Buying A 94 Defender 90 With 40,000 Kilometers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 9th, 2005, 02:52 AM
retep56
Peter Rozniowski

Buying A 94 Defender 90 With 40,000 Kilometers

I am thinking of buying a 1994 Defender 90 With 40,000 kilometers on it ,standard ,with hard top and looks immaculate ( Looks as if it were made in 2005 ) , this will be my 1st Land Rover.
After reading some other posts on the forum I am concerned and wondering if 40,000 kilometers is enough driving over the last 11 years by the previous owner to avoid seal and gasket rot from minimal usage.I do not want to be surprised with expensive maitenance.
With Thanks retep56
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 9th, 2005, 09:09 AM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

Regardless of usage, time also takes its toll and it is difficult to determine whether or not the seals will be good--if the truck is as well maintained as you say, then I doubt you will have many issues other than those you can determine by visual inspection. If it was up to me, though, I would love to have the opportunity to have a pristine, 40,000K truck--those are pretty rare finds and any seal replacement would a very small price to pay (although you may be paying a good deal for such a low mileage truck--or you are very fortunate). There are too many variables that are not described--such as were all the miles driven in 1994/1995 and it has been sitting ever since, or was it driven a little every year, ect. Ideally, it would be driven a little every year--long stretches of time between drives (years) can distort some seals in a hardened state that can lead to leakage, but those are usually identified on inspection.

Sounds like you found a nice example of a D90, though. Good luck and please do remember that it is an 11 year old truck--it will have some issues and you must expect that.
Old December 9th, 2005, 08:12 PM
retep56
Peter Rozniowski

Hi

Thanks for your reply Davis,I found your information helpful. I forgot to mention that the Defender 90 is the 3.9L
gas version ,when I took it for a test drive the engine was very tight and powerful and a dream to drive ,after the test drive I was helplessly hooked.During the 1970`s a friend had an older 110 ( Full size ) or it`s equivalent model for that era which he bought in rough ship because that was all he could afford ( Probably around 1960 model year),I spent a lot of time in it growing up as a teenager,I have also gone through 3 Suzuki Samari jeeps with standard transmissions as well as 4 BMW`s, all standards and 1 Mercedes Benz automatic.Compared to my friends orginal 1960`s Land Rover and the 3 Suzuki`s , test driving this D90 about a week and a half ago was like driving the ultimate Land Rover of my dreams.This D90 which I have placed a deposit on,and which I will make a final decision on tomorrow belongs to the owner of the Land Rover dealership in my city,I was told that it was his personal jewel ,and gealously took amazing care of it, including instaltion of all the updates and upgrades available for it when they would come out ( Like the transmission upgrade to the LT380 from the stock) .I am going to take the D90 out again for a 2nd and last test drive and inspection tomorrow before making my final decision,where do you suggest I look for seal and gasget rot. I am assuming that all the mileage was accumulated gradually over the last 11 years because the owner was a real enthusiest from what I understand , and also very knowladgeble about Land Rovers.
With Thanks Peter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, buying, defender 90