burning up coils - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 23rd, 2005, 03:50 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

burning up coils

I am on a two month stretch of ignition problems.. Iwas fighting a problem where my vehicle would randomly stall while driving.. It seems that new ignition module #2 did the trick.. My new problem is that my coil is generating a lot of heat and burning out.. Two coils in the last 5 weeks.. I had thought that the first one was defective and replaced with a new bosch.. last night I was parked with the engine not running but the ignition switch and sereo on for a couple of hours and smelled something burning.. Opened the hood and had a lava flow coming out of my smoldering coil.. put a spare coil in and it started up and ran fine but it still seems that the coil is getting way too hot.. in the last two months I have replaced the inition module, coil, plug wires, plugs, cap , rotor..

Any suggestions??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2005, 04:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I'd get a voltage meter in there and check that you aren't pushing too much into the ignition system..... your voltage regulator may have gone bad.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old July 23rd, 2005, 07:43 PM
tmore
Tom More
1995 D90

Checked the voltage and it is at about 12.4v.. seems to be about normal?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
coil