Buying a Defender - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:02 PM
shifty22123
Louis Swanepoel
NONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
One thing I have found with Rovers; you don't find them, they find you. Every one I have ever owned have been happened upon. I have never had to search. If it is meant to be, it will.
Nice words of wisdom!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:38 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
One thing I have found with Rovers; you don't find them, they find you. Every one I have ever owned have been happened upon. I have never had to search. If it is meant to be, it will.
Bill:

I take it you're single (or a virgin) as well?

Just kidding buddy .
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 11th, 2012, 10:27 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Also - from what I've seen 15-18k can get you a decent ROW 80's defender usually with a 200 or 300tdi swap. expect some things needing repair, but the core should be good.

I picked up my 88 with a 2.5td in it for 9500, and quickly sank 4500 into it. Not that all of that $4500 was necessary, but it did go fast.

I'm happy with the truck and it is a reliable "toy". I was thinking about putting in a 200tdi, but honestly the 2.5td works very well, with no issues. I'll drive it till it fails and then worry about a swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 12th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Rosproline157
Matt Oaks
1992 Defender 90

Registry
I am right with you!
Old January 13th, 2012, 11:51 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

I thought this guy was a troll for a while, but I guess the ESL might have been the issue.

If you just want a cool truck, and you have workshop skills and/or inclination/time/tools, get a ROW on the 25 year exemption and put the time in. Get one already LHD. I don't know why more people don't do this, maybe language barrier, but if I was going to buy a 25yr old defender i'd go to germany. Granted I have extensive contacts who could help me out there, but just a few reasons: 1, they're LHD, 2, germany doesn't F-around with their transportation laws/enforcement. All of your equipment has to be functional and in good condition or you can't drive on the roads (headlights, tail-lights, glass, brakes, frame, body work, etc etc), and they strictly enforce it. I'd say easily 50% of the cars on the road in the US wouldn't be allowed to drive in germany.
Old January 13th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Germans use lots of salt on their roads. While what you say about TUV requirements etc is true, trucks from Southern France and Spain are far better lhd candidates. I'll take a sun faded rust free truck anyday over a dutch, swiss, or german truck thats been exposed to salt. Just my .02 having imported trucks from those countries.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 13th, 2012, 01:32 PM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Andrew View Post
I thought this guy was a troll for a while, but I guess the ESL might have been the issue.

If you just want a cool truck, and you have workshop skills and/or inclination/time/tools, get a ROW on the 25 year exemption and put the time in. Get one already LHD. I don't know why more people don't do this, maybe language barrier, but if I was going to buy a 25yr old defender i'd go to germany. Granted I have extensive contacts who could help me out there, but just a few reasons: 1, they're LHD, 2, germany doesn't F-around with their transportation laws/enforcement. All of your equipment has to be functional and in good condition or you can't drive on the roads (headlights, tail-lights, glass, brakes, frame, body work, etc etc), and they strictly enforce it. I'd say easily 50% of the cars on the road in the US wouldn't be allowed to drive in germany.
It is not quite that easy. Availability and cost play into things. As Doug mentions you can look in the southern EU to get a nice truck but seems that the Russians are buying up everything possible. The money is good and they are paying top dollar. As you know in Spain they are not rovers but the Spanish version that you will find. (leaf sprung) Nothing wrong with that, just doesn't say Defender.
Old January 13th, 2012, 05:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC22958 View Post
It is not quite that easy. Availability and cost play into things. As Doug mentions you can look in the southern EU to get a nice truck but seems that the Russians are buying up everything possible. The money is good and they are paying top dollar. As you know in Spain they are not rovers but the Spanish version that you will find. (leaf sprung) Nothing wrong with that, just doesn't say Defender.
That's the Santana I believe...
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 13th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Skeena river rover
jeroen
1997 300 TDI 110

yes santana and they look completely different. outside and inside! The defender looks 100 times better!

the santana's are very cheap in Europe! defenders.......not.

if you want to see how they look like click on the link below. I know it is Dutch but the pics will tell the story.
Good quality defenders are getting hard to find! rust piles not so much.

http://auto.marktplaats.nl/land-rove...1#photoGallery

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
buying