Building my own snorkel - - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2006, 06:45 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Building my own snorkel -

I'm building my own version of the snorkel I saw on the Ex-tec website and using an Engineaire precleaner. I'm using 3" aluminum tubing and have the snorkel tube ready to be powdercoated satin black. I just need to fabricate an upper mount that will clamp around the rain gutter on the roof and provide a tab for the circle clamp that goes around the tube.

I may wind up building my own clamp but I wondered if any of you guys had any ideas for something that was more or less off the shelf? Here's a picture of the snorkel so far....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkel2.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	5167  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2006, 11:39 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
With or without roll cage?
Old March 2nd, 2006, 07:17 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

No cage - ROW truck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 2nd, 2006, 01:28 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Nice design. It's most likely the perspective of the image but are you sure that the door will open correctly w/out the mirror bumping into the snorkel?
Old March 3rd, 2006, 07:17 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Finished up my snorkel this evening - it turned out really well - no clearance issues and from the drivers seat you only see the front 3/8" of the tube. The passenger gets only a glimpse of the trailing edge of the tube. I powder coated the aluminum tube using a friend of mines eastwood do-it-yourself powder coating kit - the trick was figuring out how to cure something that wouldn't fit in the oven. We wound up doing it in two stages - painted the lower half and then turned it around and cooked the upper section. Made an upper mount from a piece of stainless angle and fastened it through the rain gutter on the roof.

The total cost was under $180 - helps to have a handy scrap barrel with sections of 3" aluminum tubing and a friend who is an absolute wizard with a tig welder available. Most of the cost was in the Engineaire precleaner - neat piece - a bit extravagant but the rest of the snorkel was costing me so little that I splurged a bit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	snorkelcomplete.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	5173   Click image for larger version

Name:	powdercoat.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5174  

Old March 4th, 2006, 12:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Do you off road that thing? I would not like it sticking out past the body. If it were my truck it would be ripped off on the first trip.
Old March 4th, 2006, 02:53 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

It doesn't stick out past the flares and the top of teh precleaner is below the roof line - with the air intake in the side of the fender you have to work with what is there - besides I've been driving Land Rovers for over thirty years - I'm reasonably good at not hitting stuff....
Old March 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

Looks sweet. Nice job.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
snorkel