bumper mounted fogs on Equipe comp bumper - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:26 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

bumper mounted fogs on Equipe comp bumper

I've already utilized the NAS roll bar light tabs for flood/spot lights. I have an extra auxiliary switch and would somehow like to add two fogs to the front bumper area. I was wondering if anyone has fabbed up brackets or come up with interesting ideas for mounting 2 round auxiliary lights on either side of an Equipe bumper mounted winch? It's the bumper that doesn't have any provisions for extra lights. I was thinking one could use the frame horn mounting bolts- fab brackets that come off of those attachment points. Any ideas/words of wisdom/pics to post would be appreciated.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2010, 08:55 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Have you considered other options like LED light bars? My current plan is to put an LED bar across the top of the grill just below the trim panel and to embed two 90mm flush mount fog lamps in the grille itself, I am doing the grille myself here though. I always found the big round lamps on my ARB on the D2 to block a lot of access space so have been investigating alternatives.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 30th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

On my 110 I did use brackets coming off the two bolts holding the bumper to the frame. It comes out then up and then out again. It is for my Hella 4000 HIDs and the ballast is mounted on the back of the vertical section. Works quite well, with no noticable vibration - I did use 1/4" steel strap 3" wide - so it is sturdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2010, 10:17 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
On my 110 I did use brackets coming off the two bolts holding the bumper to the frame. It comes out then up and then out again. It is for my Hella 4000 HIDs and the ballast is mounted on the back of the vertical section. Works quite well, with no noticable vibration - I did use 1/4" steel strap 3" wide - so it is sturdy
Man, if you could snap a couple of shots of that I'd sure appreciate it! That sounds just like what I'm looking for.

------ Follow up post added March 30th, 2010 08:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh View Post
Have you considered other options like LED light bars? My current plan is to put an LED bar across the top of the grill just below the trim panel and to embed two 90mm flush mount fog lamps in the grille itself, I am doing the grille myself here though. I always found the big round lamps on my ARB on the D2 to block a lot of access space so have been investigating alternatives.
I hadn't considered LED's- but there is a light review this month in Overland Journal with some nice Safari Design ones. I hate to say it but I'm a bit vein when it comes to how "cool" my D90 looks, so I'd have to think about that.
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old March 31st, 2010, 08:33 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Jay, you don't have a lot of options for that bumper. I liked the clean look of it so opted for one without the A-bar on yours. The only thing I can think of is welding some small L brackets to either side of the winch. Or you can have a fab shop bend up an A-bar and weld it in. As a last resort, I can bend you up some 2" tube with some light tabs and you can get it installed.

Or sell your bumper - it's worth over $1k!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	26193  

Semper Fi!
Old March 31st, 2010, 06:55 PM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Here are some photos. It only works with a normal winch - the big Warn winch/air compressor combo on my 90 is too wide.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0611.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	26200   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0612.JPG
Views:	147
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	26201  

Name:	DSC_0613.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	26202  
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:11 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Just remember, its much more important to have an obscene amount of light than air going through your radiator. Especially on road.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:15 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Jay, you don't have a lot of options for that bumper. I liked the clean look of it so opted for one without the A-bar on yours. The only thing I can think of is welding some small L brackets to either side of the winch. Or you can have a fab shop bend up an A-bar and weld it in. As a last resort, I can bend you up some 2" tube with some light tabs and you can get it installed.

Or sell your bumper - it's worth over $1k!
Good ideas- I may give the brackets or A-bar a try locally. I appreciate the feedback. Last resort would be to unload the bumper and pick up another one with the built in A-bar I guess. Hopefully I'll get distracted by some other project and forget about the auxiliary lights!

------ Follow up post added March 31st, 2010 09:18 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Just remember, its much more important to have an obscene amount of light than air going through your radiator. Especially on road.
Absolutely- the Elk herds on the roads of my town would agree with that statement....smartass
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old March 31st, 2010, 11:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaygoss View Post

Absolutely- the Elk herds on the roads of my town would agree with that statement....smartass
Soo, are these elks unseeable with 6 flood and spot lights but will magically appear with 8 spot and flood lights?

Them be some crazy elks.

I'm just messing with you. Lights are neato.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s View Post
Soo, are these elks unseeable with 6 flood and spot lights but will magically appear with 8 spot and flood lights?

Them be some crazy elks.

I'm just messing with you. Lights are neato.
This is serious stuff- thank God I'm installing that dual beam Hella work/reverse light... Sometimes those cats and squirrels come outta nowhere!!!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old April 1st, 2010, 01:11 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

About 10 years ago I saw a disco I with, I kid you not, 17 aux. lights.

3 on the bumper, 4 on the front of the rack, 2 on the back of the rack, and 4 on each side of the rack.
Old April 17th, 2010, 12:37 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
About 10 years ago I saw a disco I with, I kid you not, 17 aux. lights.

3 on the bumper, 4 on the front of the rack, 2 on the back of the rack, and 4 on each side of the rack.
How the hell would you power all that?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
bumper, mount