Bridgestone/Firestones worth a damn? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

Bridgestone/Firestones worth a damn?

I was recently contacted by Bridgestone technical services and told that my studded Winterforce snow tires were not performing as the company had hoped and I was offered a full credit toward the purchase of any Bridgestone or Firestone tire to replace them. I've decided to take them up on their offer- only thing is I'm not a fan of Bridgestone or Firestone tires; I only purchased the Winterforces because they were on sale and studdable. If I could choose any tire I'd go with Goodyear Duratracs...but I don't have that as an option. I have a separate set of summer wheels (steelies with BFG KM1's), so I'd like a set of road oriented tires that perform and grip well in the snow. The dealer suggested the Bridgestone AT Revo 2's but the reviews at tirerack.com were inconsistent and no one there had them mounted on a vehicle anything like a D90. Any opinions on the Revo's- or any Bridgestone/Firestone tires (non Mud-terrains) that you've had good luck with in ice and snow? Thanks!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 29th, 2011, 07:26 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

We have 2 sets of Firestone Destination MT's one set is 285-75-16 on a Defender the others on a Dico 235-85-16. Real good in mud. They Clean out really well, Been through lot of mud and have watched other tires when we get out of the mud. Seems like BFG's will be clogged with mud and the Destinations will have cleaned out better. They also seem really good on wet pavement even though they don't have siping. Don't get me wrong I really love BFG's but I like these better. Hope this helps.
Old April 29th, 2011, 11:24 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Firestone Destinations are very soft and will have lugs torn off if you rockcrawl it.
Known from experience. Lost 5 lugs on one tire alone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2011, 06:55 PM
Hammertime
Dana Hammersley
1997 Arles Blue #162

I have had the same tire on for 4 years now. Do alot of wheeling at http://www.rauschcreekoffroadpark.org and believe me there is plenty of rocks there. I may have a few small nicks here and there but no torn lugs.
Old April 30th, 2011, 08:26 PM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Thanks for the feedback guys. I have a set of MT's for summer- but they perform miserably in snow and ice. I'm looking for a set of all-terrain type tires which perform well in ice and snow- and they have to be made by Bridgestone or Firestone. Any one out there have a suggestion? Thanks!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
Old May 1st, 2011, 11:10 AM
Bill B
Bill
73 S3 109 Tdi, 95 RRC

Have had a set of Bridgestone Dueler Revo A/T on the D2 and they have lasted 50000 and still have some tread on them. Have had another set on the RRC which I just swapped onto the D2 as they were too big. Had no problems on or off road with any of them. Have just bought Revo Mk2 for the RRC, a bit smaller this time, and they are fine.
Good luck choosing as it ins't easy.
Bill B
Old May 4th, 2011, 08:32 AM
Scottg
Scott Garner
1992 RRC / 2007 BMW 335i

Jay,

I actually work for Bridgestone/Firestone and I have owned EVERY tire they make on my Rover.

And I sell them every day too.

If it were going to be my money I would get the Firestone Destination AT but make sure you get a LT load rated tire because the tread depth is a lot deeper (~17/32 tread depth). I had these on my 95 RRC (Big Blue 2" and LT245/75R16) when it snowed 18" in '09 and I went everywhere!

We were so impressed that my girlfriend got them for her D2 and used them all year round going to rallies and everything.

I currently have Destination MTs but they are 2 days old i havent been off road with them yet.

you can pm me if you have any specific questions

-Scott
Old May 7th, 2011, 02:41 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fire