Tags
bumper winch
2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  DMSLongLake 
#1 ·
So I finally finished my big spring project:

New Terrafirma Bumper form www.lucky8llc.com
Move turn signals to marker lights
Ghetto fab driving light mounts for the lights that used to be on the brush bar
Repair M8000 that was damaged (2 new drum supports and 2 new tie rods)
New fairlead and synthetic line from www.amsteelblue.com
Warn wireless remote install

HOWEVER:

The winch seems a little lound/grindy. I never used this winch last year (except to spool 2-3 feet in and out) and it has been 5 years since I have had a winch...so I am not sure what is OK.

Seems a little grindy/crunchy when powering in/out. Freespools OK and makes a similar noise if I run the motor in neutral.

I had to take apart the winch to install the new drum supports and everything looked clean and lubed inside, so I didn't bother to take the gears out or grease anything...just took the two end-caps off and replaced the drum support.

Do I need to worry?

Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
IIRC, smaller planetaries still partially turn when in neutral. Large outer planetary does not. Pretty easy to pull the gear box. Pull out the large planetary and smaller ones underneath. Set screw in gear case holds in the selector, then the outer gear can come out. Might be chipped teeth down at the bottom of the gear case where the outer gear engages it. (note orientation of that small planetary outer gear when you pull it - toothed end goes in first)

#4 ·
can you tell me more about this:
(note orientation of that small planetary outer gear when you pull it - toothed end goes in first)

Is this the gear the "falls out" when you take it apart?

The Warn manual does not indicate a specific orientation on this gear.

dave

#5 ·
OK, went down and pulled apart an M8000 we have here real quick.

First pic shows clutch lever removed - set screw lives in circled hole, then the lever pulls out. It'll only go in when the cam nob sits into the slot in the outer planetary ring.

Next photo is of gear housing removed. On the left if the large planetary housing, then the large planetary, wear ring (on the allen set), and the small planetary housing. Going together, the large planetary housing engages pins in the winch body, so it can only go on one way (but can rotate into three different positions - doesn't matter). Large planetary goes into that housing with the male gear/spline in it's center engaging the female in the wire hub. Wear ring has a small relief in one surface (circled) - this goes to the large planetary.

Third pictures show small planetaries. They go in in the arrangement shown. Notice smaller and smaller spur gears as you go deeper into the housing (green circles). Red circle is of the small planetary outer gear spline that engages the case when the clutch lever is moved. This has to go into the housing in the orientation shown. Notice the groove in the outside of this gear - this is what the Engage lever cam slides into when assembled. The clutch action comes from moving the outer gear left and right - to the right, the spline engage a spline deep in the housing to stop the outer gear from rotating. This deep spline in the right most housing (in picture) is what you want to look at to see if there are ground or missing teeth.

Clean everything - air is best to blow any chunks out of the plantaries.

hope this helps

Attachments

#6 ·
16kpsi:

Thanks for the info. I am tentative to tear into it, as I just had it apart and everything looked and sounded fine.

I just went outside and ran it a few times and listened/felt for where the noise was coming from...

It appears to be coming from the motor side and not the gear side....any input as to what could be happening on the other side or would a gear issue resonate to that side.

Just want to be sure I cover my bases before I go buy the seals and lube to work on the gear housing.

#7 ·
motor is just a shaft coming across with a hex rod that goes into that smallest spur gear. Maybe a chuck of something boucing around in there. worst would be a chunkc of permament magnet broke off and is bouncing on the armature. Didn't it get dropped of knocked.

It really isn't that hard to tear into. Worth the piece of mind.

#8 ·
Come to think about it...it got dropped when I was pulling it off of my old bumper....but didn't fall far and landed on my Race Deck floor. Was not a huge impact, as the ground broke the fall before the terminal was ripped off of the ground cable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.