Brake Pad Clunking Noise - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 15th, 2011, 08:54 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

One solution is to swap your motor for a TDI, the sound will magically disappear.

Seriously, what would concern me is that you are describing the sound as "clunking" and after the brakes have been applied and released. I wouldn't be 100% on that being the pads, although the description of the sound is somewhat relative so it could be. Those pads are designed to have some play and they must have it. I wonder if the rotor replacement has something to do with this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2011, 10:14 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevkon View Post
One solution is to swap your motor for a TDI, the sound will magically disappear.

Seriously, what would concern me is that you are describing the sound as "clunking" and after the brakes have been applied and released. I wouldn't be 100% on that being the pads, although the description of the sound is somewhat relative so it could be. Those pads are designed to have some play and they must have it. I wonder if the rotor replacement has something to do with this.
Well part of me says it's a D90 what do I expect! So true to your point on general noise... I don't believe this is s safety concern - it's more being nailed by the dealership. I've paid a premium therefore I want it done right - period. I do think the rotors are hitting the brakes when they aren't applied causing this and they probably just jammed something against the pad this time hoping I wouldn't notice. It's quieter this time around - when I pull off the wheel this weekend I'll take a look and see what they did. We'll see. It's always something.

-h
Old April 15th, 2011, 11:38 AM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
check bearing end play,.. land rover does not support vehicles older than 5 yrs, has not done so since 2000, hence the lack of tecks properly trained to work on older trucks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 15th, 2011, 11:44 AM
Roverchef
Jake K.
95 D90 SW

I can't believe this problem has not been solved yet....Stealership! While you are in there, check the two caliper mounting bolts and make sure they are tight. This could also cause these symptoms.
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:13 PM
DNinety
JP
1984 Ninety 200TDI

Update: I just watched your video and that answers the question I had (now erased).
Old April 15th, 2011, 05:40 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi hutch, i swapped my rotors out cured the warp but now both sides clunk.. ! arse.

however i have cured a clunk on my mates td5, same situation as yourself he had the vehicle serviced which included new pads all round about a week later he noticed them clunking when rolling to a stop.
he took it back to the garage and they said it was normal.!
though they did remove the pads & re coat the back of the pad with copper grease, this stopped it for a few days then clunking restarted.

I had a look and sure enough the pad is moving forward in the calliper and hitting the leading edge, I cured it by fitting a set of ferodo brake pads bought from the local motor factors.
these pads had a soft pad stuck to the backplate i fitted them dry & pressed the brake hard to set the piston into the soft backing took it for a run...no clunk!

I saw him tonight and its still clunk free a week later, I'll buy a set for mine tomorrow and see if i can fit them sunday.

you can see the backing pad on the brake pad on their home page:http://www.ferodo.co.uk/ferodo_web/about-us.aspx

regards all

Gren
Old April 15th, 2011, 06:10 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Are you taking about the Thermoquiet pads?
Old April 16th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

No they were just the standard ferodo pads for the td5.
Today I bought a set of pads for mine, the local factors were out of ferodo but I bought a set of Delphi
pads that looked the same and fitted them earlier today after a 50 mile run no clunk.!
I'll post pics later
regards
Old April 17th, 2011, 01:27 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roverchef View Post
I can't believe this problem has not been solved yet....Stealership! While you are in there, check the two caliper mounting bolts and make sure they are tight. This could also cause these symptoms.
I think this is the issue - going to pop off the wheel today. They stand by that they are going to solve it for me - they better it's getting annoying. They say the pads are about 1/8 of an inch too small so they are moving and the pin is too small as well. They are going to try aftermarket and measure the next set. We'll see.
Old April 17th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

Hi hutch I doubt its the calliper bolts easy to check anyway.
100 miles in and my clunk is gone after replacing the original pads they only had 6K miles on them and were noisy from the start.

now i can cruise slowly, checking my reflection in shop windows with only the gentle tinkle of the tdi and flap of the ST.

regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pads 006.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	37944   Click image for larger version

Name:	pads 005.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	37945  

Click image for larger version

Name:	pads 003.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	102.2 KB
ID:	37946   Click image for larger version

Name:	pads 002.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	37947  

Old April 18th, 2011, 08:55 AM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Thanks for the photos - helpful to compare. Dumb question... these are the new pads in the photos I'm assuming? So you have no vertical play with the new set up? Or is it just minimal? I have too ,much play:

Yesterday came and went and I didn't have time to work on the truck. (Also my jack is leaking oil and I'm a bit worried to use it!) One evening this week I'll take a look top-down and rule out the bolts.

sorry to drag this thread out but the advice is appreciated. Hopefully there will be a positive resolution to this annoyance...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gren_T View Post
now i can cruise slowly, checking my reflection in shop windows with only the gentle tinkle of the tdi and flap of the ST.
That's pure poetry! I think I shed a tear...!

One day soon that will be me. Until then I hear a CLUNK!! CLUNK!! and the whine of the bearings in my alternator about to explode.

-h
Old April 18th, 2011, 06:44 PM
Gren_T
Gren Thomas
1985 90 300tdi auto

In the pics with the 3 pads the new one is in the middle you can see the circles from the pistons in the grease on the backplate of the old ones.
yes i have a small amount of play in the pad but it now does not clunk i think the backing pad stops the pad slipping past the pistons and hitting the leading edge of the calliper, don't know if the chamfer on the pads helps any.

I waxed the beast (not a euphemism for my gristle stick or my wife.!) yesterday and she looks great in the shop windows .. shame the driver looks like Frankenstein's ugly twin

regards all
Old July 15th, 2011, 08:20 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Just a follow up here...

The dealer ended up installing after market pads and they sit nice and tight. The clunk is gone.

Apparently the pads ordered by the dealers are simply not manufactured properly anymore. These were a 1/8" wider and fit perfectly.

-h
Old July 15th, 2011, 10:02 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

I think you'll find the genuine pads fit really nicely in a new caliper. Some aftermarket pads are really hard to get into a new caliper as they are too big. I've had to file pads to get them to fit into new calipers correctly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake