Defender Source Forum banner

broken valve cover bolt...help!!!!!!!!!

Tags
cover
2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Mike Hippert 
#1 ·
Was in the process of replacing a bad rocker arm in the process of removing the valve cover one of the four cover bolts broke off. *#%@#$ now what. I tried drilling out the center of the bolt to use an easy out and broke a drill bit in there also. Not having a great day. but wait it gets better . While working in there I bumped a push rod and the guide that rests on the cam droped out of its "hole" and now is sitting in the engine somewhere. To make a long story short how hard is it remove the heads or head? The truck has 50000 mile on it and ran perfect besides the tick I was trying to fix. Can the head be fixed? With the milage should I go ahead and get a rebuilt head because it has to come off anyhow?
I wish I could say money was no issue but it is. Any advice would be very much appreciated. Thanx eirk

#3 ·
From what I have heard you can pull the heads yourself. I know most people just have the heads resurfaced when they do the Job. I think it is about a 2 weekend job. The best advice I have heard is to have plenty of space to put parts as you take them off.
Goodluck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.