Brake Switch Removal - 1997 D-90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2013, 02:55 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Brake Switch Removal - 1997 D-90

First off, thank you very much (to the forum members ) for making it so easy to source the nature of my problem. I have brake lights that will not turn off. After 15 min on the forum I had the answer. I checked my brake light switch and it had broken off and was hanging there. So now the question is: Part of the white plastic piece is still threaded in the hole. Its not exactly an easy place to get to. Does anyone have any suggestions on an easy way the get the plastic piece out so I can thread the new switch in?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 02:59 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Maybe stuff some epoxy putty into the hole and leave a T shaped piece sticking out? Let it harden and then twist out.
Old May 8th, 2013, 03:14 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Do you have the brake tower out? Just carefully drill through it and tap the rest out. If the tower is still in that will be more difficult. You may have to come from the bottom, inside the footwell.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2013, 03:25 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Brake tower is still in place. I was hoping to replace the switch without having to take the tower out as that seems like a lot of work. Always looking for the easier way! Problem is you can hardly see the hole with the tower installed. I only know he plastic is in there by examining the broken switch. Maybe the epoxy and t-handle should be the first try.
Old May 8th, 2013, 08:55 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Look from inside the footwell. You should be able to see the white plastic nipple sticking out onto the brake pedal arm. Try grabbing it with some pliers or push it out.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old May 8th, 2013, 09:25 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Ok, spent about an with right angle picks. Trying to pry the piece out or break it. No luck. It was the only tool i cound fit in there? I looked from under the dash - piece does not stick out and is not visible. Probably less space to work under there than in the engine compartment. I have thought about the epoxy option but was thinking about a way to melt it. Then I could get it out with the picks. I'm not exactly keen on using an open flame in the engine compartment so was thinking of something like a soldering iron. But that won't fit. - any ideas?
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:06 AM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

If I can get a micro torch to fit are there rubber seals or anything I might burn. I don't want to make the situation worse. From whet a can tell it all looks like metal components in that area. Idea is to soften the plastic just enough to pull it out with picks. Does this sound like a good plan?
Old May 9th, 2013, 07:42 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Not to me
Old May 9th, 2013, 08:25 AM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
I would just pull the brake tower. Undo all the bolts and you may be able to angle it to get a better view.

Old May 9th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

You don't want heat there. What I try is the smallest possible drill bit thats snug and nibble away at the plastic. Then take needle nose pliers and see if you can twist remnants out.
You might need to go up a drill bit size but eventually it will just fall apart.
You don't want to damage the fitting though!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 16th, 2013, 03:07 PM
JKC
John
1997 D-90

Just to follow up if this happens to anyone else. I didn't want to go through all the work of taking the tower out so I went with the micro torch. Shot the flame in the hole at a 45 degree angle for 5-10 sec and as soon as I saw a wisp of smoke I pulled it away and then went at it with a right angle pick. Did the same thing one more time and out it came - a distorted white chunk of threaded plastic. and only took 5 minutes. I don't really like using a flame in the engine bay but as far as I could see from the parts breakdown there is nothing immediately near the brake switch hole that would be affected by a little heat!
Old December 17th, 2016, 11:50 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Old thread but having the same issue.. anyone have any other suggestions on how to get out the broken piece? thinking of trying picking up a screw extractor but thought id check in here first.
Old January 12th, 2017, 03:24 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37 View Post
Old thread but having the same issue.. anyone have any other suggestions on how to get out the broken piece? thinking of trying picking up a screw extractor but thought id check in here first.
I had same issue and just read this thread. I ended up loosening the brake components from foot well to gain better but still not good access to the hole. Ended up using a torch (very carefully) until plastic was melted. Was then able to get out in little chunks. What a mess for a stupid little part! Hope this helps.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
1997, brake, d-90, switch