Buying a "found" NAS D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2010, 10:59 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Buying a "found" NAS D90

Hi there - I have a lead on a D90 that's been sitting for a while. Haven't seen it yet, but I believe it's been outside in the (US) Midwest weather for a couple years untouched.

With the assumption that I'm going to find rust, and other bits and bobs that have fallen apart or need R&R, what would you guys go in there with as an offer?

I can't imagine it would be LESS than $10K to get it daily-driver worthy, which has me thinking sub-$10K.

With the understanding that you don't have to go very far to get opinions on the interwebs, your opinions are appreciated.

Dogfood1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:08 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I would get in touch with a D90 Source member in the area, that can take a look at the truck with you. If it has been sitting for years, and it was not properly stored, there is a lot is issues that you should check for.

Also do a search on Rust, and find out all the locations to look for. Spend as much time as you can looking over the truck, before you make a decision to buy it.

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Welcome to the forums.

If you can, take a lot of detailed pictures, particularly of the undercarriage etc and post them. We can give you opinions on what's easy or hard/expensive to fix. You don't say if its a station wagon or soft top but the roll cage parts are very expensive if even available (used only) for example.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2010, 11:49 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

If it is sitting but it is rust free (sitting outside doing nothing on hard pavement does not cause much rust, even in the midwest), then it could be worth some coin. Mechanicals other than the manual transmission are cheap (used motors can be had for $500).
Old March 24th, 2010, 12:37 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Welcome to the board!

You could probably own a running NAS truck for around $15K needing a little TLC .. so this truck needs to be really cheap, as in sub $5k if you think you are going to spend $10K to get it in a reasonable state.

everything depends on condition ... do you know why it was left to stand in the first place? If it wasn't economically viable a few years ago to fix it ... it may be less desirable to do so now.

'Barn finds' are only great if it's has the potential to be worth a fortune ...

My advice would be not to buy without one of the more experienced board members taking a good luck at it for you.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:10 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Thanks for the fast and helpful replies. I've been doing a lot of research, so the rust is certainly a big consideration. It's a 94, which means soft top, which is an invitation for the elements to take over, especially after a couple of years outside, undriven.

The reason for it's abandonment are due to the the owner's health problems, and untimely death. I'm told that it was in decent running condition prior.

Am I overestimating cost to get it cleaned up and running? The last car I did a minor restoration job on was an '83 Porsche 911 about 10 years ago and damn if it didn't cost me $500+ every time I sneezed in its direction! And there were no rust problems on that car.

I would think between the rust possibilities, the engine needing some work, brakes, maybe paint and misc interior stuff, I'd hit that 10K mark pretty quickly.

Also -FWIW - I'm not looking at this as a flipping opportunity, I've always wanted one of these but the cost has always been just above my threshold. This would be a great (theoretical) opportunity to get one I could afford and fix up incrementally. So getting it sub-$10k (or even at $5K) would almost be a necessity. Is that realistic given the street values of these things?

Glad I found you guys - hope this whole thing pans out.

Dogfood1
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:24 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
another 'barn find' was recently pushed over the $7.5K initial asking price .... it would appear to have sold for more than $10k. That one had been in a barn rather than outside though.

Move quickly on this ... only after you view it, it could be a worthless pile of crap!

You need to avoid a bidding war to get this for a price that works for you.

Like ron said parts are pretty cheap .. everything you will need is available new ( maybe from the UK )

Oh and if the synchromesh has gone on 2nd gear don't worry ... they are all like that!!
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:28 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Yeah I suggest you tell no one except me where it is located
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:33 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I think your estimates are realistic. Not everything is cheap.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:34 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Yeah I suggest you tell no one except me where it is located
three would just be greedy!
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:40 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Funny how the trucks themselves are expensive, but the parts are not. Probably because we can legally import the parts. Is it really that inexpensive to fix/replace one of the V8s?

As for syncromesh - the old Porsche transmissions were just as bad, shifting from first-to-second was a 2-part exercise in patience.

Barry:

It's pretty easy to find - take a train to Milwaukee, a small plane to Oshkosh, wait 2 hours. A man in overalls will drive you to Cedar Rapids and drop you at the Greyhound station. You will be blindfolded by a guy with a mustache wearing denim shorts (be happy you're blindfolded) and taken to an undisclosed location outside Centerville. From there...

Aww, never mind - who would go that far for a barn find D90 : )

Thanks again.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:42 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Been to cedar rapids. I would rather not have the truck
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:46 PM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

I have seen engine fire D90"s go for 12K, and one with a blown motor, trans and transfer case for 10k.. they all needed alot of work and were still that expensive. Think about importing... there are a lot of guys here that can point you in the right direction and you can get a nice driver for 10k and in some cased that includes deliver.... just a thought.
Old March 24th, 2010, 01:49 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaterwood View Post
I have seen engine fire D90"s go for 12K, and one with a blown motor, trans and transfer case for 10k.. they all needed alot of work and were still that expensive. Think about importing... there are a lot of guys here that can point you in the right direction and you can get a nice driver for 10k and in some cased that includes deliver.... just a thought.
Thanks - Good idea. If this one doesn't work out, I think I'm sufficiently hooked, that importing will be the next avenue to explore.
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

You will almost 100% be furthur ahead buying a NAS then restoring it than starting with a 1980's 90.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
You will be blindfolded by a guy with a mustache wearing denim shorts (be happy you're blindfolded) and taken to an undisclosed location outside Centerville. From there...

Aww, never mind - who would go that far for a barn find D90 : )

Thanks again.
I know that guy.....not to worry, the mustache is fake.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
LandWorks
Rob G
95 D90

What is the deal with importing? It seems like the cost would be much more than finding something that is already stateside. Either way if its possible to get into a D90 for $10-15k let me know because I haven't figured it out for less than $25-30K
Old March 29th, 2010, 08:23 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
Sent you a pm if you need some help looking at the truck.
I'm close to Chicago, SW of the city.
And I have no interest in another 90.
Old March 30th, 2010, 11:42 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Thanks Clarence - replied via PM.
Old May 1st, 2010, 09:35 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Pictures!

Hey now,

Finally got a chance to see the D90 I referenced in the original post. I've tried my best to capture pictures, as I walked around the truck, and then some under the engine (the bonnet was stuck, so no engine photos.) It looks rough in places but pretty good in others. There's a bit of rust underneath - enough to spook me, but I don't know the difference between good and bad rust. It's been sitting for more than 2 years; tires were new - but I would assume flat spotted since; had new fuel pump/fuel tank replaced prior to abandonment; brakes were shot prior, look worse for wear now.

Here are some of the pictures - others available here: http://tinyurl.com/24xn2wy

Comments, advise and PM's about estimated value are appreciated!

Dogfood1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1771.jpg
Views:	1158
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	27254   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1799.jpg
Views:	1106
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	27255  

Name:	IMG_1781.jpg
Views:	516
Size:	166.7 KB
ID:	27256   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1784.jpg
Views:	500
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	27257  

Name:	IMG_1788.jpg
Views:	1107
Size:	146.2 KB
ID:	27258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1802.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	27259  

Name:	IMG_1810.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	27260  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90, nas