buying a familiar 110 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:15 PM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

buying a familiar 110

Ok
Well it looks like I am going to be the guy who goes and buys zimm's 110. We have been talking and have a deal. I am super excited. I have a 97 d90 now but really needed this one too (ha)
Easier said than done... I am in California. He is in PA.

Do any of you on here have advice on buying a vehicle long distance? How do you go about doing it so both he and I are protected?

Since it is a private sale it is difficult to find a really secure way to go about it, besides me flying out to do the deal/drive the truck in person. Which is likely what I am going to have to do.

Any advice? It seems very commonplace on this forum for you to be buying land rovers from all over the place.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:19 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Search Janey.
Old January 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
It depends on how much you are paying for the truck. Ive bought trucks site unseen but I knew I could resell them for what i paid if they were basket cases. In the case of my 110 I bought it off LRX but I had the guy drive it down from Seattle to LA and only paid him after I inspected it. Its probably worth the plane ticket for the piece of mind.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2009, 08:41 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

go look at the truck! it's worth a plane ticket. I learned the hard way.
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:05 PM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I use a lawyer to escrow the deal. Both parties are protected. Cost like $250 buck (which I usually split with the seller) But even if not, great protection. I have done it numerous times, works great.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old January 6th, 2009, 10:30 PM
RyanB16
Ryan Hoffmeyer
94 D90 Red HalfCab #741

I acutally just bought mine on the east coast and I am in Denver. I flew out with plans of driving it home. I had bought a round trip ticket just incase the deal fell through. a couple hundred dollar ticket is worth seeing it in person. oh...and the airline gave me credit for the ticket that I ended up not using. Other then that....it was a fun drive home. careful flying with a bulge of cash in your pocket too. security tends to be little curious. especially the guy with the rubber glove.

Cheers

Ryan
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:13 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

1. Fly there to inspect it. Arrange for someone on this board to meet you there, or someone else who knows Rovers.

2, Ship it back. Frankly, I don't trust any Rover to make it coast to coast, especially in winter.

3. If I am the seller of a 110 I would not agree to escrow or any contract other than an as is sale. The truck is desirable enough that it will sell to someone on that basis, assuming of course that the asking price is reasonable. If it is not, then I would do escrow with a declared maximum amount compensating the seller for repairs.

Supply and demand!
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:23 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

That's a really nice looking 110 that you are considering, and since no one else has said it yet...Welcome!
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:29 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

www.whereisjaney.com
Old January 6th, 2009, 11:57 PM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Thanks a lot guys. This is all good advice.
I think that my instinct to go out and do the deal/see the truck in person is the best thing to do. I am paying some real money for the truck as you can imagine.
Doing this all in person seems to be the best way.

artm
1. Someone from this board would come help look at the Rover?
2. Driving it to CA is a bad idea? If it was summer I would think about it. I am really scared of any salt getting on it for sure.
The DAS shipper told me it has to be picked up, not dropped at a depot, so timing that while I am in PA would be difficult.
3. yes. I am buying it as is. All of that is not in question, just getting the seller money, and me the truck safely.

That Janey story is amazing. Truly. It should be written on a scroll.

Back to looking into options. Keep the opinions coming! Thanks again all

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
That's a really nice looking 110 that you are considering, and since no one else has said it yet...Welcome!
thanks! I have lurked for awhile here
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:32 AM
lrnasd90
J. Landers
1983 110 LHD Galvanized Everything

I would definitely go check out the truck first hand, but if you don't do that then I would escrow. The escrow deals I have done it the past where basically just to handle the money and title part of the deal. I sent the lawyer the money, the lawyer got the title from seller, the lawyer gave money to seller, sent me the title. Nothing more than that. Just a sure way of getting a title for your money.

And yeah I would ship it home, that is a hell of a drive in a Defender. I would do it, but shipping is cheaper and it keeps the miles down on the truck. Unless you turn it into a vacation...shipping is the way to go.
93 NAS D110 #137 Sold
1-94 NAS D90 #702 Sold
2-94 NAS D90s (#1112, #1586)tdi Sold
95 NAS D90 #262 Sold
1-97 NAS D90 #642 Sold
2-97 NAS D90s LE (#82,#222)Sold
110 Crew Cab Td5 Sold
Hybrid Series 3 Sold
3-D1 Sold
1- D2 Sold
4- RRC Sold
83 110 5dr Diesel (current)
97 Disco XD tdi (current)
I can quit at any time I am not an addict!!
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:35 AM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

2. It's not the salt - it's the cold temps and Rovers. Things just seem to get worse this time of year. Don;t forget, you're buying a vehicle you're unfamiliar with, despite what the seller says. Do you want to get stranded God who knows where with limited resources? Janey's journey is one in a million - better left to the history books!

I assume DAS is a car hauler? If so, try to meet the truck at a parking lot off a major highway. Saves them the trouble of maneuvering in residential areas.

3. If your bank has a branch in PA then payment is simple: go to the branch with the seller and transfer the funds. That's why I use Bank of America - they're all over.

Or, see if the seller's bank has a branch near you and draft a cashier's check there before you leave. It can be cashed instantly at the PA branch.

If no common branch, then try to arrange for a wire transfer. This isn't instantaneous, as it takes a couple of hours or more to go through but it works the same day.

Lastly, if that's not an option, you can always bring along a cashier's check but, as a seller, I wouldn't trust it until it clears. You should confirm the seller's thoughts on this before heading out.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:38 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Fly out and do the deal in person, it is the only way to go. I have bought seven defenders from San Jose to Long Island and I have flown out to see each and every one.

If you are going to ship it, I would recommend finding a private shipper with a 3 car flat bed. You might pay a bit more, but they are more willing to meet your scheduling needs and it will only take 4 or 5 days to get your vehicle back in Cali. Call a high line new car dealer (Aston Martin, Bentley etc.) in the PA area and see who they use. Plus you don't have to worry about it sitting around on some gravel lot in six different states before in finally gets to you 4 weeks later! And lastly you don't really want your very rare 110 riding on the top of an eight car hauler.

If you are going to drive it back, go ahead and take 8-10 days and enjoy the sites along the way as there is no use in getting in a hurry in a defender. Just be sure to get a good shop to check it over before you hit the road. I know Roverland down in D.C. does a great job.

Either way, good luck

Doc Holliday
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:39 AM
california
Geoff M
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrnasd90
I would definitely go check out the truck first hand, but if you don't do that then I would escrow. The escrow deals I have done it the past where basically just to handle the money and title part of the deal. I sent the lawyer the money, the lawyer got the title from seller, the lawyer gave money to seller, sent me the title. Nothing more than that. Just a sure way of getting a title for your money.

And yeah I would ship it home, that is a hell of a drive in a Defender. I would do it, but shipping is cheaper and it keeps the miles down on the truck. Unless you turn it into a vacation...shipping is the way to go.

Ok, and you gave a cashiers check to the lawyer to pay the seller?
How did you find the lawyer? Yellow Pages/Internet?

DAS is telling me that the vehicle has to be picked up/can't be dropped off. Once I have paid for the truck Is this normal for a 110? they tell me it cant be dropped at a depot because it is "oversized"

Thanks for the input

G
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Run away from DAS.

Where in PA is Zimm?
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:45 AM
TND90
Keith Allen
94 d90 ST

Yes run like hell from DAS, my neighbor and good friend bought an M5 out in LA and it took DAS over 5 weeks to deliver to TN. Also used them a few years ago to get an LE from long island to TN and that took just over 6 weeks.

Doc Holliday
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:20 AM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Geoff,
Depending on the location of the truck, you will probably be able to get someone here to go look at the truck for you and give you their thoughts. I know if there was a truck within for sure 50 miles, and depending on the day maybe further, I would certainly check it out for someone. Not saying I or they would catch everything, but it would certainly save a trip if the thing was a big steamy lump of dog doo.

You could also look at having a "professional" inspection company take a look. Basically all you are going to get here is a wad of photos, but you can give specific instruction on what to look for and photograph. There are plenty of posts on here covering all of those items. Not many things at all will differ from a 90. None of them will be aware of all of the "unique" characteristics of these vehicles.

Depending on location you could ask Zimm to take it to an independent shop that someone on the board or area could recommend for rovers. Have them take a look and provide a report. Less time and $ for a resonable report.

I did the last 2 while searching for mine and had no surprises when mine arrived. Full disclosure is that the one I eventually wound up with came from dealer, so I had fewer concerns.

You can also go back through and review the posts that Zimm made regarding the truck during his own evaluation and post purchase both on here and ExpeditionPortal.com.

Just a few thoughts.
Matt
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:04 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Try these guys, we used to use them all the time. They are slightly more expensive than some, but they are very punctual and we've never had a problem with damage.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:09 AM
floyd650
Alex Lapidus
1994 D90 ST #1716

I bought my 90 off of craigslist in Anchorage and drove it back to Portland, OR. I had the local Rover dealership check it out and called it good. I put $2000 down via money order and took a bank check to AK with the difference. I drove it back to Portland without a hitch. I think that there is some inherent faith required in this type of transactions. Actually just owning one of these vehicles requires a fair amount of blind faith.

Incidentally buying a car remotely was fantastic, and I felt like the trip was actually part of the bargain. When was I ever going to have the chance to drive one-way from Alaska (my picture by my username is from that trip)?
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
JRW
John
94 D90 ST #1247

I purchased my D90 out of FL this summer and was happy I made the trip to look over the vehicle. I would check out Athen'a Auto Movers for a shipping quote. I was very pleased with her service and the quick shipping.

http://athenasautomover.com

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
110, buying