Breather for 300 tdi fuel pump? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 7th, 2014, 07:48 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Breather for 300 tdi fuel pump?

Has anyone come up with a good way to connect a wading breather line to the fuel pump on a 300tdi to replace that little rubber nipple? I have 6mm lines and plugs for everything else but not sure how to integrate this one. Would like to be able to y into the line coming of my timing cover and somehow use one of the wonderful little push to connect fittings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ben I'm confused which line you are asking about ? I have completely submerged my injection pump for long periods (several minutes) with no issues.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 7th, 2014, 11:12 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

There is a little black rubber boot on the can side of the pump with a little tube tail coming off of it. I watched you tube video of some guy identifying the parts of the 300 and he said that it need to be able to breath while wading.

This is my first diesel off road vehicle so it is not something I had ever thought of before.

------ Follow up post added February 7th, 2014 11:13 AM ------

Cab side of the fuel pump. Damn auto correcting iphones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 7th, 2014, 11:42 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The underside of the boost compensator needs a breather as well as the timing case. Of course, the axles and gearboxes.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 7th, 2014, 12:53 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the boost diaphragm breather, not the fuel pump. I just added my timing case to my breather manifold. I have the bits to splice in the boost diaphragm as well using the rubber boot, but waiting til it warms up.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:43 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
I'm pretty sure he is referring to the boost diaphragm breather, not the fuel pump. I just added my timing case to my breather manifold. I have the bits to splice in the boost diaphragm as well using the rubber boot, but waiting til it warms up.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-209977480.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	367.6 KB
ID:	89294

Name:	image-1826870414.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	572.0 KB
ID:	89295

I thought this was the fuel pump because it had linkage but it's this little boot
Old February 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
It is but it is called the injection pump. There is another pump called the lift pump which confused people.

The vent is for the diaphragm that adjusts the fuel rate for boost pressure.

Old February 7th, 2014, 04:21 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

So how are you planning to tie this in to the breather line to go to the manifold? I am using those Legris push to connect fittings and the 6mm poly tubing for everything else.

I was a little scared to throw out the big vocab from diesel class and call it Rosamaster injector pump for fear of not remembering correctly.
Old March 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Waiting on delivery but I think I have it worked out. Didn't realize it but the breather port on the pump is a fitting which threads off with a 17mm socket. Then head to the hydraulics shop and get a male M12x1.5 pipe adapter to 1/4 female npt. Then a male 1/4 npt to 6mm tube Legris fitting. Use bonded washers or oring between both. I haven't decided which way to go because I haven't seen the surface of the fittings yet.

All in, about $10 plus shipping. I will attach some photos when I get the fittings tomorrow.
Old March 6th, 2014, 04:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
wow. that's very deliberate for just that diaphragm. I was just going to just install a splitter to T off of my timing case breather, with a step down nylon connect so I can slip a smaller nylon line into that rubber boot and call it a day. we're only talking ambient air pressure for this application. But for $10, we'll probably come out all in at same investment.

Old March 7th, 2014, 09:56 AM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

I wanted to dump the little rubber boot. I asked Gwyn Lewis if they had anything in their wading kit for this and he tracked down a posting from a UK msg board that had it all spelled out with nice pics. Even gave the size socket to use to remove the filter piece from the pump!

I am pretty sure I could build all kinds of wondrous things if i could ever just walk into a store and put my hands on all the parts and pieces I need. Burns me up to have to pay twice the price plus shipping to have one store ship to another of its own stores just because no one feels the need to stock anything these days!
Old March 11th, 2014, 01:35 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

Here are the adapters that I picked up from applied industrial technology. I am going to put a bonded washer between the pump and the adapter and probably just use thread sealer between the adapter and Legris fitting. It has plenty of threads.

Name:	image-951851543.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	91109

It is going to be a while before I get to test it as I am I am mid restoration but I don't see any reason why it would leak. Other than the obvious factor that it's me working on it and it's a rover so it has to fail and fail expensively!
Old March 11th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
even if it leaked which led to water ingress in the boost diaphragm, it would just mean your boost diaphragm wouldn't have full movement until you came out of the wading and the water drained back out. if you are wading, you don't even need anything from the boost diaphragm. I'm thinking just turning the boost outlet pointing down would prevent water from coming into the diaphragm in the first place due to captured air, just like the breather hoses that turn back down at the end. Of all the things considered for a breather this would be the least at risk I'm thinking. couple drop leaks during a wading-no big deal.

Old March 11th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you go on an off of boost while under water, it would suck into the diaphragm. If it were mud, you might hurt the diaphragm.

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
If you go on an off of boost while under water, it would suck into the diaphragm. If it were mud, you might hurt the diaphragm.
but that suction is created only by the movement of the diaphragm, so since the vacuum is created in the space under the diaphragm, we are talking about a small amount of vacuum created only by the movement of the diaphragm itself. boost on will suck in, boost off will push out. but the point I brought up about this is to say that nothing is really under real pressure either way, so there is no real risk of the PO's threads leaking, and also that the rubber boot outlet hole is so small, that it would plug up with the smallest amount of mud under any vacuum, then blow out on opposite boost.

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Yes, but the water in there is not good. It will get in all of the moving parts with the spring, star wheel, cone and such and won't drain or get pushed out. So if you are on boost and let off, some amount of water will get sucked in. Adding a remote vent is no big deal....

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Yes, but the water in there is not good. It will get in all of the moving parts with the spring, star wheel, cone and such and won't drain or get pushed out. So if you are on boost and let off, some amount of water will get sucked in. Adding a remote vent is no big deal....
I'm with you, and I already have the stuff to do mine. And the reason I'm doing it was because when I talked to Pendy about adding a breather line to my 2.8 timing case, he specifically asked "Are you going to do the IP breather while you're at it? Because you should"

Nuff said

Old March 11th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I do agree it is not likely. I don't have a breather and wade over the hood all of the time. I've never found any water under the diaphragm.

Old March 14th, 2014, 02:58 PM
RockShow
Ben Goodwin
1996 D1

I don't figure I will do enough deep wading for it to be an issue either. I am doing a full resto on mine and tend to get bogged down in all the neat little stuff. Like switching everything to weather-tite plugs, buying overpriced JL speaker wire, and shrink wrapping everything.

A YouTube video I watched said to be sure to do it so I thought it was worth the price of a few adapters.
Old March 14th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren

Registry
Again, there's no downside to what you did, it's actually a bit over-engineered. I'm just saying there is no merit to your concern about the fixture leaking.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions