Building a PUMA in Los Angeles. Plausible? - Page 4 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:54 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
BS Ron, EPA does not regulate engines. It says so right on their website. Only engine/vehicle combinations. Some have posted here and said that they have had newer engines stopped from entering only to have some EPA official say "oh, newer engine into older car is ok" and so they let it through.

Others have had the opposite experience where newer engine was not allowed in.

Since EPA only certifies engine/vehicle combinations, why would it make a difference if you put a newer engine into a platform that never got EPA certification in the first place. I.e, Tdi into a series truck or PUMA into a series or a recent legal import.

Then you go and read the federal engine swapping guide book and it gets totally muddy.

Then you look at the form you fill out when you are importing an engine, there is a box you can check for "non-compliant engine that will be EPA certified before being introduced into commerce." What does "commerce" mean in that line? it appears that you could import almost any engine as long as you are not planning to sell it.

Of course it should be legal to bring in pieces of engines. But, is it legal to put them together? is it legal to run it in an 84 D90? Is it legal to run it in a 1995 D90? How about a 1953 Chevy?
1972 Chevy?

Last but far from least are the instances of items that are perfectly legal that have been seized and the owners forced to spend $$$ on lawyer fees to get them out of hock.

Bottom line- You are totally at the mercy of whatever official feels like someone shit in his or her cheerios that morning, or if someone decides they don't like you because they see you as competition or whatever and decide to phone up the port of wherever or the DMV or Orange County Task Force or WHATEVER and mention that you may be up to no good. And suddenly your legal import is subject to a VERY high level of scrutiny. The customs guys and the vehicle compliance guys don't know shit about the various models of vehicles. So, they do some research on google and find your buddy that just tipped you off and start sending him photos of your shit asking him if HE thinks it is really 25 years old. Good luck with THAT!

I guess my point is not to say that you should do whatever you want because the law is vague and therefore there is a potential loophole for you to get away with anything and everything. More so that even if you try to do things legally there is most likely a loophole (or shit-in-cheerios example) that they can use to bust you on it. So, best to just assume everything that isn't stock-vehicle with stock items installed (and even THAT is subject to legal hassles) is likely to be illegal somehow, somewhere. So, just get in touch with your inner scofflaw and make peace with what you are doing. Then do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I disagree the laws are vague. There is some vagueness around the middle (as laid out in the what's legal thread), but they are clear enough to place thinks in the "that is illegal catagory" in many instances. For instance, by the letter of the law, the puma motor is not EPA compliant so any truck with that motor is federal illegal. No vagueness there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I have a friend who sells a shootload of defenders and he personally has been ratted out by someone who is on this board because he had a grey area legal truck and it caused allll sorts of hassle for him...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:03 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I have a friend who sells a shootload of defenders and he personally has been ratted out by someone who is on this board because he had a grey area legal truck and it caused allll sorts of hassle for him...
that sucks.

i don't care what other people do, b/c i don't see no way in hell the cars are less safe etc for having new parts.

all i think people are obligated to do is let the buyer know if they aren't educated enough to know what they are getting into....it might decrease the value of the vehicle but so be it. i know i wouldn't feel comfortable doing it but you know everyone has their own ways.

and that's why people 'selling a car for a friend' who's 'rich and can afford to sell at a loss' but aren't 'rich' enough to take the full hickey tweak me.
1994 D90 ST (PO)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:18 PM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

I won't join in on the whats legal whats not conversation but I can speak first hand on the power of customs and epa and what they can do to your world and your wallet. They can and will find something if they want to find something and once they do your finished.

C-
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:51 PM
Oliver Whiting
Oliver Whiting
84 110, 94 NAS90,Bunch of EX-mods

easiest is to bring in a legal land rover that is 25 years of age, register it and enjoy!
Go for the puma body parts later and stuff in a U.S. based engine that is already here and is serviceable here.

Or buy a Rubicon.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:04 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Whiting View Post
stuff in a U.S. based engine that is already here and is serviceable here.

I just read a thread on AULRO about a guy that stuffed a Duramax 6.6, 6 spd Allison, LT230 into a 130. Awesome stuff.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Fixed it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Price? Id like to buy that!

-Jeff
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 2nd, 2012, 08:56 PM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Let's get this thread back on track.

Feline Scale

Based on a woman's age, this scale classifies women (who prey on younger men for their sexual appetite) as felines.

The scale is as follows:

Age 0-12: Housecat
Age 13-17: Bobcat
Age 18-21: Wildcat
Age 22-29: Lynx
Age 30-39: Puma
Age 40-49: Cougar
Age 50-59: Jaguar
Age 60-68: Panther
Age 69: Pussycat
Age 70-79: Cheetah
Age 80-89: Leopard
Age 90-99: Tiger
Age 100+: Lion

Jessica Biel is a Lynx on the Feline Scale, but Heidi Klum, Demi Moore, Jane Seymour, and Dame Judi Dench are classified as Puma, Cougar, Jaguar, and Cheetah, respectively.

If one wants to take down a big cat, you need a big gun. Are you a big cat game hunter?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:19 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Lioness is more proper.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:42 PM
enecks
Justin
94 and 96 5spd Discos

This? http://www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-t...-defender.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Link? Id like to read that!

-Jeff
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:47 PM
grnrvrs
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by enecks View Post
Exactly... Way more appealing than a worn out cougar.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:52 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
For the love of Pete can we get an admin to correct "Biulding" in the title? Am I the only one being slowly driven insane by spelling typos?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:11 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

I've mis-spelled in the thread title before myself and I haven't found a way to edit it, Maybe some here knows the trick? (bad choice of word for this thread).
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I once broke up with a girl because she insisted on constantly sending me emails with incorrect spelling. This was before the days of text messages, thank God, or the combination of lazy abbreviations AND misspelled words may have sent me postal.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:17 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

There. Done.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:18 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
There. Done.
Nice!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:27 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I would have as well. Drives me crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind
I once broke up with a girl because she insisted on constantly sending me emails with incorrect spelling. This was before the days of text messages, thank God, or the combination of lazy abbreviations AND misspelled words may have sent me postal.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:57 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs

Its Neil's post, what did you expect. Im hoping it doesn't get changed. I want to see you climb the walls.

-Jeff
We should leave Neil's shit with its poor grammar and spelling so it doesn't pollute my searches. Admin can you please restore the title?

If you insist on correcting Neil's spelling can you also ensure other posts are correctly spelt and punctuated?
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:05 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Spell checking all you illiterate twits would be a full time job. Not something a non paying volunteer like myself has time for. That said I will make a better effort to correct it when I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce

We should leave Neil's shit with its poor grammar and spelling so it doesn't pollute my searches. Admin can you please restore the title?

If you insist on correcting Neil's spelling can you also ensure other posts are correctly spelt and punctuated?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:10 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post

I say we leave the medieval wheat species out of this argument:

Spelt (Triticum spelta) is a hexaploid species of wheat. Spelt was an important staple in parts of Europe from the Bronze Age to medieval times; it now survives as a relict crop in Central Europe and northern Spain and has found a new market as a health food. Spelt is sometimes considered a subspecies of the closely related species common wheat (T. aestivum), in which case its botanical name is considered to be Triticum aestivum subsp. spelta.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions