Brief, dramatic power losses.....? Ignition switch problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

Brief, dramatic power losses.....? Ignition switch problem

hey guys,
I'm experiencing brief (1-2sec) power losses,, at around 2,500 rpm, in my '94. They are pretty severe sometimes, jerking me forward in the seat. Usually in lower gears, can be fixed with hard throttle pushing over 3000 rpm. No real correlation with outside temp, but more frequent during first 10 mins after startup.
Replaced fuel filter already, nom fix.
There was a thread in '09 on here talking about the ignition switch as possible cause for these 'hiccups'.
Is "P. Scharfe" still out there? Your post describes very similar symptoms, but there were no follow ups on it.
Thanks for anynadvice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2011, 10:14 PM
CDNRover
Jeff Labbé
110 Ex-Mod FFR 200tdi

Registry
If it's any help, I had to replace my ignition switch. I do not think it might be the problem for you as once the power cuts on the switch the engine dies just like it would when switching off the key. If you experience pick up while flooring it, I would suggest looking for something else... But as your Defender might be a gas engine, maybe I'm mistaken.. (I have a 200tdi). Have you check the ignition system? leads, plugs etc.. ?
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

i've checked that everything is "snug", which is the basic extent of my mechanical knowledge for engine electrical. maybe i should start by replacing all the plugs? or is there a diagnostic i could run?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Have the same issue. Suspecting the fuel pump as I also have other "issues" all fuel related. Had my head damn near hit the steering wheel a few times, lol. Makes you feel like a retard.
Old February 28th, 2011, 01:49 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Is there water in your computer?
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

shouldn't be any water there in the computer. its been dry as hell here in texas for months, and problem surfaces even after a week of dry days. has been ongoing for several months. should i pull it out anyway?
daniel... funny you say that about hitting the steering wheel! i think i actually did one time. my sons were in the jumpseats in the back and got thrown forward a bit too (sideways actually in the jumps). "Dad! What are you doing!! Cant you drive?!" yes, makes me feel like an idiot.
Old February 28th, 2011, 02:41 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Can't hurt. Do you have a spare to try?
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

no spare... i'm new to this game. is it hard to pull out the computer? i'm not even sure what part of that electrical wad is the actual 'computer'.
...on spares note, do you guys just acquire spares of things you think you might need, or have parts 90's sitting around? what do most guys do?
Old February 28th, 2011, 03:27 PM
evilfij
evilfij

At one point in time I posted a list of what I carry in my truck. For starters: two silver relays, a cap, a rotor, a coil wire, an ignition module, a computer and a fuel filer will get you through a lot of issues.
Old February 28th, 2011, 04:18 PM
Knife90
john sabra
'94 Defender 90

thanks, evilfij, i appreciate the list. i'm gonna start a new post just to get a survey of that. should be interesting.
Old March 20th, 2011, 09:57 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Fuel pump fixed my problem.
Old March 21st, 2011, 02:55 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

Can get it to do it every time at around 2500rpm's and then it doesn't do it if you push through it and get the rpm's up above that or below 2500rpm's? I would pull the alternator belt off with everything else still connected and drive it around and see if it still does it. The charging light will be on but that doesn't matter as long as you only go for a short drive. The alternator's on these rigs can cause havac when they start to go bad. The charging side of them still work but the diodes inside takes a poo! TEST: drive Rover till it does it and then pull the alternator belt and drive again and see if it went away.
Old March 21st, 2011, 03:11 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
What codes do you have on the computer display ...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
switch