Buying a "found" NAS D90 - Page 7 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
Once you get the nuts off the door bottoms, open the windows and push up on the door tops from there instead of trying to pry them from the bottom. I even used a rubber mallet to smack them up a bit. I don't think mine had ever been removed until I got the truck. The seals will probably be trashed after removal, but they are cheap to replace.

Make friends with George at Rovers Down South. He will beat RN prices almost always.

97 D90 SW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2010, 03:10 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSLongLake View Post
Once you get them off, immediately replace them with these:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-3...-set-of-4.aspx
Don't buy those RN quick nuts, they are mild steel, coated with some crap coating, rust enthusiastically, and otherwise suck big time. The parts you want are the ones that Atlantic British sells - they are stainless and when you put them side by side, are clearly superior. They cost a little more than the RN ones, but since the RN ones are a worthless waste of money, the difference is immaterial.

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9788.cfm

------ Follow up post added June 1st, 2010 08:16 AM ------

I guess that came off kind of harsh, but I really hate those RN parts. Probably because I called them and asked to purchase stainless quick nuts and they failed to mention they aren't stainless.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:16 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Jerod, I think I didn't say it but congrats. Sounds like you got a good deal there.

I have not done this, but I've heard squirting some oil into the cylinders is the ticket. I'd say pull the coil wire and turn it over with the starter a few times - I'll bet it's not seized. Then plug the coil back in and she'll fire right up.

But I'd flush the coolant and give it an oil change after you get it running (unless it looks awful on the stick in which case I'd change it up front - but be careful of losing prime on the oil pump). Then do the transmission, diffs, clutch and brakes too of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
As for getting it started - I'm sure there's differing opinions on this, but would you guys drain and replace all the fluids before you cranked it? I'm thinking remove the plugs, squirt some oil, hand crank the pistons around a bit to move some oil up into the head and give it a shot. The smart money is probably somewhere in the middle....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 1st, 2010, 04:42 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Here's a link to a downloadable pdf with door top removal instructions
http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/pages...all.asp?page=1

The Atlantic British quick nuts and stainless steel studs are on sale right now BTW.
Old June 1st, 2010, 04:50 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmityD90 View Post
Here's a link to a downloadable pdf with door top removal instructions
http://www.gulfcoastrovers.com/pages...all.asp?page=1
Gery, out of plan A, B, and C from the site, which one are you on to at this point? Also, I do not see beer as a vital tool.
Old June 1st, 2010, 05:22 PM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Gery, out of plan A, B, and C from the site, which one are you on to at this point? Also, I do not see beer as a vital tool.
I'm on plan E or F (not shown). Beer is a vital tool as it lubricates the brain.
Old June 1st, 2010, 06:46 PM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

Congarts.... I'm glad that you followed your gut and got the truck. You know it would have haunted you if you let it slip away.
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:33 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Update

If you haven't been following the incredibly exciting blog: http://www.founD90.wordpress.com

Here's what you may have missed:

1. Exactly one week since the tow truck dropped it off, I got the bastard running! Yep. A little priming to make sure there was lubrication on the top end of the engine, and bam! Started on the first try. Drove it around the block even. Certainly a different ride than my Audi!

2. Grille/brush guard/bumper all have been removed. Grille to access the hood release, brush guard and bumper because the bumper was rusted to shit. New one on the way (thanks Greg!)

3. Found the worst of the rust behind the front bumper, on what I believe is called the 'Dumb Iron'. Looks reparable, just probably not by me. Happy to report that I didn't see any really bad rust anywhere else on the frame - all surface rust.

4. Removed the hard top, found some rust on the rails. Most will be sanded/treated/repainted. One spot needs a bit more work

5. Brakes work...barely. Lots of pulsation. Brakes were the main reason it was parked in the first place. I'm hoping new rotors and pads will do the trick, if not, well...we'll see. Anyone have any ideas for where to get rotors and pads and other brake stuff in kit form? Atlantic British has a kit, but I'm not sure I need everything it comes with (Hub oil seal? joint washer?)

6. Removed the windows, not nearly as bad as you guys had me expecting. Still some rust, will replace with stainless.

7. Discovered that I have no Alpine Bar, and no mounting strip on the windscreen to secure the soft top. However, the OEM soft top seems to be in good condition. Looking at new from Badger, but if anyone feels like sharing, I'll all ears!

8. The 3rd brake light assembly is rusted to shit too. Could probably replace the whole rear door/3rd brake light/spare tire mount. Again - Portofino Red if anyone has parts laying around.

Not bad progress for 1 week?

Jerod
Old June 4th, 2010, 10:36 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
+1 for Badger top. Have had stock and Badger and Badger is %100000 better.
Old June 4th, 2010, 11:10 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

just catching up, looks awesome.
Congrats on the find!
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
YEs, you need a complete kit to do the brakes with the hub seals and gaskets.. I would check your calipers too. You may need to rebuild them is the pistons are rusted up as well...
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

Make sure that you check the brake fluid. Buy the little stips that you put in the fluid that tells you the condition of the it. When the fluid starts to go the brakes will fade over time. .. See now your having fun..you got the truck running and drove it around the block....awsome... and to think some people thought that your should have run away from that find.
Old June 5th, 2010, 08:59 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Did you ask the parents of the previous owner if they had any "spare parts" in the garage? Perhaps the header bar and alpine bar are sitting in a corner somewhere. Sorry if that sounds like an obvious question to ask the previous owners - but they may have them and not know it. Maybe a picture of the missing parts sent will make them remember.
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:16 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
Not bad progress for 1 week?
Awesome. But I'm going to have to pull the old "this thread is useless without pics" line!
Old June 5th, 2010, 10:31 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

I know, I know....I was sort of thinking the same thing myself. I promise to add some pictures here and to the blog this weekend.

Jerod
Old June 6th, 2010, 02:31 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Not so flattering photos

Like that girl from Seinfeld who looked hot under some light and hideous under others (AKA the Festivus episode)
My Defender is not portrayed in the best light with all her rust showing and looking not so flattering in stages of disasembly. But pictures you want, pictures you shall receive.

No captions - no time, but you've seen these things before...

Jerod
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2377.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	28298   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2381.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	28299  

Name:	IMG_2382.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	28300   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2391.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	28301  

Name:	IMG_2400.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	28302   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2402.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	28303  

Old June 6th, 2010, 03:31 PM
rmuller
Ryan
1966 S2a 88" | 2006 LR3

although the steel is rusty, it does appear that the body & plastic bits are in great shape
1966 Series IIa "Olive"
2001 Discovery II
2006 LR3 HSE7

Past: 1994 Defender 90 #416, 2001 Discovery II
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:11 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Definitely a good find!
Old June 6th, 2010, 04:35 PM
ssbartley1
Steve Bartley
1997 SW #160

Registry
This is a great thread- glad to see that the Rover found a good home-

Keep up the good work man-
"Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors."
- Hunter S. Thompson
Old June 8th, 2010, 01:23 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Sorry, late comer to this thread. Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the fixing. After spending a few days fixing my rear X member, I wish you the best for the chassis patching. Check out the rear portion as well (try to poke holes in it), if the front is bad, I'd bet the rear is worst. Remove the rear step bumper and you will know for sure, it rusts behind it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis View Post
When I told my wife that I was seriously considering buying a completely wrecked D90 and a truckbed full of parts and panels, she hung up on me. But she didn't say no! So I bought it. Man, was she pissed! She would not even drive it for a year after it was rolling, thats how pissed she was.
I just love this! How long was she pissed at you? I've been considering doing that a few times in the past few years, but I just need to see what I'll have to suffer and for how long the day I pull the trigger (and I _know_ it will happen with an older S I or S II).
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90, nas