Brake problem - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 5th, 2014, 04:34 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
Brake problem

Looking for anyone with a hunch what these symptoms might mean (110, RHD, V-8, 1988).

I did a search of previous threads but did not hit paydirt

• Occasionally my brakes feel like they are old style brakes - not power brakes
  • the pedal is still firm (maybe a bit firmer actually) but I have to apply a lot more pressure to stop
  • It seems when this happens the pedal does not go as far down - its firmer and engages higher
  • vacuum hose from intake manifold is tight and in good condition
  • no obvious pulling to one side or the other when I am experiencing the problem
  • Seems totally random, I can't associate it with anything else (temperature, speed ?)
  • Is it the master cylinder, booster, that partitioning valve on the bulkhead below the master cylinder?

It is not (yet) posing an unsafe condition but if anyone recognizes the symptoms i'll be better prepared to make the necessary fixes - thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2014, 06:17 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I believe firmer indicates lack of vacuum. With the ignition off, press on the brake pedal. Does it feel like that when this occurs? If yes, then you are losing vacuum somehow.
Old April 5th, 2014, 07:02 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

There is a vacuum check valve on the intake that the booster gets it's vacuum through. Check for dirt/blockage/sticking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 5th, 2014, 08:42 PM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
check valve

No check valve at the intake manifold but the vacuum hose connects to a white plastic fitting at the servo and the parts diagram calls that a valve. I presume that 's what you are referring to. Does it pull right out of the server with a tug? It has a black rubber grommet that holds it in place. Just don't want to force it out if it has something holding it from the other side.
Old April 6th, 2014, 04:47 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

check for cracks on the booster around the area where the brake cylinder is mounted, It may help to get someone to depress the brake pedal while you look for movement.

regards
Gren
Old October 13th, 2014, 11:32 AM
akrockhound
Jack
1988 RHD 110

Registry
it was the valve

It turned out the problem was the valve at the intake manifold end of the brake servo vacuum line. It screws into the top of the intake manifold

The valve is spring-loaded - I think it is a one-way valve- but in mine the spring was bent and the valve was inop. Found it at Rimmer Brothers for about $5.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake