Buying a "found" NAS D90 - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
all that and only seven pictures??

do you know the owner? is it for sale?

my 84 import was in far better shape judging by the pics so far...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
Hey now,

Finally got a chance to see the D90 I referenced in the original post. I've tried my best to capture pictures, as I walked around the truck, and then some under the engine (the bonnet was stuck, so no engine photos.) It looks rough in places but pretty good in others. There's a bit of rust underneath - enough to spook me, but I don't know the difference between good and bad rust. It's been sitting for more than 2 years; tires were new - but I would assume flat spotted since; had new fuel pump/fuel tank replaced prior to abandonment; brakes were shot prior, look worse for wear now.

Here are some of the pictures - others available here: http://tinyurl.com/24xn2wy

Comments, advise and PM's about estimated value are appreciated!

Dogfood1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2010, 10:54 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Ren, click on the link he provides to more.

The rust makes me say you'd want to replace the frame, but other than that I'd say its not too bad. The fiberglass top has saved the interior and most of the exterior save the rear light bar and tire carrier should clean up easy. I'd be shooting for sub 10K if I were you.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:34 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

For under 10k that thing is a steal in parts alone not to mention the title. Interestingly the marker lights are faded or look light orange on the bottom halves and clear on top. My 90s are exactly the same way and mine is also an early 94. I wonder if these came like this or not as mine really didn't sit in the sun.

Also whats up with it having carpet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 2nd, 2010, 02:36 AM
AmityD90
Gery
1987 ROW D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
For under 10k that thing is a steal in parts alone not to mention the title. Interestingly the marker lights are faded or look light orange on the bottom halves and clear on top. My 90s are exactly the same way and mine is also an early 94. I wonder if these came like this or not as mine really didn't sit in the sun.

Also whats up with it having carpet?
notice the radiator muff. Previous owner had issues with keeping the cabin warm. I bet the carpet was for improved insulation.

Interior is amazingly in great condition for sitting outside. I guess the fb top held it's own.
Looking at the Picts looks like not so good underneath. I bet going back with a mallet would really tell you how bad it is. I would suspect chunks will come off in certain areas.

I think there are a couple places where you can get a complete rolling chassis - I think I saw them for sale at DAP? Might be worth looking into if the rest is okay but if it was me I wouldn't go there unless you could get it for less than 11 to 12 k. Things add up really quick even in a decent maintained d90.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 06:46 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
The axle cases are in crappy shape too... THat will be one bitch to strip down for sure. Lots of broken bolts... Body panels and interior looks ok though.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:15 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Good points. And yes, the 'upstairs' fared far better than the 'downstairs' over the years.

Let's assume there's some bad rust: (see picture of hole)

What's the consensus on repair vs. replace? If I'm looking at this thing short/long term are there rust elements that I can live with and repair as life goes on, or are some necessary to repair to make it roadworthy?

Also, the axles/brakes area - would it be advisable to just remove the whole assembly and replace it with one in better shape, or can it be salvaged with some patience?

Better put - what are the priories to make a truck like this drivable?

DF1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1772.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	27261  
Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:21 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Is it me or the Radius Arms look FROZEN SOLID RUST with the Axle?

I would even unbolt the hood to open before you make a decission.
( unless 6k buys it and you can see from underneath that the engine , t/Case and tran are present )
but then again it is all in the price.

If you buy it for 6,000 and then you change your mind parting that truck will give you more than the investment.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:16 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
that rust hole right next to the panhard rod mounting bracket is probably the reason it is off the road. that section of the frame should be cut out and replaced at a minimum, if possible, or the whole frame swapped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfood1 View Post
Better put - what are the priories to make a truck like this drivable?

DF1
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Yeah - I think the whole brake system needs replacement, as well as much of the rods, bolts, hubs, arms, gaskets, pipes, connectors, and other miscellaneous junk underneath. What's that? A couple grand? No problem! LOL
Old May 2nd, 2010, 12:33 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
The frame is done. With rot holes like that, better to replace it.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 01:36 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Anyone want to share some budgetary numbers on a frame swap? Especially given the ancillary rust around the frame?
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Depends if you do it yourself or not. A new chassis is say 5k once you get it to your place, much of the rest could be sandblasted and galvanized or painted or grabbed from a donor D1 pretty cheap. Richards quoted about $1900 or so for a chassis swap but you're probably better doing a ground up build using a new chassis and d1. At least that is how I would likely approach it, if you're patient you can also sell off the rest of both to make a bit back.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:32 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

what does he want for the truck? I say buy and strip unless youreally want this one. There are no deals on rovers. You may spend 6k to buy it but you will end up dropping 14k into it so where did you really get? For 6k thought and I have no clue where that number came from I would buy just for the cage, body, hard top and title
Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:44 PM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
I say find a truck in better condition... not worth it. None of these trucks are perfect, but this one is just going to be a money pit.

A frame is going to cost you about 3200-3800 plus shipping. From the pictures it's hard to tell what can be salvaged, but I can tell you a lot will be replaced. I am doing a galvanize frame swap on a 95 ST right now and even getting the items at cost I am up to 7k in hardware/frame/brake lines/fuel lines and everything else I am running into. My truck was/is in way better condition than this one here. When I am done I will probably have 8k into the chassis build up, but it will be close to perfect.
Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:18 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hell, I'd buy this one and stash it. My guess its worth 6-7k when you take into account all the stuff it needs and the fact that I've never seen a non-salvage truck sell for less than that price. Assuming the cage is in nice shape, its a good place to start for a restoration.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:40 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

What is the selling price? I would assume the cage is nice as it is covered by the hardtop. Who knows about the hardware underneath
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:06 AM
leaterwood
Cleveland T. Leatherwood
95 D90

How long has it been sitting ? If they left any gas in the in the system... it will have turned into varnish. Now your talking dropping the new fuel tank and replacing the new fuel pump..ect. Since you couldn't open the bonnet you didn't get to see if there were any critters that made a home in the egine bay or chewed up the wire harness. Your going to spend some money on this one.... how much are they asking ?
Old May 3rd, 2010, 12:13 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

I think it is cool to find a truck like this but is it even worth restoring? Say it is 6k and it needs a frame, axles, brake lines, fuel lines, clutch lines, ac could be shot, capping is toast, tons of recoating etc. If you end up with another 15 in it isnt exactly a deal for a red 94. I hate to say this but unless you like restoring trucks I would buy it and strip it down to hoard parts.
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:07 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

$5k tops- for parts only. You can buy a very decent truck for $20k, and be driving it. As everyone has indicated, the mechanicals are cheap, the cosmetics cost- dearly. If it needs a harness, dash pieces, etc- good luck. You typically end up buying two trucks to make one, or if lucky, buy three to make two. Buy it for $5k, sell off all you can, and buy a nice truck with the proceeds. You will have plenty of work to do with a $20k truck....

Old May 3rd, 2010, 08:07 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And there are many directions to take a restoration - you could get a 110 chassis, do a 100 inch, whatever - point is that if you want a blank canvas, its a good deal on parts since selling the cage would make back half the cost at 5-6k, and you'd still have the title. If you want a driver, this could prove costly (or you might get it running for 50 bucks...) and if you want a driver cheap, then this one probably isn't a good buy. That being said, if I was in the states and it was offered to me for 6, I'd buy it sight unseen if the title was clear.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, d90, nas