Brake options - what would you do in a pinch? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:34 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Angry Brake options - what would you do in a pinch?

In true fashion I realized less than a week before Uhwarrie Safari that i had two stuck pistons on one of my front brake calipers on the 110, and the pad on that side was getting worn very fast - to the point of looking dangerous.

I decided to throw on my D90 calipers to get me by, but felt wary of the fact that the D90 calipers are made for vented rotors so there is a bigger gap between the pistons. With new pads I think it's safe to run this way, but decided to try play it safe.

So I ordered some parts and got the calipers rebuilt, but the pads are different than a NAS D90 say. I thought I could use the D90 clevis pins but the 110 has slightly smaller holes for the cotter pins. So I have to make a choice on what combination of parts to run with for this trip.

I guess first question is are these Discovery 1 front brake pads? If so, I can probably get those tomorrow. Image attached below, and higher res version here:

http://lhsw.com/gallery/janeyFrontBrakes/DSC02735

Then, which would you do?

1. Run the D90 calipers with fresh brake pads? It looks like there would be a safe amount of travel left in the pistons with new pads. They are a good fit otherwise (and test drove ok).

http://lhsw.com/gallery/janeyFrontBrakes/DSC02737

2. Use my 110 calipers with new D90 pads and springs over the cotter pins instead of the normal flat spring steel between the top of the pads and the cotter pins.

http://lhsw.com/gallery/janeyFrontBrakes/DSC02736

3. Drill out the holes for the cotter pins so the clevis pin will fit, and use the D90 style pads and clevis pins and springs. It looks like this would work but I am not sure if this is a good idea. The calipers seem identical in every respect except the aforementioned holes and the gap for the rotors.

I just need to get about 1K miles out of this setup, by which time I am sure I can get the right pads.

thanks
charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	discopads.sized.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	12902  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:37 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Why not just put the 90 calipers and rotors on the 110? Since you had it all apart anyways? I just don't want any excuses as to why you are not present at Uwharrie.

See ya on Thursday,

Scott

Old April 8th, 2008, 10:47 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Oh no excuses, Ill be there.

See above about the gap for the rotors. The vented rotors are about 1/3" wider than the solid ones. This means the pistons will travel 1/3" further on the one side (they are fixed on the inner side, not floating like say on a honda).

The pistons are 1.21" long. As shown above they show about 0.66" of piston, I'd say it's about a 1/4" from the inside of the inner seal to the outer edge of the caliper so that leaves about 0.3" in the bore there. New pads will put another 1/4" into the bore. So is a 1/2" in the bore good enough?

So if no-one thinks this is unsafe, that what I'll do. But I don't want to ignore that little voice in my head that's saying something like "you're on f*ng crack" each time my mind wanders to this.

charles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2008, 12:30 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Scott is saying to put the D90 rotors _and_ calipers on there - that seems reasonable - and I think that's what I'd do just so there wouldnt be anything "adapted."

I think your spring set up should work fine, I mean, it looks like the pads are secure and not going anywhere.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old April 9th, 2008, 06:30 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Crack head-lol
Does this mean I get to sleep in Thurs morning or do you still want me to leave @ O'dark thirty ?

between your brakes and my vibrations we should make quite the pair driving nearly 1000 miles in a weekend.

We took a vote and you/Janey get to lead the convoy.

Follow-up Post:

Charles- why not pony up for the correct 110 pads, got be some local....

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 9th, 2008, 07:18 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Scott is saying to put the D90 rotors _and_ calipers on there
Aah, i see - missed that. Yes makes sense, although I haven't looked to see if there would be any other gotchas with swapping the rotors, and time is now an issue. I'm not sure I can get those swapped tonight as well - I haven't gone shopping or started packing yet either..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
Crack head-lol
Does this mean I get to sleep in Thurs morning or do you still want me to leave @ O'dark thirty ?
Hell yes. Sleep is for the weak.

Quote:
We took a vote and you/Janey get to lead the convoy.
We? You have a rat in your pocket? Fine by me though.

Quote:
Charles- why not pony up for the correct 110 pads, got be some local....
But thats just it - WTF are they? I'm going to hit NAPA up at lunch time - hoping they match a discovery 1.

See the pics above - if anyone can tell me what they they are, the beers on me.
Old April 9th, 2008, 07:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Even if you had to kludge something to get down there, someone will have what you need when you get there!

I'm still envious. I'll trade the forests of the piedmont for Moscow pavement any day! The closest I've gotten to off road was getting stuck on the battlefield at Borodino. I drove down an unpaved road looking for a site and found that the road ended and opended right onto the battlefield. Unfortunately, under the snow was all ice, so it took 10 minutes of rocking, digging, and low range reverse to get out of what didn't even look like a problem. While tearing up the historical site, I got my own little taste of why Napoleon and the Nazis gotten their butts kicked by "General Winter."
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1417 - Resized.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	12904  

Old April 9th, 2008, 08:20 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Smile

Gotta love George. Got a follow up call from him this AM. He contacted the Lockheed folks and verified I can just drill out the holes for the pins and use the current defender pads. Whoohoo. I think this is best since it should be quick, and then put me on common pads across trucks!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake