Brakes - Horsey Style - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2011, 10:27 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Brakes - Horsey Style

Horsey

Now that you did your brakes, why don't you write a post that is actually useful about how you did it so others can learn something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:11 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

What's the problem, do you need someone to hold your hand with step by step instructions on how to change your pad?.... errr pads.....
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:27 AM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

No douche

I just want the step by step account of the work horsey got called out on for not doing months ago when he cares so much for his truck to buy it every accessory but not enough to maintain it properly.

Then again what do I know. Who needs safe brakes. I am hoping your brakes are set up in a similar fashion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2011, 11:41 AM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

oooohhh kitty likes to scratch....

You actually make a vaild point. I think a lot of people invest too much into the bling, before the truck is even up to speed. Not a smart move .....

Barry, you're also just a paranoid freak. Why don't you post up the pic of your truck with the curb feelers?
Old March 15th, 2011, 11:51 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

I am not sure his brakes where "unsafe". Yes the (1) rotor was not perfect.... it had the minimum thickness per the tech manual.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I am not sure his brakes where "unsafe". Yes the (1) rotor was not perfect.... it had the minimum thickness per the tech manual.
Was going by Horsey's brake post about one being shot and the fact that he knowingly put new pads on top of the crap rotors.

I don't have curb feelers but now that you mention it I am getting them.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:21 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by EWR View Post
You actually make a vaild point. I think a lot of people invest too much into the bling, before the truck is even up to speed. Not a smart move .....
A lot of people probably do, but I'm not guilty of that. My truck has been just about always up to speed. Before it was sent out to me it was fully gone through, and a few months after I owned it I had it gone through again by Roverlab for further peace of mind. It's a Rover so shit breaks, but I'm lucky enough to have had one with minimal issues...I'd say an ignition switch, starter and pads/rotors in a year of ownership isn't all that bad! I've made it comfortable for my uses, and most of the "accessories" Barry speaks of were already supplied by the previous owner which I have improved upon by usually selling the old one and buying something that better suits my needs. As you can see I put a real emphasis on buying a truck with just about no rust at all, while Barry bought a truck that looked pretty, but also appears to have been discovered along with the lost city of Atlantis with all of the rust it has.

Barry, you'll get your update soon enough. I've been concentrating on getting my winning March Madness bracket put together. Oh, and work.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:37 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Looking forward to the update. Yes my truck is very rusty. Lost cause really. I might part it out if anyone needs anything.

Who knows what is going on with your truck under the rhinolining.

As for your lame excuse, the fact is you knew there was an issue and did a half ass fix much like how you waited on your oil lines and how you drove on bald tires. You do treat that truck right. The previous owner would be proud. Send him the pics of you driving behind the salt truck.

My truck had one winter 17 years ago in ct and the crossmember did that and everything else is spotless. Can't wait to see pics of your truck next year.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
A lot of people probably do, but I'm not guilty of that. My truck has been just about always up to speed. Before it was sent out to me it was fully gone through, and a few months after I owned it I had it gone through again by Roverlab for further peace of mind. It's a Rover so shit breaks, but I'm lucky enough to have had one with minimal issues...I'd say an ignition switch, starter and pads/rotors in a year of ownership isn't all that bad! I've made it comfortable for my uses, and most of the "accessories" Barry speaks of were already supplied by the previous owner which I have improved upon by usually selling the old one and buying something that better suits my needs. As you can see I put a real emphasis on buying a truck with just about no rust at all, while Barry bought a truck that looked pretty, but also appears to have been discovered along with the lost city of Atlantis with all of the rust it has.

Barry, you'll get your update soon enough. I've been concentrating on getting my winning March Madness bracket put together. Oh, and work.
Horsey, you were able to type all of that and then you say you don't have time to give an update on the status of your truck?

Also, you may not have any visible rust (well that remains to be seen until you post up some detailed photos) but can you peel back that rhinolining and show us what lurks beneath?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:46 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Josh my comment wasn't directed at you, just a generalized statement.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
I konw, right? Brand new redirected oil cooler lines could burst at any second!!!!!! I can't believe I waited to install them within the first few hundred miles of owning it when I got a bunch of other work done on it. Shame on me. Shame on me for buying all new tires and selling off the old ones that had probably 20k+ miles of life left in them, too. haha. Please, give me a break.
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:57 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

If I didn't know you two were kidding with each other I would think I was reading Dweb!
Old March 15th, 2011, 12:58 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
Horsey, you were able to type all of that and then you say you don't have time to give an update on the status of your truck?
You will get an update from me as soon as I see a thread from Barry dedicated to his story of his recent acquisition which he has neglected to keep us updated on.
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:00 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
I konw, right? Brand new redirected oil cooler lines could burst at any second!!!!!! I can't believe I waited to install them within the first few hundred miles of owning it when I got a bunch of other work done on it. Shame on me. Shame on me for buying all new tires and selling off the old ones that had probably 20k+ miles of life left in them, too. haha. Please, give me a break.
I can't believe someone actually bought those tires and is attempting to use them. Is the offender on this board?

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:01 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
I can't believe someone actually bought those tires and is attempting to use them. Is the offender on this board?
Yes, Barry bought them to keep rotating as a mismatched spare.
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:03 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Horsey

If you knew anything:

New factory oil lines burst constantly. Ask ecr.

Your tires you said shook and you needed them.

As for my prius acquisition it is an unwritten rule to not speak of such things. When you get big boy pants you can pm me and I can go down to Toyota headquarters in Torrance and get you one.
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

Quote:
Yes, Barry bought them to keep rotating as a mismatched spare.
Well what are you using for your mismatched spare and wheel too?

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:14 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
As for my prius acquisition it is an unwritten rule to not speak of such things. When you get big boy pants you can pm me and I can go down to Toyota headquarters in Torrance and get you one.
How about when you get big boy pants and want to try to do your rotors without sending them to the shop to be done, you can just PM me.
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:18 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Current scores of this debate, the way I see it:

Barry: 6
Josh: 4
Brian: 1
Old March 15th, 2011, 01:32 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
As for my prius acquisition it is an unwritten rule to not speak of such things.

So then why would you brag about it elsewhere? Seems like you should err on the side of caution.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake