Building a PUMA in Los Angeles. Plausible? - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:02 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

o.k.. got to stick up for the married guys here that once you realize that your wife may be over 40 so are you. I would not trade a second of being married to be out on the hunt again for cougars, kittens what have you. My wife may be over 40 but she rocks! On a side note what about going through Canada or doing a special vehicle build title in CA. January 1st of each year they have a lottery to see what years people are wanted to get VIN #s for and will grant xx number of VINs for special vehicle builds. This is similar to getting a title for a Factory 5 Cobra. Talk to someone who interacts with the DMV daily, like a 3rd party that will take care of your registration for a fee. I am going that route with my build. Finest City Auto on Pacific Beach in San Diego will help you out with your questions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:06 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
question for you guys. I just bought a 2012 110 here in OZ. Should arrive next week. I'm pretty excited! My plan was to drive it daily and keep my eyes open for a 1990 110 for cheap. I have seen several 94-95's for 5K-8K. I was going to have the 1990 rebuilt using the parts off the 2012 when I move back to the US in 3-5 yrs. What are the limitations on doing these outside of cost? Can it be done legally?
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old August 1st, 2012, 09:49 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

I guess what you are doing is no different than a frame swap... You basically are taking the 1990 and putting it under the 2010.... The vast majority of the parts is 2010... Kinda like saying to the government.. I know it's illegal to have a glass full.. This one isn't full it's 5% empty... And then you have the problem of where you are registering it.. Some states are a real bitch..make sure the vehicle you use as the donor is a diesel also so the title says diesel if the puma is diesel... Getting it in is one thing but I believe the Feds are specifically seeking this kind of grey are legal vehicle, seizing them and having them disassembled and crushed....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Well, just keep the tin foil hat on so they can't find you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I believe the Feds are specifically seeking this kind of grey are legal vehicle, seizing them and having them disassembled and crushed....
Old August 1st, 2012, 02:19 PM
honda50r
Alex
1998 Discovery

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley

yeah this is an awesome pic
Damn! I'm jumping in on this thread just for that. She'd get it...fo' sho.
Old August 1st, 2012, 03:21 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
My Puma is for sale. It doesn't even have cottage cheese thighs yet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 1st, 2012, 04:22 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

YET,,,on land rovers the cottage cheese is the oxidation bubbling away under the paint that gives it the cotage cheese look...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:27 AM
cwilder
Chad
2012 110 Black

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I guess what you are doing is no different than a frame swap... You basically are taking the 1990 and putting it under the 2010.... The vast majority of the parts is 2010... Kinda like saying to the government.. I know it's illegal to have a glass full.. This one isn't full it's 5% empty... And then you have the problem of where you are registering it.. Some states are a real bitch..make sure the vehicle you use as the donor is a diesel also so the title says diesel if the puma is diesel... Getting it in is one thing but I believe the Feds are specifically seeking this kind of grey are legal vehicle, seizing them and having them disassembled and crushed....
What % makes it legal? If you did truly rebuild a 25 year 110 to current specs is it that legal? I'm not trying to an ass here I am truly seeking to learn. I've seen the 110's on ebay that appear rebuilt. I guess either way I will have the pleasure of owning a new one for now.
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 06:57 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
If its his personal vehicle and it's legally registered, how will modifying it to "Puma" specs make it bait for the Feds?

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old August 2nd, 2012, 07:37 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Starting to sound like the "what's legal?" thread. It's "more legal" if you take a truck already registered here and update it as needed with newer parts - body, engine, seats, exhaust, drive train, etc. - just look at ECR. G4 110 comes to mind.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
Would you guys stop trying to pretend that ANY of this shit is legal? Face it, there is a law to prevent you doing almost anything fun to your vehicle. (yikes, for a second that sounded like Myles Murphy, I mean Mike Smith) The laws are all poorly written so as to make it really hard to define what exactly is or is not allowed, and therefore nobody really knows and it is pretty much at the discretion of the man behind the desk at the customs office. So, just do whatever the hell you want, come to terms with the risk and your tolerance for that, and have fun. The fact is that 99.9% of this crap nobody cares about except for us. There is no federal boogeyman task force trying to hunt you down.

And Shayne...what the hell is AARPA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Starting to sound like the "what's legal?" thread. It's "more legal" if you take a truck already registered here and update it as needed with newer parts - body, engine, seats, exhaust, drive train, etc. - just look at ECR. G4 110 comes to mind.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:39 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching View Post
Would you guys stop trying to pretend that ANY of this shit is legal? Face it, there is a law to prevent you doing almost anything fun to your vehicle. (yikes, for a second that sounded like Myles Murphy, I mean Mike Smith) The laws are all poorly written so as to make it really hard to define what exactly is or is not allowed, and therefore nobody really knows and it is pretty much at the discretion of the man behind the desk at the customs office. So, just do whatever the hell you want, come to terms with the risk and your tolerance for that, and have fun. The fact is that 99.9% of this crap nobody cares about except for us. There is no federal boogeyman task force trying to hunt you down.
How is it not legal? My Series just got creamed pretty bad, chances are new chassis, tub, and many many other parts will need to be replaced (with new). So I'm breaking the law by putting new parts on a 41 year old truck?
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:44 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete

Registry
No, I was not referring to your thread hijack topic.

Glad you are ok...Now, if you had a cougar in the car with you at the time of the accident, there could be some trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
How is it not legal? My Series just got creamed pretty bad, chances are new chassis, tub, and many many other parts will need to be replaced (with new). So I'm breaking the law by putting new parts on a 41 year old truck?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:53 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Apparently my slight sarcasm at the end of my previous post was not easily identifiable?
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:54 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

And Shayne...what the hell is AARPA?[/QUOTE]

Oops..sorry, one too many a's.. American Assosciation of Retired People...you know, the group who looks after old fogeys .....my missus and I just call it AARPA as its easier to say than the letters...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:55 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Glad you are ok...Now, if you had a cougar in the car with you at the time of the accident, there could be some trouble...
If you ain't first, you're last!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ricky%20Bobby%20cougar.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	55059  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old August 2nd, 2012, 10:32 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

And guys..there are laws which make the importation of vehicles newer than 25 years illegal..it's all to do with emissions and dot requirements... Face it, the fact that defenders didn't have the mandated air bags is what stopped them coming into the country..there is a reason that only nas versions of defenders had the exoskeleton roll cage..etc etc etc.. While I don't agree with the USA one sided hypocritical stance on certain vehicles.. I.e.. They will let a glorified sardine can like smart cars etc in but they won't let a vehicle like a defender that is built like a tank in????? Land rover didn't see a big enough demand in the USA market to make the retooling and compliance issues worth it on one line such as the defender..a lot of other countries were smart enough to realize that if someone wanted a rugged off road vehicle without airbags they would buy a defender..if they wanted airbags they bought the p38 or discovery... They say this is the land of the free but we are obviously not free to decided what we want on our vehicles.. There are always ways to get around most laws..face it, OJ got away with murdering his wife....it's only illegal if you get caught and then only if your lawyer can't get you off it....you can slant it whatever way you want to.. Like but I put a new chassis on an old car... I put a new car on an old chassis.. I put an old vin on a new car.. I put a new car on an old vin etc etc etc.. Like has been said before..the laws are so vague that it is up to the discretion of the man in charge at the time.. If he is in a good mood and not an ahole you may get Way with it... Exactly the same car but different "man" may not.. Now if it's a one off kinda thing for your own personal consumption then it doesn't raise too many flags.. But it's when people start thinking they are smarter than the "system" by trying to make a profit by selling, importing etc etc that the "system" starts to kick back.. I believe it was rovers down south that was the winner of the contract to demolish 5 or 6 pumas that were seized coming into the country and there was only certain parts that he was allowed to sell off.. Thereby making it difficult for someone to reassemble em.... And there is the story (not personally verified ) of a dentist in California who woke one morning to the sound of his puma being dragged up onto a flatbed and when he asked the man in charge what the f was going on he was told that they were the Feds and they were seizing his illegally imported vehicle and it was off to be crushed... And that he would have to go back to the person he bought it from to get his money back...good luck with that....
Let me give you a scenario in a litigious world we live in... You are driving your illegally imported yet registered by whatever means puma down the road and run into someone killing a family of 4....no problem..you have insurance.. The insurance company starts looking for a way to get out of a multi million dollar settlement issue and they get wind that your truck isn't even supposed to be here,,, they deny the claim on basis of illegally imported or modified vehicle.. So then the families very smart lawyer sues the government for allowing an illegally imported vehicle to be registered and on the road on the grounds that it wouldn't have impacted with his clients vehicle had it not been negligently allowed to even be on the road in the first place....but hey.. That's just the way we have to roll in today's times...just my 2 cents worth....
Old August 2nd, 2012, 11:40 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I disagree the laws are vague. There is some vagueness around the middle (as laid out in the what's legal thread), but they are clear enough to place thinks in the "that is illegal catagory" in many instances. For instance, by the letter of the law, the puma motor is not EPA compliant so any truck with that motor is federal illegal. No vagueness there.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:34 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

And if you think that the fed's haven't gone after small niche vehicles in the past, here's some reading for ya...
http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/the...-states-2.html

Can it be done, yep...has it been done, yep...is it legal, nope, no matter how you paint it (pun intended)
Old August 2nd, 2012, 12:51 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post

Can it be done, yep...has it been done, yep...is it legal, nope, no matter how you paint it (pun intended)
That's funny. No one is invincible and I'm sure those who think they are above the law so to speak will have a very rude awakening someday.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions