burned hand brake cable & starter motor ? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:37 PM
Billyboy
Bill Struthers
2010 defender 90

Angry burned hand brake cable & starter motor ?

Just wondering if anyone can throw some light on this issue I have with my landrover Defender 90.

I purchased a 2010 Defender 90 recently so its still under a 3 monthy aussie warranty but I have a rather interesting issue the hand brakes keeps burning out including the original starter motor ,must be drawing current from somewhere and using the HB Cable as an earthing point ,any auto mechs throw any light on this as my local mechs a bit baffled ?

wondering if anyone has had the same problem ,there is a lot additional attachments fitted to the landy ,ie winch etc

so if anyone hads any ideas please let me know ??????

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 24th, 2014, 03:36 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi Bill,
It sounds as if the engine earth strap is loose missing or corroded, when you start the vehicle the earth connection is via the handbrake cable.
This is a common issue, I have made jump links for my 90 that link either side of the engine mounts and gearbox mounts I've also upgraded the size of the earth cable & made sure there are a couple of earth connections from the battery.

If you have a woven wire earth strap bin it..

regards

Gren
Old February 24th, 2014, 09:58 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
Hi Bill,
It sounds as if the engine earth strap is loose missing or corroded, when you start the vehicle the earth connection is via the handbrake cable.
This is a common issue, I have made jump links for my 90 that link either side of the engine mounts and gearbox mounts I've also upgraded the size of the earth cable & made sure there are a couple of earth connections from the battery.

If you have a woven wire earth strap bin it..

regards

Gren
Some of what he said, but I have found that allot of people who remove engines forget where (sometimes) the earth strap was fitted. I have come across earth straps fitted to the bolts where the bulkhead bracket is bolted to the chassis. There is no internal tubes inside of the chassis at this point, so All you are doing is squeezing the chassis together and will never get a proper earth.

The strap should be fitted to the left hand engine mount bracket of the chassis and should be a hole facing aft for it (sometimes)

The welding of the hand brake cable was/is an on going fault to D2's as the strap comes loose.

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2014, 10:57 AM
TeriAnn
Teriann Wakeman
1960 Dormobile

Registry
It is always a good idea to run a ground strap directly from a starter motor mounting bolt to the chassis. And to remove any paint between the bolt and chassis or starter motor flange where the cable will touch. paint acts as in insulator.

So you drive a Series IV Land Rover which is why you are posting in the Series LR section. At least your problem is something we all have in common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 27th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Billyboy
Bill Struthers
2010 defender 90

it looks like the prob was in the battery bay its self, the aux Battery was moving backwards ? and touching the metal support strap and arching out ???? go fig? but I only got it back yesterday so watch this space for further developments but in the mean time,the techs have placed some shrink sleaving on the strap to prevent it happening again etc

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake, motor, start, starter