Buffer between corner guards & 2" receiver on rear crossmember - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:03 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Question Buffer between corner guards & 2" receiver on rear crossmember

So I'm in the process of bolting corner guards onto my rear crossmember, as well as reinstalling my SG 2" receiver (also bolted to rear crossmember).

I currently have no rust on my crossmember, but I know that things like to "rust" (or more accurately rot) when you bolt things to the rear cross. I've seen it with NAS bumpers and such over the years when you press two pieces of metal together (I'm assuming it just traps moisture/etc in there).

I've painted/sealed the parts that will be bolted on with Eastwood rust encapsulator & top coated with chassis black to help separate the metals, and seal them prior to installation.

So my question is should I add in some sort of a "buffer" between the two metals where they bolt on? I have some heavy duty EPDM rubber that I was thinking of using...but wasn't sure if this would help avoid rust by putting a layer between the metals, or if the same thing would/could happen and it would still encourage rust by trapping moisture.

Any input is welcomed.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Me, I would silicon the two pieces in between and around. I have found this works best. Any spacer will leave it open and will eventually clog with mud and rust. No spacer simply allows water in.

Semper Fi!
Old February 12th, 2013, 08:33 PM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

Jason - what did you end up doing? I just mounted some up and used clear waxoyl on the mating surfaces.
Advertisement

Old February 13th, 2013, 01:30 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I actually used some Grace ice & water shield (yes, you read that correctly) and adhered it to the backside of both the 2" receiver as well as my corner guards. I'll give them 6 months or so on there and then pull them to see how it looks.

I need to do some painting on the passenger side one anyhow (bracket for the swing away tire carrier...I just "test fit" but now everything is bolted together don't feel like pulling it apart again), so that one will get pulled in the next week or so.

You can kind of see it in the attached, I need to trim it a little more:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2791.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	66171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2802.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	66172  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
guards