Buying a used D90 - Please help - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:22 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Question Buying a used D90 - Please help

Greetings,

I'm very new to the Land Rover camp. I've been a Jeep guy for the past 16 years, sold my last Jeep about a year ago, and got myself a 1971 Blazer.
Went to the mountains this past new year in my buddy's Discovery II, and fell in love with the Land Rovers. I'd always had my eye on the D110s and D90s, primairly because I remembered being a little kid, and geting a ride with my cousin, in my uncle's Series Land rover jump seats in the back. Good times...

Anyway, I have the opportunity to pickup a D90, and wanted to see what you guys think.
Its about $17K, its a 1995, Green, Hard top. Has 112K miles on it, and the engine and tranny sound/run very smooth and great. The exterior looks great, has the front bumper guard, with hella lights, and everything looks in really nice shape. The interior however, is another story. The carpeting is thrashed, the sun roof leaks, its missing two jump seats (has two of them only) and the front seats have been changed to Recaro seats which need to be redone. The healiner is sagging, and the interior overall needs some work.

What do you guys think? What should I look for when looking at this rover? How is the price?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Yours,

-arbi
Los Angeles, CA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2005, 09:58 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I wouldnt worry about the defects at that price. Interior stuff isnt too bad to put right and its less if you tear out the trim and dont put it back. You can get a full set of new seats (6) with new upholstery for 1500 ish or leave it as is an not worry about it.
Old January 13th, 2005, 02:22 AM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Jim,

thanks for the info. Where can I get a set of 6 seats from?
Pardon my ignorance, as I'm finding my way around LR world, and am clueless.

-arbi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 13th, 2005, 06:19 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
exmoortrim.co.uk

I've used them, they're great.
Old January 13th, 2005, 06:25 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

www.roversnorth.com as well.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:19 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I wouldn't worry about the interior stuff. It can all be very easily replaced. The worst of it is the leaky sunroof; however, that's par for the course, but again that's why God invented silicone. If you are going to take the headliner out anyway, you might as well take a hose to the truck and see where the leak is and try to fix it. For the missing jumper seats, you sometimes see them pop up for sale on this site, you just have to be patient. Exmoor in the UK is an excellent source, buit with the exchange rate and the cost of shipping it could be very expensive. Another good source for parts is George at www.roversdownsouth.com. Good luck with the purchase, welcome to the club. Enjoy.
Old January 13th, 2005, 09:52 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Price the repair items and counter offer. 2000 or so to repair the truck right off the bat is rather steep. Especially on interior crap. I would walk if the guy wasn't dealing.

Think about it. If the guy is too cheap to fix simple and relatively inexpensive items on the truck, then what about the regular maint?

www.LRX.com has a listing of NAS D-90.s I'll bet you can find some better trucks there. Worst thing you can do is buy the first one you see.
Old January 13th, 2005, 11:36 AM
WCURoverD90
Jason Habbal
1997 Defender 90 #1104

Yeah,
Def. if the guy isn't dealing with you then walk, but i think overall this is a pretty good deal on the truck. As for the seats, i have seen them pop up on ebay once or twice. Like david said, be patient because i have probably only seen a few sets of Jump Seats for sale used on here or ebay.

Jason

Land Rover-The Best 4x4xFar
Old January 13th, 2005, 12:59 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

THanks for the info guys. I talked to the guy, and he's willing to drop the price 800 dollars. Basically, I think I can get into it for just over 16K+tax.
Looking at all the D-90s out there, this seemed to be a really good price for a vehicle which is amazingly overpriced. Again, I come from the Jeep camp, and I'm not used to these prices, but for some reason, the LR bug has bit me, and I gotta have one.

I'll let you know how it goes. I'm taking it to the LR dealer to get a checkup done in the next day or so.

-arbi
Los Angeles, CA
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:16 PM
BarryO
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE

"overpriced"? it all comes down to scarcity value. There are only a few thousand D90's in the country.

Go price a 110 if you want sticker shock. They only brought in 500 of them in 1993.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:20 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Bottom line, as long as there arnet "deferred maintenance" monsters waiting to bite 16.2 is a fine price for d90 in this condition. I paid 15 flat for mine with 128k miles and a number of issues (ball joints all screwed, truck filthy, lots of dings, etc). You can look at mine as a bench mark and begin to understand why this is a very screwy range for defenders - after all, wrecked ones still sometimes sell for 10+. The title and VIN plate alone is probably worth 5k.
Old January 13th, 2005, 01:56 PM
dbwitt
Darrin Witt
1995 Defender 90

Just had my liner replaced at a local upholstry shop. I pulled out the cardboard-fiber stuff and they recovered it with a very hardy material-It cost 75 bucks.
Old January 13th, 2005, 03:32 PM
arbik
Arbi Karapetian
1995 D-90 SW #163/500

Dont get me wrong guys, I understand the value of scarcity of these trucks.
After all, what car can you buy for 39K, drive it for 12 years and 100,000 miles, and put it on ebay for $39K, and realistically expect to sell it. (Defender 110).
I like quirky/rare things. I dont know why. I just do, so I think this truck fits the bill. I'm not a hard core off-roader/rock climber. I go on hunting trips, campling trips in the desert, snow trips in the winter and fly fishing trips on occasion when the time permits in the back country. If it was most bang for the buck I was looking for, I'd probably just fix my 71 blazer, or get an american truck. But right now, I'm craving that Land Rover heritage, look, feel and quirkiness than no other vehicle can offer, as well as the exclusivity.

Having said that, I'm waiting for the dealer to call me and give me the news on what's good and back about the truck. It might be tomorrow, or maybe next week.

...very anxiously waiting...

Thanks for the info guys, I really appreciate the comments.

-arbi
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
good luck
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:28 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Caution Arbi, I bought my Defender to use for hunting/fishing and just getting away and it has turned into much more.

It has taken on a life of it's own. Wheeling in Moab, Oklahoma, Wyoming, Colorado, Arkansas and Kansas.

Sounds like a great price to me at 16.5k +/-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90