Bulkhead Welding v New - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 22nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Bulkhead Welding v New

Hello all,

I'm trying to decide between fixing a pile of rust on my original bulkhead v buy new. In either case it'll be galvy in the end.

Known rust probs on my bulkhead:
1. both top corners
2. First 6 inches of the top right (bit under the bulkhead to windscreen seal)
3. both foot wells
4. both lower door pillars

I'm weighing the cost of patch panels + pro welding expense v buying new. So my Q is how many hours should I be looking at to cut and weld 1-4, if I pay a pro to do it. My local welding shops are happy to provide a quote if I bring it to their shop, but I'm still stripping it on the chassis. What's the ballpark on hours 3, 5, 10... to do a "Jim good" job?

cheers,
Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

buy a new one.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:44 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

maybe a new/used + this is an option? http://mudstuff.co.uk/Bulkhead_Removal_Bar.shtml
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 22nd, 2010, 09:52 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
maybe a new/used + this is an option? http://mudstuff.co.uk/Bulkhead_Removal_Bar.shtml
I don't think that is the bulkhead he is talking about.

Paul had it been just the footwells I would just patch. I did mine and it really wasn't that bad. Yours sounds like it's pretty extensive. Maybe a new bulkhead would be a great compliment to that new LT95 you got.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 22nd, 2010, 10:05 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Buy new. When you strip it down you will find more issues. If you could DIY the welding it might be worth it to save depending on how much needed work, but based on your description -- no way.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:20 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Check. Thanks guys. I was afraid that If I drop a few hundred on patch panels then a pile on pro welding I might still have unknown rust deep inside. I can turn wrenches well enough, but not welding, at least not yet. Now it's time to find a new RHD bulkhead. Shipping from UK ought to be fun. If anyone knows of a 'deal' on a RHD domestically, I'm in the market.

------ Follow up post added April 22nd, 2010 10:22 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUDSUX View Post
Maybe a new bulkhead would be a great compliment to that new LT95 you got.
Ought to be basically a new rig, when I'm done.
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:55 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Paul,

When I was working on my bulkhead a few months back, Stephen was teasing me with a brand new LHD one he got in his storage shed. We talked about converting it to RHD and it looks doable. He may still have it. I may stop by his place this weekend to look at his new 110. If you want I can ask him or take some pics for you.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old April 23rd, 2010, 12:55 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, buy new - it will be easy to put 20+ hours into fixing the bulkhead after buying the parts. The last thing you want to do is pay 2000+ to fix when less than 1500 should buy you a new one.

Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

So you are keeping it RHD?

Rovers North or Westchester LR may have some for sale less expensive then normal. A year or so ago I had some ordered that showed up RHD instead of LHD. Someone else picked them up since I passed on them. So look around a bit. It was 6 or more of them at the time.

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:38 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Per Mike at LR Westchester, those are gone.
Old April 23rd, 2010, 02:45 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendy View Post
So you are keeping it RHD?
Absolutely! The turbo on my 4BD1T shares the same space as a LHD steering box and I really like the 4BD1T. Besides RHD is quirky fun.

I'll check around at domestic sources. Thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions