Broke down in France? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 14th, 2016, 12:23 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Broke down in France?

We are are currently in Montabaun France heading for skiing. Had the bearings give out on the water pump and caused it to leak. Rigged it up good enough and removed the belt to drive short distances and got a hotel. There is a small LR dealership round the corner. Am I being ridiculous to think they have a water pump for a 300tdi in stock? There are zero options in France on a Sunday. Hoping that if they don't have it in stock they know someone who does. I know we have a few members in France so any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 12:31 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
There should be no issue getting a 300tdi water pump same day at any LR service shop in France - overnight shipping is always an option as well.
Old February 14th, 2016, 01:08 PM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
If you call Devon 4X4,Jake could probably get you one in a couple of days..or faster if you ask him...if the French don't have it. He'll post it to an hotel or anywhere you need it. Doesn(t have to go to the billing address on the card.

You'll get coolant in any supermarket or if you want to take an hour and fix it yourself you can but the tools cheap enough that you'll need in a Halfords equal called Norauto....or even any Bricomarche,Brico Depot or Daffy Moto.

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 04:47 PM
fruitpunch
Marc Brouwer
66 IIa 88 Perkins powered

Registry
Or call tim @dingo he will get it to you fast. But it's too 300tdi were sold on all models in France in the 90's and it should be hard to source parts.
Old February 15th, 2016, 09:59 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Thanks for the responses. We went to the dealer this morning. They were very nice and helpful but could not get water pump until tomorrow (understandable) but insisted they would not do just the water pump. They would have to do the gasket at the back of the WP housing where it meets the block which of course means lots of labor. They would not be able to do it until Wed. and the grand total from the dealership was 1,100 Euros .

So down the road we went and met a guy at a body shop who called ahead to a garage who we went to see. They (husband and wife) did a great job sorting everything out for us. WP will be there tomorrow and all fitted by 10am, plus they gave us a car to get around until tomorrow. Total will be about 200 Euro, much more realistic.

Lesson learned I guess, I carry plenty of tools and supplies but now will carry more spare parts for these long trips. Kids are having a blast just playing on the bunk bed in the hotel and couldn't be happier. It's frustrating but it happened once off the highway in a nice area and no added cost of a tow, just trying to keep it positive. Will be on the road again soon!
Old February 15th, 2016, 01:59 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Let me think about this and make a choice, let the water pump leak some easily replaceable water/coolant and be a pain in the butt with a rattle and refill, OR disconnect the belt so it won't rattle or leak but WILL overheat and ruin my engine.
I hope you didn't have to drive for long with the belt off..

I
Old February 16th, 2016, 12:24 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Let me think about this and make a choice, let the water pump leak some easily replaceable water/coolant and be a pain in the butt with a rattle and refill, OR disconnect the belt so it won't rattle or leak but WILL overheat and ruin my engine.
I hope you didn't have to drive for long with the belt off..

I
Well seeing as the seal and bearings in the WP were so gone the decision was made for me when it threw the belt from all the play and drained the pump through the hole on the bottom as it is designed to when the seal goes. Luckily I have COMMON SENSE and plugged it up to retain water, refilled it and had two eyes able to see the temp. gauge that never went above 1/2 way as I drove 2.5 minutes to a hotel.
Old February 16th, 2016, 10:56 PM
Greg S
Greg Sutfin
1986 90

Good on you then. A sharp eye and a short distance, that works. Sounds like you've found help to get going too. Enjoy that trip!
Old February 17th, 2016, 03:42 AM
broadstone
Chris

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg S View Post
Good on you then. A sharp eye and a short distance, that works. Sounds like you've found help to get going too. Enjoy that trip!
Yes thanks, all worked out. Met some great people with finding the mechanic (cost 200 euros) and was on the road by 10am yesterday, on the slopes by 3pm. The P gasket LR dealership insisted on changing at a crazy cost was fine too. I understand it's best to do at the same time but I will just replace that one when back home where it will just cost me the time of doing it. I will now carry a water pump with me for long trips though. It is always reassuring that a breakdown has to be pretty bad for a LR to not be able to "limp" to a safer place.
Old March 1st, 2016, 07:39 AM
Ohlins
Retired Weirdo
1986 Army 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Yes thanks, all worked out. Met some great people with finding the mechanic (cost 200 euros) and was on the road by 10am yesterday, on the slopes by 3pm. The P gasket LR dealership insisted on changing at a crazy cost was fine too. I understand it's best to do at the same time but I will just replace that one when back home where it will just cost me the time of doing it. I will now carry a water pump with me for long trips though. It is always reassuring that a breakdown has to be pretty bad for a LR to not be able to "limp" to a safer place.

Well done.

The scenario of the dealer 'insisting' that the P gasket should be done as well and a bill for €1100 is just typical of how dealers are perceived here.

Shovel to the back of the head wouild be a fitting reoponse to every one that preys on unsuspecting owners.

P gaskets will weep slowly over time and not give way usually enough to cause a drastic failure.

If your pump is an original pump you'll not need to replace for a good few thousand kms IMO....a couple of spanners and a small socket set is all you need and about an hour.

All the best

Yamaha XTZ660Z Ténéré 58112kms
Gas Gas 300EC Ohlins Enduro Moto.
Old March 1st, 2016, 10:55 AM
diesel_jim
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen

And.... your vehicle may already have had the upgraded metal P gasket fitted, in which case some sealer slapped either side of it, and you're good to go again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
france