Buying a "found" NAS D90 - Page 8 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 8th, 2010, 11:02 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Blog update tonight. Anyone have some extra calipers in semi-decent condition? The front looks completely shot. Haven't looked at the back yet, they might not be in as bad of condition. The rust is starting to get to me. I had a dream last night I was scraping rust off the truck and found new, clean metal underneath. Talk about your subconscious desires...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 8th, 2010, 11:08 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jerod, get a complete front axle from a disco1 from a junk yard. I believe this should be under $250. You can play with the old one at your leisure if you want, or just keep the innards as spares and ditch the housing. Or is it's just the ends, swap out the ends (more work than swapping the whole axle).
Old June 8th, 2010, 11:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

NAPA, etc. sells rebuilds for short money, but I would not use them. New ones are on the order of $400 each from Land Rover. The best deal going is from roverguy.com as he sells two new calipers, pads and two rotors for about $422 -- of course you could rebuild the calipers on the cheap too.

The rotors actually look ok and should be fine after a few hard stops.

edit: a disco I front axle will not have vented rotors and will have the dumb steering linkage set up.
Advertisement

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:15 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Have you named it yet?

If not...

You should name it

Salty

As in personality

Keep up the good work! I am sure it will be worth the effort
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Regarding your messy brakes and axles - I'd just pull that axle and start rebuilding it. First of all, its kind of fun, and secondly, being able to pull an axle apart and reassemble it (while sitting in a mud puddle) is kind of a Land Rover rite of passage. This is a good opportunity to check the condition of the CVs, wheel bearings, axle shafts etc.

I would pull the axle out, strip it down to the casing, and start cleaning, repainting, and rebuilding the axle back up, replacing what is necessary (which will definitely be seals, brake pads, etc). A place like Goldline Brakes (http://www.goldlinebrakes.com) can rebuild your calipers for less than the cost of new, and they'll be all pretty. You pistons look like crap - you'll never be able to get them to retract enough to install new pads.

Honestly, this could be so much worse.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 9th, 2010, 08:07 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
Blog update tonight. Anyone have some extra calipers in semi-decent condition? The front looks completely shot. Haven't looked at the back yet, they might not be in as bad of condition. The rust is starting to get to me. I had a dream last night I was scraping rust off the truck and found new, clean metal underneath. Talk about your subconscious desires...
You should see if Chris will change your D-90 Source screen name to 'FounD90' like your blog, that's cleaver and kinda cool given your situation. More power to you, when your done, you'll have a more intimate knowledge of the truck, and a better ownership experience in the end, so keep the faith..

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:34 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
Really liking the blog! Keep up the good work!

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Good blog... Keep going, the calipers aren't the end of the world... everything is just components... all can be fixed/replaced, just take it one step at a time. Do it yourself and you'll become wiser in all things Land Rover and have confidence to tackle almost anything LR related by the end.
Old June 9th, 2010, 04:53 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Honestly, this could be so much worse.
Thanks Jim! That's the kind of motivation I need.

BTW- Finally got in touch with PO, he's located the Alpine Bar and the bar over the windshield that holds the soft top in place.

Off topic:

- Mods - should this thread get moved to the projects section? - I like it here for the immediate feedback, constant witty banter and mental reinforcement, but I would think the project/build-up section is more appropriate. Your call.

Keep the faith.

Jerod
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:23 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Back to technical questions

OK Guys, rust has found its match.

A couple of air tools (angle grinder with a steel brush and something called a needle scaler) and I'm really destroying the surface rust around the axle casings, brakes, etc...Some dedicated time at this and I think much of the rust can be removed, and painted with a coating of sorts. I'm totally in on the idea of sending my calipers off to be refurbished, seems like a very smart idea.

However, take a look at the what showed up after cleaning off some surface rust.

What the hell is that hole? Is there a missing rubber cap or something that's long since disintegrated? Doesn't look like the sort of thing that belongs there, but doesn't look like something that would be caused by rust.

Jerod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Axle Housing Brakes.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	28408  
Old June 9th, 2010, 10:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij

That is a factory hole. It is supposed to be there.

edit: your swivel balls are shot.
Old June 9th, 2010, 11:21 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
That is a factory hole. It is supposed to be there.

edit: your swivel balls are shot.
Take the good with the bad I suppose. Put swivel balls on the list...
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:00 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Before you go too far pulling it apart, I would get it "ron good" or in other words "inspectable." At some point it is worth it to consider doing a frame swap and build up a rolling chassis and transfer everything over.

How is the bulkhead? That is the biggest rust concern (IMHO even more so that a frame).
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:10 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

This thing has to be done in phases. Get the brakes fixed, get the engine tuned up, do some mitigation/patching on the creeping death, install a back seat for the kids and drive the damn thing. Other things can come later, once I've had a chance to enjoy the truck a bit.

Suprisingly, the bulkhead isn't bad. As far as I've seen, the rust is isolated on the driver side. There's a little surface rust on the lower portion you can see through the wheel well, and a finger sized area of rust that turned out to be a hole to the engine compartment a little higher up, above and to the left of the clutch pedal. Looks fine otherwise. from what I've seen trolling the web, and examining the ECR projects, it could be much, much worse.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:13 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Hmmm, ok well go down and get yourself some calipers. Make sure to spray the crap out of the brake lines in advance -- even still they will probably break.
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:52 AM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
Hmmm, ok well go down and get yourself some calipers. Make sure to spray the crap out of the brake lines in advance -- even still they will probably break.
If they break just look on it as an opportunity to upgrade the brake lines to something that won't rust - cupro nickle lines for instance, get yourself a pipe flaring tool, a roll of brake tube and make up your own lines... another skill mastered.

I'm with Ron on the frame swap in the fullness of time, building up a rolling chassis as parts come up for grabs. When the front of the chassis is that rusty the rest can't be that far behind. You may keep the rust worms at bay for a while with something like waxoyl but as I found out when the rust is thick and crusty the battle is a loosing one.
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:09 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

New blog post tonight: Braking up is hard to do

Thanks for all the great feedback! Hope you continue to enjoy the blog.

Jerod
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Looking good. Are you going to patch the frame or replace?
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Thanks, Barry.

Patch. There's no budget or space for a frame right now. Once the mechanical and what-not are sorted out, I'm going to get the bad areas patched.

Other than the front "dumb iron" area, it seems like there's just a lot of surface rust on the frame. Maybe a media blasting or soda blasting would help. That would come later, right now: Brakes, Engine, Back Seat, Patches to frame. Then drive, enjoy and decide the next steps.
Old June 12th, 2010, 12:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I am surprised they actually came off, I have had caliper bolts break (no fun) let alone brake lines breaking. If you get new pistons and seals the calipers can be rebuilt for $40 or so each. Put an air line (with a rubber nozzle) on where the brake like goes and see if you can get the pistons to move. Once one moves, push it back in and lock it in place with a clamp and when all four are loose, blow two close to out and then pull the other two out. Also long as the bores are not rusted, they are fine to rebuilt like that. Make sure to use brake grease (not wheel bearing grease) when you reinstall the seals. If you don't have any, make sure to lube the seals up with brake fluid. BTW use Castrol GT LMA brake fluid only. You could do an ok job patching the front of the frame with some 1/8in sheet. I have 3in x 1/8in strap around for things like that. Just cut more than you need to out of the frame and butt weld it in and then grind down the welds. It looks like all you have to do is remove the panhard rod brack and not the steering box.

Ron

edit: put up a picture of the area where the transmission crossmember is bolted to the frame, they tend to rust out there and you want to patch it now before it gets bad and dumps crap into the frame and rusts the inside out. If nothing else, you want to pull the crossmember and paint it and the frame and reinstall with grease or waxoyl between the two surfaces.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90, nas