brownchurch vs safety devices roof rack? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2004, 05:22 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

brownchurch vs safety devices roof rack?

Hey-
Is there any sort of consensus as to which ST roof rack is the one to get between the brownchurch (square tubing) and the (stock, round tubing) safety devices? I've seen price point debates here before, but never full functionality. Is one sturdier than the other? More quiet? Do either have the front angle piece to ease wind resistance?

thanks all, as usual.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
paulb
Paul / Boultbee
1994 D-90, Green #1576

As everyone seems to put spots on the rack sooner or later, wind does not seem to be an issue. I assume you have a SW? The rounded tubing is "classical". I've looked at both (although for a ST) and have found no difference. Big issue is availability and cost. Square seems to be less expensive. As to strength, that is rack by rack. Figure out what you will use it for. Looking at my 'this months Land Rover mag.s', roof racks are all over the place. And they all look good.
Old December 8th, 2004, 01:27 AM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

I have a round tubed Saftey Device rack and it held my weight (145lbs). I would stand on the bars in the rack with no problem. I dont know how you would mount a Brownchurch on a ST, I thought they only mounted to the rain gutters. The SD rack mounts to the truck via the roll bar and to the back by means of ladder. I personally prefer the round tubed rack, it better matches the roll bar and brush guard. Although John Lee's looks very nice with his square tubed rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 8th, 2004, 08:50 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

I thought I saw a square metal rack on a ST around here... that's not a brownchurch? Could it be the custom Rovers North I've heard about?
Old December 8th, 2004, 09:19 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
if it was mounted to the front section of the roll cage I bet it was or the one AB offers?
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheki
Although John Lee's looks very nice with his square tubed rack.
John has a Safety Devices round tubed rack.
Old December 8th, 2004, 10:37 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
gutter mounts vs body and roll cage cage mounts...
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:36 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

it wasn't the AB one that just sits in the front, if that was the one you were suggesting, it was a full length one. I wanted to have one fabricated with a modular basket system; so that I could take 1/2 off and leave 1/2 empty for a surfboard, and have them stack to make a lockable storage unit, etc...I was quoted $1,000 for just the supports, the basket would have been an additional 500$. At that price, screw it, I'll just buy a prefab.
Old December 8th, 2004, 11:40 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
www.expeditionexchange.com has teh SD gutter mounted one and I think they can get the tub and roll bar mounted "SafariRacks" also.
Old December 8th, 2004, 12:48 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Chris do you have drawings for what you got quoted? I could see if it's cheaper where I work
Old December 9th, 2004, 10:39 AM
NASD90
T B
None any more

Jesse thanks for the offer. I have the sketch at home, i'll grab it tonight. it was basically a bar which connects to the roll cage over the front doors, and 2 bars running from that to the rear of the car which bolts to the rear bumper. it would have pre drilled holes to mount a number of baskets, ski racks, etc etc.

My main beef with the normal racks is they add a foot to the car.... I can only get it in my garage for winter work by letting pressure out of the tires and hanging off the back... parking garages in manhattan are always hit or miss as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, brownchurch, rack, roof, roof rack, safety devices