Bulkhead Alignment - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 25th, 2016, 09:20 AM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question Bulkhead Alignment

I'm currently dressing up my two front doors and noticed my bulkhead out of alignment. The top of the bulkhead leans in 3/16" towards the rear tub. My question is, do the front wings need to be removed to align the bulkhead?

Btw, this is for a 1995 D90 NAS ST

Cheers...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2016, 01:36 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I guess my first question would be "has the tub been off? Just curious what caused the I'll-alignment.

If I wanted to lean the bulkhead, I would at least remove the bolts where the fenders bolt to the a-pillar at the outsides of the foot wells (frome the engine side). That might give you enough free play once you loosen the diagonal brackets that brace the bulkhead to the frame.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 25th, 2016, 02:27 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
This is a timely question...

I just installed the bulkhead last night.
This is a ST as well.
So I just made it plumb as possible.
Jim,what is the best method for tub-door-bulkhead alignment when everything has been off??

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3098.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	145894  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 25th, 2016, 03:12 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
The tub has never been removed. When the doors where off, I measured the horizontal distance from the bulkhead to the tub, the bulkhead is leaned in towards the tub evenly on both sides by 3/16"
I want to know what I need to loosen to get play to straighten it.
I'm guess along with the wings, I need to loosen the a-piller roll cage bolts, the gussets near the footwells.

Old March 25th, 2016, 03:48 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Hey Mike, I'm curious...
how many of these shims do you have under the bulkhead support on the frame?
Is it the same amount on both sides?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3099.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	145918  

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 25th, 2016, 04:48 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

No, you do not have to remove the front clip to realign your bulkhead. Yes you need to loosen all the bolts to get the play you will need to align it correctly. Tow straps will be your friend and go beyond where it needs to be because it will spring back... Good luck
Old March 25th, 2016, 06:13 PM
Grover
Mike

Registry
My fear is putting the wings in a bind when pulling the top of the bulkhead forward.

Old March 26th, 2016, 07:59 AM
Capt Milks
Mike
Defender V-8, Defender 2.25

with the hard top I leave everything loose and make sure the top and doors align pretty well. I check the gaps and go for what looks the best. With the soft top you would have the door alignment to check But I may check the top alignment too. 3/16 of an inch doesn't sound like much.
Old March 26th, 2016, 09:34 AM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
My fear is putting the wings in a bind when pulling the top of the bulkhead forward.
you're taking about less then a 1/4"... If everything is loose then it shouldn't be an issue. And more then likely each side is different...
Old March 26th, 2016, 11:10 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I'm also interested in hearing about the recommended technique to set the bulkhead from scratch to get the doors (and I guess everything else) to sign up well.
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:09 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
I'm also interested in hearing about the recommended technique to set the bulkhead from scratch to get the doors (and I guess everything else) to sign up well.
give me a ring... To much to write down
Old March 26th, 2016, 07:14 PM
RamblerRob
Rob Apps
1967 series 2a 109 NADA

Registry
I'd like to hear the whole story about aligning from scratch if anyone wants to take the time to write up a guide. I'm not there, or even close on my own project but will be at some point.... I hope
Old March 26th, 2016, 08:54 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer

The quick and nasty that I have learned, there might be other ways as well... I always start by mounting the two outer bolts on the rear tub on the rear crossmember loose. Then I put on one on each of the front tub mounts, loose as well. Next step is to mount the bulkhead, I typically only mount the two main outrigger bolts to start(loose of course). A trick I learned from Bill Adams is to run a string from the bulk head just above the curve to the back of the tub on the curve as well. This will allow you to center the tub and raise or lower it so the sting will kiss the front of the tub. Once the rear tub is close, I would zap down the four bolts to secure the tub. This will allow you to pull measurements on the doors for the bulkhead.

------ Follow up post added March 26th, 2016 09:02 PM ------

Once the tub is secured pull measurements from the rear of the tub to the bulkhead at the bottom and the top. I could be wrong but I believe it's 34.5" from side to side. Once the bulkhead is square to the rear tube tighten down and use what ever shims you need to secure the front bulkhead brackets. I like to repeat the string trick to make sure my wings are square as well, running them side to side and front to back.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment