Branded title due to mileage.. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 9th, 2009, 12:03 PM
930chas
C Ham
1995 D-90

Branded title due to mileage..

Finally found "The one" and ran a Carfax on it, which stated that it had a branded title due to a "Not Actual Mileage Title" issued back in March 2000 in California. The seller had no idea about this and Autocheck states that the title is completely clear with no issues. I have asked him to find out if the speedo was maybe replaced and no documentation was provided, but other then that am at a loss on this one. Could it just be an error on the part of Carfax? If you follow the line of mileage through services and owners, nothing is off. It doesn't go from say 50k miles in 2001 to 48k miles in 2003. Any other ideas? Does this drop the value of the vehicle in the long run? Thanks much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2009, 02:54 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Could be an error - they do make them. Its hard to say what it does to the value, but if it was my truck, I'd be working hard to get the brand removed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
930chas
C Ham
1995 D-90

I agree. The seller doesn't seem too worried, but if it was mine I would be calling everyone and anyone I could to get it straight. We currently have a tentative deal that was based on the PPI being positive, but if we can't get this title thing taken care of, I will probably have to pass on what appears to be a really nice rig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:26 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Maybe that will put a fire under his a$$ to get it fixed. There is way too much fear and loathing out there about title problems these days. Some of it is justified, some isn't.

Old February 9th, 2009, 03:32 PM
930chas
C Ham
1995 D-90

I hope so. I suggested he call Land Rover and see if maybe the speedo was replaced before 2000, and if so get the documentation on that. And also call California DMV, don't know what good that will do and to even call Carfax. I am hoping maybe it is a mistake on Carfax's end because everything shows up fine with Autocheck.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:30 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I put more faith in Autocheck personally, and if the mileage all looks right, I would surmise that someone may have accidentally checked the box that says in excess of mechanical limits at some time, or more likely, carfax F'd up. If everything seems to check out, I would use it as a bargaining tool to try to get it for less, then contact carfax and get it straightened out. If they have no documentation to substantiate the brand, and it passes Autocheck, it shouldn't be too hard to get it removed.
Old February 9th, 2009, 04:40 PM
930chas
C Ham
1995 D-90

I agree and normally would try to bargain him down, but the seller is a forum member who is really a nice guy and probably needs the money from the sale. So, I am giving him all the information and help I can and hopefully he can get the issue resolved.

Also, Autocheck notes that there was a "not actual mileage title" for the vehicle, but then it was removed on a later title. So, this has got to be a Carfax issue.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions