Brake Pad Clunking Noise - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 1st, 2011, 08:43 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Brake Pad Clunking Noise

I'll spare the full drama here but I had the dealer put in new front rotors and pads on my 1997 D90. The pads were making this clunk-clunk sound that was very audible at low speeds after they did their initial work. As soon as I applied the brakes the clunking noise went away. The tech said they didn't include pins so they used the same pins with the new pads. The pins were too thin according to them so the pads are moving/floating a bit when pressure isn't being applied. Long story short they ordered a completely new set and put those in (charged me labor - yeehaw!). Well apparently the pin is just as thin so it's doing it again!

Now they claim I might need new calipers to fix the problem! Does this seem reasonable? Are they just ordering the wrong pad sets? This is a LR dealer serves me right I guess.

Any advice is welcome before I subject myself to more torture!

-h
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2011, 09:40 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
Mine have done that for two years. Did you replace your pads with Genuine? I dont think there is anything you can do about the pins. How do the springs on the pins look? I stretched mine out a little so it would have more tension when compressed and it helped a little.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old March 1st, 2011, 03:35 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by waveridin1959 View Post
Mine have done that for two years. Did you replace your pads with Genuine? I dont think there is anything you can do about the pins. How do the springs on the pins look? I stretched mine out a little so it would have more tension when compressed and it helped a little.
I haven't had time to even check. The tech said he actually took 2 springs and curled them together to try to keep them with a bit of tension when the brakes aren't applied. That worked for about 3 days but once the pads had some use and were worn a tiny bit the noise came back. As far as being LR genuine I have to assume they are because it was done at the dealer.

(That was actually part of the drama I left off - me buying incompatible pads/rotors and having a wicked squeal. You don't even want to know how much my poor wallet has felt pain on this ordeal.... I just want the misery to end! And no I'm not getting rid of the truck. I have the disease everyone has here!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 1st, 2011, 07:47 PM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I think Horsey's solution was to forego new rotors and just put new pads over his fully worn rotors. I'm sure he has no clunking especially when his brakes finally give out and he goes flying off the road...that's just what I hear.

Obviously your issue doesn't sound right. Maybe bring the truck by a brake shop and have them take a look? Sorry got no real tech advice on this one.

-->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:08 PM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

The fact that a shop would fit them like that disturbs me greatly. It's one thing to do it like that yourself but when these pricks that won't even loan you a floor jack to quickly adjust your rear drums because of "liability" will skimp and install non-correct parts, especially for brakes... arrghh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Old March 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

It does suck for sure. Since a shop did it I would make them fix it. Did you bring them the pads? If not as part of a brake service they should have the correct new parts. Then again the shop could have been a dirt driveway and horsey could have been the mechanic.
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:11 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
This was done by an official LR dealer here in Tampa Bay! Due to the drama I didn't include in my post I opted to use LR genuine parts - they prefer that anyway of course. So my feeling is that they must have ordered the wrong pads. The calipers are stock and original.

Well from the responses here this is not normal and I'll need to call them - AGAIN. I've spent far too much time in the Land Rover customer lounge. No amount of free doughnuts and coffee in the lounge is making up for this!
Old March 2nd, 2011, 08:44 AM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

I have the same problem on my 90, the front N/S ( drivers side to you ) pads are rattling when driving slowly or crusing to a stop.

I have replaced the pins, springs & pads and also copper greased them and they still clank!
I have found a slight warp in the rotor that can be only just felt when the brakes are hot, i think the warp is kicking a pad up against the pins as it only does it when rolling slowly and the clack clack noise is at its most noticable when the wheel is rotating at 1-3 rpm.

if I have time this weekend I'll pull the rotors ofF the front and check them on an engineers face, they have only done 5K miles but were paddocks own brand of slotted and drilled rotors @ £55 per pair so should not be surprised if one has a warp.

do you feel any feedback from your brakes?

regards

Gren
Old March 3rd, 2011, 08:10 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
do you feel any feedback from your brakes?
None - everything seems normal to be honest. The rotors are new as well - hoping they weren't warped. I called the shop yesterday and they promised to fix the issue. We'll see - In the mean time the drama continues!
Old March 4th, 2011, 06:08 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

I'm surprised they would not use new pins initially regardless of if they came with the pads. It's a couple bucks or less their cost, and they can recover it from you!

It would take a lot to wear a caliper to the point that the pads would move around enough to make a noise you can hear over the background racket in a Defender. Keep after them, and perhaps ask them to provide some part numbers for you to double check what they installed.

I just did all 4 brakes on my 110 -- rebuilt calipers, new pads, new pins, new discs -- all of it was non-Genuine parts, and it all works perfectly, no unusual noises or anything.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 4th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

What it sounds like is that the pads are shifting forward when the brake is applied. If the caliper is worn enough you will get these symptoms....but that is really hard to wear the caliper that much. The pins and springs most likely won't give you this type of noise. Ferodo pads fit better than everything else I've ever used. It's the backing plate of the pads that are clunking against the top and bottom of the caliper....not side to side movement or pin/spring stuff. Crawl under the rig and see if you can pry the pads up and down. If you don't want to replace the pads again you can sqeeze some "brake anti-sqeel" goo on the ends of the pad plates to give them a little membrane between the caliper and the backing plate. It normally fixes it for the life of the pads. Pins and springs should always be replaced when pads are done....that's why it's called the "Stealershop".
Old March 5th, 2011, 11:43 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
I uploaded a video that shows what is going on. You can see the inner pad is shifting. It sounds more like a click up close but more like a "clunk" when driving. Notice the outside pad isn't really moving that much.

You can also see that the land rover dealer put 2 springs inside each other trying to put more pressure against the pads. The problem doesn't appear to be horizontal pressure but vertical movement.

Thoughts?
Old March 6th, 2011, 06:47 AM
TS888
Tony Sims
1984 110

As Roverchef said, it's the fit of the pads in the caliper. The springs and pins are not a close fit, they'll never stop that. I have a pair of front brake calipers in the garage that has a wire clip that runs parallel with the pad and resists the motion you show, but I've not seen another pair like them, and I don't know what year they are. I'll fish in the parts book and see if I can find them.

I second the advice to put something on the end of the backing plates to shim them so they can't move, or the the movement is damped to end the noticeable sound.

Edit:
Never mind, I took a look at the calipers in the garage and the clips I mentioned are just a different style of the older anti-rattle clip. They don't actually stop the pads from moving up and down.
Originally Posted by chris snell
This is straight out of the Manual for Build Builders.
Tony
1984 110 "Smokey" (sold)
Old March 6th, 2011, 08:50 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by TS888 View Post
I second the advice to put something on the end of the backing plates to shim them so they can't move, or the the movement is damped to end the noticeable sound.
That's not a bad idea I just don't know what would be best to wedge in there. I imagine a piece of rubber I guess. If I have some time this afternoon I'll try something.

I'm still confused at why this issue doesn't seem "normal" - it seems like only a few of us have seen this problem which tells me the dealer is picking the wrong parts/pads.
Old March 6th, 2011, 09:30 AM
specops1526
Brian
Beluga '97 90

I hate to say it but a lot of LR dealers aren't great with Defenders anymore. I think most of the techs are familiar with the newer models so maybe you'd have better luck with an indy shop that sees more defenders? I still think the dealer should make it right but maybe you can stop by somewhere and have them take a look and let you know where the issue is.

-->
Beluga 97 D-90
Chawton 04 DII SE
Tangiers 04 DII G4
Old March 6th, 2011, 04:52 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by specops1526 View Post
I hate to say it but a lot of LR dealers aren't great with Defenders anymore. I think most of the techs are familiar with the newer models so maybe you'd have better luck with an indy shop that sees more defenders? I still think the dealer should make it right but maybe you can stop by somewhere and have them take a look and let you know where the issue is.
I agree with you completely. Unfortunately I can't reach the father/son team who I used to use for the last 10 years and I tried another local shop who stuck it to me a number of times over the last 2 years. I have the name of someone in Sarasota but that's a bit of a hike. I wish there were someone local to Tampa/St. Pete. If anyone has any names please let me know!
Old April 14th, 2011, 03:38 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
So I took the truck back to the Land Rover dealer here in Tampa Bay and they had the truck for 2 weeks while I was away. They claimed to have fixed it by getting the right pads. I drove home and once 20 miles were on it the clunking was back!!! I'm sure the pads as sliding just as they are in the youtube video I posted.

Question: Do front pads have some freedom to move up/down like this normally (minus the clunking sound of course)? If so could it be that the rotors (brand new) that they put on are warped and knocking into the pads? If that is not possible or likely what in the hell are they doing wrong or what parts are they ordering that are incorrect!?

This is a LR dealer and while Defenders aren't as common I'd like to think this is a pretty simple fix/work.

I've had 2 D90s and never had this happen. Sure squeaking but this clunking is crazy. They need to resolve this issue and I just want to be informed. Any advice is appreciated!

-h
Old April 14th, 2011, 04:28 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Every set of OEM LR Pads that I have ever seen included a new hardware kit. Makes me wonder what they think they are ordering.

As for the Stealerships, the 2 in town will only work on Defenders to sell them. They will not work on a customer's Defender or RR Classic. Bastards.
Old April 14th, 2011, 08:30 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97-D90-736 View Post
Every set of OEM LR Pads that I have ever seen included a new hardware kit. Makes me wonder what they think they are ordering.

As for the Stealerships, the 2 in town will only work on Defenders to sell them. They will not work on a customer's Defender or RR Classic. Bastards.
Good to know. I'll pop off the wheel and see if the pins are the same.

As far as using the dealership... that's a drama by itself. Historically I rarely used the dealer but the 2 people I've done work with in the past - good folks - are completely MIA and have been for the last year. Really strange.
Old April 14th, 2011, 09:03 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
mine have been doing it for 5 or 6 years I dont even notice it anymore

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake