range for them. They haven't become famous quite yet.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:07 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

I wanted to thank everyone for their input and suggestions regarding my interest and search for a Defender. Just reading many of the threads here, I realize there is a great amount of help and good will for those in need and I appreciate all the advice and help I received.

I ended up with a very finely maintained, rust free 1995 NAS Arles Blue D90 SW from Louisiana. The mechanic who performed the pre-purchase inspection was very happily surprised at the level of care the seller took with his Rover. There were only a few things that required attention. The seller himself was a complete gentleman and I was very happy to complete the transaction.

Not being familiar with Defenders or any older LRs previously, I find myself very pleasantly shocked at how much I like the drive. For those who stated it drives I a tractor, I must find a real tractor to try . There is a basic visceral connection to the machine and road that I forgot existed as there are none of the niceties that dampen the feeling as in more modern vehicles. Even the GT3 feels more damped and subdued. Driving to work is now a fun thing to do, even in moderate traffic. The view, both in front and rear is bright and unobstructed compared to my Suburban or other cars I've driven. All in all, though I took a little risk with buying it without ever test driving one, I'm very pleased with my Defender purchase.

First mod were the stickers. Thanks Josh for getting them to me so quickly. 2nd were the Perei LED rear lights that were shipped from MUD UK. Kevin got them here in only 2 days. 3rd was upgraded headlamps to the Hella Vision Plus. Having the ARB upgraded relay for the headlamps and Mantec spare tire carrier installed by my mechanic when he works on the Defender next week.

I'm officially in the Defender club as I've only took possession of the vehicle 3 days ago and my red brake warning light started lighting up intermittently yesterday. The mechanic did say the left front caliper was leaking and I hope this is what the light is on for. The saga starts!

Here are some photos I took today. Sorry I didn't get a chance to wash the car but the paint and the ARB bumper are immaculate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	front straight on.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	810.5 KB
ID:	95758   Click image for larger version

Name:	back straight on 2.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	95759  

Name:	driver side straight on.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	95760   Click image for larger version

Name:	front angle driver side.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	926.0 KB
ID:	95761  

Name:	back passenger side angle 2.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	810.6 KB
ID:	95762   Click image for larger version

Name:	front passenger side angle.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	876.2 KB
ID:	95763  

Name:	decals.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	589.5 KB
ID:	95764   Click image for larger version

Name:	Perei driver side lights.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	818.2 KB
ID:	95765  

Name:	Perei passenger side lights.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	699.3 KB
ID:	95766  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 26th, 2014, 08:42 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post

I'm officially in the Defender club as I've only took possession of the vehicle 3 days ago and my red brake warning light started lighting up intermittently yesterday. The mechanic did say the left front caliper was leaking and I hope this is what the light is on for. The saga starts!

That light will come on when the brake fluid is low. You should top it off before it leaks down so far that you have to bleed the brakes.
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:53 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Jimmy, I'll get the manual and read it over. Any special brand or type of brake fluid?
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:18 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I always use Land Rover Genuine fluid since I get it for free at work. Based on looks alone, the Genuine stuff is the same as Castrol LMA. They are the same colour and Land Rover always tends to recommend Castrol products.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:47 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Jimmy. Just checked; brake fluid is definitely not low. Will call mechanic tomorrow. Does the warning light usually stay on if there is a significant problem or does it intermittently light? Just have to decide if I need to flat bed it. Not on the last started it just to take pics.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:51 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Nice Arles SW! If on the off chance you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

Enjoy!
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:33 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Jimmy. Just checked; brake fluid is definitely not low. Will call mechanic tomorrow. Does the warning light usually stay on if there is a significant problem or does it intermittently light? Just have to decide if I need to flat bed it. Not on the last started it just to take pics.
are you sure it's not the handbrake warning light ... wiggle the handbrake and it will go out.

Save your flat bedding for when something is actually wrong.

just checking ... have the oil lines been changed?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Arcadeus
Mark Bichin
97 NAS Station Wagon LE

Registry
Quote:
They are notorious for coming on of you have low brake fluid. Mine will come on on an incline if I'm a hair low.
Old May 26th, 2014, 10:43 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeCinYa View Post
Nice Arles SW! If on the off chance you ever decide to sell it, let me know.

Enjoy!
I'll never sell!

------ Follow up post added May 26th, 2014 10:50 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
are you sure it's not the handbrake warning light ... wiggle the handbrake and it will go out.

Save your flat bedding for when something is actually wrong.

just checking ... have the oil lines been changed?
It could be as it's not easy to tell if the hand brake has been completely released. I did play with it to make sure it was completely depressed.

I asked the mechanic during the per purchase inspection about the oil lines but he said don't bother. Nevertheless, I'll get the Trailhead lines and get them installed. How can I tell if I need the threaded or fixed radiator fitting kit?
Old May 27th, 2014, 03:59 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Thanks Jimmy, I'll get the manual and read it over. Any special brand or type of brake fluid?
Dot4 It's on the cap and in the manual. Enjoy the read!
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:02 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
I'll never sell! ------ Follow up post added May 26th, 2014 10:50 PM ------ It could be as it's not easy to tell if the hand brake has been completely released. I did play with it to make sure it was completely depressed. I asked the mechanic during the per purchase inspection about the oil lines but he said don't bother. Nevertheless, I'll get the Trailhead lines and get them installed. How can I tell if I need the threaded or fixed radiator fitting kit?
Great advice there from your mechanic ...

Look on ECR's site they have a pictorial to help see the difference. I think they just come with an adaptor anyway so it's not a big deal either way.

As for the handbrake if you pull the rubber cover forward you can expose the switch.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 27th, 2014, 07:56 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
What number of the 500 is your truck? Welcome to the club, 95 is the best year.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, defender, defender 90