broken valve cover!!!!!!!!! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 9th, 2003, 10:28 AM
erik d
erik drayson
broken valve cover!!!!!!!!!

Was in the process of replacing a bad rocker arm in the process of removing the valve cover one of the four cover bolts broke off. *#%@#$ now what. I tried drilling out the center of the bolt to use an easy out and broke a drill bit in there also. Not having a great day. but wait it gets better . While working in there I bumped a push rod and the guide that rests on the cam droped out of its "hole" and now is sitting in the engine somewhere. To make a long story short how hard is it remove the heads or head? The truck has 50000 mile on it and ran perfect besides the tick I was trying to fix. Can the head be fixed? With the milage should I go ahead and get a rebuilt head because it has to come off anyhow?
I wish I could say money was no issue but it is. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanx eirk

Old November 9th, 2003, 10:37 AM
brian bertolini
I am so sorry, that sucks

I wish I could tell you what to do, but I can't! I've had that feeling before, as I dropped a screw down the intake of my motorcycle and had to split the cases to find it. I hope it's not going to be an ordeal for you.
Brian Bertolini

Old November 10th, 2003, 03:12 PM
Mike Hippert
94 D-90 Grinding Rover
From what I have heard you can pull the heads yourself. I know most people just have the heads resurfaced when they do the Job. I think it is about a 2 weekend job. The best advice I have heard is to have plenty of space to put parts as you take them off.
Don't forget to Search first then ask questions later! The loose nut behind the wheel

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions