Broken prop shaft - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:31 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
Broken prop shaft

Yeah, it was a fun morning. Luckily when my prop shaft decided to snap off it was close to work. Should have heard the noise as it banged the bottom of the seat box. Any thoughts on what can cause this to happen? Luckily a friend was available to come remove what was left and tow me to his shop....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-316016584.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	797.7 KB
ID:	152651   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-941534678.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	843.0 KB
ID:	152652  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:38 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

That u joint has been toast for a long while. Hence how it's nearly worn through 1/2 of the center cross piece.

They wear out over time without lubrication or by getting dirty. Good news is that a new u joint is only about $20 us for a good one and takes about 30min and a press or a vise for a layman to change out
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:39 PM
DocB
David
1989 D110

I've had this happen twice. First time was failure to grease the u-joint (or spicer or whatever it's called across the pond lol), it just eventually went bad and failed. Same thing too, banged up the underside pretty good. Second time was on the rear, had some debris get up in there and destroyed one of the caps, lost all the bearings, and it eventually rattled itself apart.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:41 PM
LR Max
Thomason, Max
1973 Series 3 109

Old and crappy. Judging from the rust, the needle bearings probably seized up/ground away into nothing. Then you've got slop...then it goes from there. Were they ever greased?

Probably should look at replacing/rebuilding the rear propshaft while you are there. Considering how bad that one looks.
Old June 27th, 2016, 12:51 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you're replacing the U-joint, don't waste your time with the Precision or Napa U-joints...get the GKNs, it's worth a few more bucks. They go in MUCH easier, and have a bigger rubber "boot" so in theory should protect from dirt/mud better.

I just finished rebuilding my driveshafts (again), and literally couldn't get the Precision or Napa UJ's to seat properly. Got some GKNs, and they went in place perfectly....

Just beat them in/out using a couple of sockets and BFH (or you can use a heavy duty vice to press them in/out, but I've just been doing the beat 'em in place method lately as it's quicker). Socket that is "smaller" than UJ cap to seat them in, and a socket that is much "bigger" on the backside of the yoke to catch the other cap when it pops out (and give you some space to have it pass through the yoke and into the opening/empty space in the big socket).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old June 27th, 2016, 12:54 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
This must have been vibrating for MONTHS.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:01 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Neglect maybe? Think about how much rides on this moving part. Minimal servicing will typically go a long way for a part like this.

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:02 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Andy, helpful tip. Carry 2 9/16" spanners in your truck, that way you can remove the shaft and lock the center diff; then you avoid the tow, and rebuild it while the truck is in 2wd
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:10 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z.G View Post
Andy, helpful tip. Carry 2 9/16" spanners in your truck, that way you can remove the shaft and lock the center diff; then you avoid the tow, and rebuild it while the truck is in 2wd
I've got to go ahead and "disagree" with you on that one ....(1) 9/16 spanner, and (1) of these bad boys is the way to go:
PROP SHAFT SOCKET SPECIAL TOOL, RNT141 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RNT141.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	152657  
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Picture of the shaft makes it look bent to my eye. Check that before only doing u-joints....

As above, you have been driving with a dead joint for a very long time.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:13 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I've got to go ahead and "disagree" with you on that one ....(1) 9/16 spanner, and (1) of these bad boys is the way to go:
PROP SHAFT SOCKET SPECIAL TOOL, RNT141 - Rovers North - Classic Land Rover Parts
Ha! Yes, those are awesome, and I have one of course. However, they require also having a socket wrench. If you want to keep it simple....
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:16 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Ha! Yes, those are awesome, and I have one of course. However, they require also having a socket wrench. If you want to keep it simple....
People drive Rovers without a full set of tools on hand? Jeesh...who knew! I actually prefer the 9/16 driveshaft tool coupled with the Dewalt 1/4-driver to get the driveshafts off in like 5-minutes!
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:18 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
People drive Rovers without a full set of tools on hand? Jeesh...who knew! I actually prefer the 9/16 driveshaft tool coupled with the Dewalt 1/4-driver to get the driveshafts off in like 5-minutes!
It's tragic...truly. I have at least 15lbs of tools in the truck at any given time.
Old June 27th, 2016, 01:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
It's tragic...truly. I have at least 15lbs of tools in the truck at any given time.
That's what I refer to as the "bare minimum" just to get to the store and back.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 27th, 2016, 01:22 PM
atpick
Andy
1990 110

Registry
I had a feeling there was something wrong. There was what I would describe as a gobbling noise, like a turkey, emanating from there for a month or so. I would only hear it at low RPMs with the clutch engaged. I figured it for the clutch, had it checked and nothing came of it. Now I know I suppose. Great tips from all.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:08 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
This kind of thing always makes me question those *lifetime* u-joints.

My Excursion has them...220K miles on them now. No Lubrication.
Many cars and trucks now have non serviceable ujoints.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:12 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The lifetime joints have better seals than the greaseable ones. IME, they last much, much longer than the greaseable ones, so are a better choice.

It is normally easy to tell when one starts to go and you have a fair amount of time to change it out. You get a vibration and/or noise on power at a certain range of speeds that is a lot lower than tire related vibration speeds.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old June 27th, 2016, 02:21 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
The lifetime joints have better seals than the greaseable ones. IME, they last much, much longer than the greaseable ones, so are a better choice.

It is normally easy to tell when one starts to go and you have a fair amount of time to change it out. You get a vibration and/or noise on power at a certain range of speeds that is a lot lower than tire related vibration speeds.
That could be true re: better seals. And my Excursion is just a hiway truck.
But I'll never hear a bad ujoint over the noise of the 7.3!

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old June 27th, 2016, 03:43 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
This kind of thing always makes me question those *lifetime* u-joints.

My Excursion has them...220K miles on them now. No Lubrication.
Many cars and trucks now have non serviceable ujoints.

I supposed with highway daily drivers that would work (lifetime...well, most car manufacturers state "lifetime" which is about 100k miles). For my 90, I'm lucky if I get 10k out of a set...and yes, I keep them well-greased, I just think since I'm running a single-cardon driveshaft they tend to get more abuse than normal. I also have a small tolerance for "play", and as soon as I see even the slightest wiggle in the UJ's I replace them immediately (hence the 10k interval).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old June 27th, 2016, 04:05 PM
Arlo
Kurt Ohlendorf
1997/130CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post

I'm not pretty much sure, but I think that isn't about half of the trougth.

I got some of these double joint ones.
They all were manufactured by GKN, in different sizes but all in common, they got no grease nipples and made too much noise!

It's just like to have no water in the can while planting: you are able to see how it dies!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions