Bulkhead seam sealer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2014, 08:59 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Bulkhead seam sealer

I am in the process of installing a new DS footwell to my 90. I have rebuilt a bulkhead previously, it was off the truck and I then had it galvanised. This time I am replacing the footwells in place as the rest of the bulkhead is rust free.

I coated the footwells seam/overlap areas with http://www.zingausa.com/ and then cold galv before spot welding together. I feel I have good protection within the overlap areas now to prevent future rust.

I have just sealed all of the seams on the exterior of the new footwell and I am very tempted to seal the corner seams of the interior. Being so hard to keep a truck 100% watertight, and having wet shoes at times I figure some water will make it's way into the seams at some point from the inside. So if the interior is also seam sealed it should increase the protection against any moisture getting in between the two panels at all.

Is there any disadvantages to seam sealing the inside? Has anyone done it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2014, 09:26 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
well as someone who has just taken a truck apart to restore it, where the PO had used silicone to seal the seams on every cabin panel (in a Series iia). DONT DO IT!!!!!!!!

These things are supposed to get wet when you cross rivers etc....you will forever be chasing the "leak" if your desire is 100% sealing. Also, all the crap (sealer) will impair proper alignment and seating of panels - plus mess with scores/tightners.

Just my 2c
Old April 29th, 2014, 09:36 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Not a silicone product. Only using the same type seam sealer as applied to the exterior of the bulkhead as original before paint. Not using it as an adhesive either. The factory spot welds were drilled out on the old panels and re spot welded in the new. I want the original look and am taking my time to recreate that as best I can.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions