Bringing life back to UV'd safari cage - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old November 10th, 2014, 06:31 AM
1994 NAS Defender 90
Bringing life back to UV'd safari cage

I scored a rear section of the safari cage for my 1994 NAS 90 and am pleased to report that there's no cracking of the rubber, nor any rust around the base... the problem with the cage is that it's been left outside for quite a while, so when you handle it, your hands quickly turn black.

I wonder if there's a process to bring life back? And perhaps neutralize whatever process is going that has deteriorated the rubber??

I was thinking about cleaning it with some kind of gentle cleaner (Murphy's oil soap comes to mind) and then giving it a few good coatings with STP Son of a Gun.

Any chemists on the forum??

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:14 AM
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi
Wonder if a rubber undercoating would hang on?

Old November 10th, 2014, 07:32 AM
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes
It's likely nearly impossible to reverse the damage that has already begun to take place (let me guess - cage kept outside near the ocean?) but you may wish to try some 303 Aircraft / Aerospace Protectant as that's what many of us use as a preventative cage protectant.

Best of luck. Let's see some pics of your truck now...
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I am talking purely from an aesthetics standpoint.
Old November 10th, 2014, 08:58 AM
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles
x2 on the 303 or also try Mother's back to black. I use it on everything but the paint.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:36 AM
94/95/97 Many

Back to Black or any like product/tire shine,it will look good until it sits in the sun for a while then you'll just have to keep applying product.
Old November 10th, 2014, 09:46 AM
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Sem color coat black
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old November 10th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye
paint it with a good quality waterbased acrylic. A couple coats should seal 'er up. Bottom line though, the material is compromised.
"Yeah, make sure its a flatbed...."
Old November 10th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Robert Lynch
1995 NAS
i've had good luck with this stuff - (not on a cage though, haven't tried it )
it's $16
Defenders don't wear out they just need more parts.

95' D90 - daily driver..
Old November 10th, 2014, 07:29 PM
87 defender 110 3 door
you can't re-constitute the rubber.. It is literally rotting. That is, the bonds that keep it together are failing. UV and heat speed this up. Throwing juice on it will just make it oily and unpaintable.

What I use on oxidized plastic junk is 000 steel wool. Lightly rub... gets white to grey, grey to black.. w/e. Gets that outside layer off. Of course... the under portions are even less UV protected. So... What I use for things I plan on keeping around... paint.

000 steel wool, sand paper.. whatever is the right tool... then paint. For fender flares and stuff, I'm doing well with duplicolor's bed armour. Its more of a really hard undercoat. Stays flexible. Its what is on my DE-fenders right now. Of course that was because the army paint was flaking and anything that would eat it would eat the fenders. so.. sand and paint.

I don't like the SEM... but I am also not familiar with what you're painting.. it might be the tool for the job if its more flexible than i'm imagining.

My fenders are staying painted with the bed liner even though they've been dragged through brush and flexed hard in temps down to mid 40s.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

ac, cage