Brakes - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 20th, 2015, 01:16 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

Brakes

What are you guys using for rotors,calipers and pads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2015, 01:47 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Genuine.

I have run the DBA rotors before, seemed fine.

Never run anything other than Genuine pads, as they have always worked very well.
Old July 20th, 2015, 01:52 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I use StopTech slotted rotors on almost everything.
Stock calipers with Hawk pads.

http://stoptech.com/products/rotors/...h-sport-rotors
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2015, 02:09 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I've been running wagner rotors and pads for quite a few years and either original calipers or Cardone reman.
next time I need calipers I'll use some I've rebuilt with stainless pistons.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 20th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Ai91
Anthony
97 defender 90

How are the ebc drilled/slotted rotors?
Old July 20th, 2015, 04:05 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-957812008.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	460.5 KB
ID:	125502

Terrafirma rotors, EBC Green Stuff pads, Terrafirma lines. Bit noisy right now at slow speed stops, but brakes like a champ with no judder or pull. I would not do slotted/drilled for off pavement driving.
Old July 20th, 2015, 11:37 PM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Use any rotors including generic but not slotted or drilled and for pads use akae bono "the correct spelling eludes me right now" euro pads! The pads are on ebay for $55 or so. Ove installed these on MKIIIs, Defenders, Disco IIs, P38s and after 30K miles pads and rotors look brand new! Unbelievable grip, zero noise, excellent modulation, feedback and longevity. Wont eat your rotors or dirty your wheels with brake dust! You will only get thede results if you use brand new rotors or redurface your existing ones if you have enough metal left.
Old August 6th, 2015, 02:31 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Departing90 View Post
Use any rotors including generic but not slotted or drilled and for pads use akae bono "the correct spelling eludes me right now" euro pads! The pads are on ebay for $55 or so. Ove installed these on MKIIIs, Defenders, Disco IIs, P38s and after 30K miles pads and rotors look brand new! Unbelievable grip, zero noise, excellent modulation, feedback and longevity. Wont eat your rotors or dirty your wheels with brake dust! You will only get thede results if you use brand new rotors or redurface your existing ones if you have enough metal left.
Hi guys, new to the forum and the USA... Can anyone provide a part number for the Defender brake pads, I am not finding anything local with the STC9145M or STC1601AP codes. Thanks.
Old August 6th, 2015, 06:32 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

I've used slotted DBA rotors for over ten years in dirt/gravel/mud/off road use and never had an issue.
For a number of years I had to travel near 10km and one river crossing just to get to the bitumen from home.

Probably 200,000km on them now, maybe more and they are just getting down to replacement thickness.
I know that doesn't mean much as I live in the bush, so they don't get hammered as a city driven vehicle would, but the truck is used for work, driven daily and most of it's life has tared at 3000kg and I live in a pretty hilly part of Oz, we call it mountainous but really only hills compared to what everyone else in the world has.

I don't like drilled rotors, the holes tend to propagate cracks as they are a stress raiser, let alone be a trap for rocks and mud in an off roader.
I realise some high performance cars use them, but they tend to be cast or are very carefully machined, and having used drilled rotors on race cars and having one fail at high speed (and the other four were close to failure) I'm very lairy of them.

Currently running TRW Euro pads and finding them OK, and no squeal from dirt/gravel use which was so bloody annoying when using Ferodo 4WD pads, but always open to something better.
Old August 6th, 2015, 11:19 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi-rick View Post

I don't like drilled rotors, the holes tend to propagate cracks as they are a stress raiser, let alone be a trap for rocks and mud in an off roader.
I realise some high performance cars use them, but they tend to be cast or are very carefully machined, and having used drilled rotors on race cars and having one fail at high speed (and the other four were close to failure) I'm very lairy of them.
Thats because racing brake rotors are designed from the beginning to accommodate slots or holes and are considerably larger / made from higher grade metals. since OEM rotors can only be X in size AF manufacturers simply take the rotor blanks and drill holes and slots in them thereby compromising the affectivness and integrity of the part. Ive removed badly glazed rusted on drilled rotors were after a couple of whacks with a hammer they shattered like crystal bowls!
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:07 PM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Do you guys source the brake pads locally? If so where and what part number. I put new brake pads on in Colombia a while back but they squeel horribly.

Btw, here is my introduction to the forum. Nothing worse than a newby full of questions... Introduction - Defender Source
Old August 6th, 2015, 04:18 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandingMan View Post
Do you guys source the brake pads locally? If so where and what part number. I put new brake pads on in Colombia a while back but they squeel horribly.
My suggestion... Go here: http://www.defendersnw.com/ By that I mean, drive over to their shop regardless of whether or not he has pads in stock.

This is the owner: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uett-8120.html

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:30 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
My suggestion... Go here: http://www.defendersnw.com/ By that I mean, drive over to their shop regardless of whether or not he has pads in stock.

This is the owner: http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...uett-8120.html
Hi, I was pretty sure that I posted a response but maybe I didnt click reply. We have spent quite a bit of time with Brian in Gig Harbour, we even camped at his workshop a few nights. Thing is he has a business to run and doesn't need me pestering him for part numbers, we try to establish low maintenance friendships. So if anyone knows where I can get some brake pads... Or am I just over thinking this? Can I just go in to O Reillys and ask for Defender brake pads?
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:19 AM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
I seriously question if anyone at O'Reilly would know what a Defender is.

A conversation I had at Pep Boys a few years back.
"I need an spark plugs for a 98 Land Rover Discovery."
"Ok, let's see. 98 Toyota Land Rover."
"No. Just Land Rover."
"Who makes it?"
"LAND ROVER."
"Hmmm. Nope. I can't find that in my computer."
"Geez! Never mind. NAPA has them."
Old August 7th, 2015, 02:34 AM
OverlandingMan
Graeme Bell
2003 Defender TD5 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuisC View Post
I seriously question if anyone at O'Reilly would know what a Defender is.

A conversation I had at Pep Boys a few years back.
"I need an spark plugs for a 98 Land Rover Discovery."
"Ok, let's see. 98 Toyota Land Rover."
"No. Just Land Rover."
"Who makes it?"
"LAND ROVER."
"Hmmm. Nope. I can't find that in my computer."
"Geez! Never mind. NAPA has them."
Guess I'll stay clear of Pep Boys then
Old August 7th, 2015, 03:02 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

The most common reasons that brakes squeal after replacement are inferior brake pads or bad rotors. If tye old pads had groved tye rotors badly then you must have them resurfaced prior to installing new pads.. Just walk into ANY major parts house, tell tyem what you drive, get the best pads they carry or can order, pull out your phone and verify tye part # on the spot and pull the trigger. Find a good tech to eyeball your rotors and tell you if they have enough meat on them to warrant a resurface or yiu need new ones. Done......
Old August 7th, 2015, 05:08 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

Quote:
The most common reasons that brakes squeal after replacement are inferior brake pads or bad rotors. If tye old pads had groved tye rotors badly then you must have them resurfaced prior to installing new pads.. Just walk into ANY major parts house, tell tyem what you drive, get the best pads they carry or can order, pull out your phone and verify tye part # on the spot and pull the trigger. Find a good tech to eyeball your rotors and tell you if they have enough meat on them to warrant a resurface or yiu need new ones. Done......

Err, no, some compounds just squeal when dusty.

It doesn't mean they are poor compounds, it just means they squeal.
It's some sort of harmonic or resonance.
It's why a lot of pads use an anti-squeal compound on the back of the pad, it acts as a damper.
Old August 7th, 2015, 11:26 AM
Departing90
Sasha
95 D90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdi-rick View Post
Err, no, some compounds just squeal when dusty.

It doesn't mean they are poor compounds, it just means they squeal.
It's some sort of harmonic or resonance.
It's why a lot of pads use an anti-squeal compound on the back of the pad, it acts as a damper.

Errr yes....
The ONLY compounds that squeal out the box are performance ones such as brembos and Its seriously doubtful thats what he used!!

What do you mean "its some sort of harmanic resonance" and thats why they put anti squeal compound on back of brake pads!?

At least if your going to refute someone and dispense unfounded /dubious tech advise at the same time for lack of a better word be good enough to explain and proove your stand for everyone to learn from and if you can't, well you know.............
Old August 8th, 2015, 09:03 AM
tdi-rick
Rick
'98 130CC

Quote:
Errr yes....
The ONLY compounds that squeal out the box are performance ones such as brembos and Its seriously doubtful thats what he used!!

What do you mean "its some sort of harmanic resonance" and thats why they put anti squeal compound on back of brake pads!?

At least if your going to refute someone and dispense unfounded /dubious tech advise at the same time for lack of a better word be good enough to explain and proove your stand for everyone to learn from and if you can't, well you know.............
Really ?

Unfounded and dubious tech advise ?

Ferodo 4wd pads squeal when dusty.

Mintex squeal when dusty.

Plenty of quality aftermarket pads squeal when dusty.

What do you think the silicon type coating is on the back of some pads ?
It minimises the resonance that can be set up with certain compounds.

Why do manufacturers use half shims on the back of some pads ?
It promotes pad toe in, again, trying to minimise noise and squeal.
Chamfers on the leading edge do a similar thing.

I used Ferodo for years, good bite, excellent fade resistance but in the finish couldn't handle the persistent squealing so am currently using TRW.
Problem solved.

It had nothing to do with cheap pads or poor rotors in this instance, it was the compound.
Old August 9th, 2015, 01:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
yeah, certain pads squeal. i have had a few in my lifetime that have squealed - in the corolla and the vw.

performance or price didnt seem to matter. probably had to with the compound and mechanical design of the pads.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions