Brake lines replacement ... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 25th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Unhappy Brake lines replacement ...

Of course, there had to be surprises !

After the provicial MOT check up after importing my D110, I now have to change ALL of the brake lines because they are copper ones. COPPER, who uses copper for brake lines ? Here we go in the flairing process.

I realize it is not such a big job, but after waiting for over a month to get the truck here, I just cant wait to wheel it !

Any advice before I start ? Input anyone ?

Thanks All

Pat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 10:12 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit

After the provicial MOT check up after importing my D110, I now have to change ALL of the brake lines because they are copper ones. COPPER, who uses copper for brake lines ? Here we go in the flairing process.

I realize it is not such a big job, but after waiting for over a month to get the truck here, I just cant wait to wheel it !

Thanks All

Pat
Although it sucks to flare, doing them in stainless means you won't have to do it again. You can buy ss brake tubing and cut and flare it yourself. Snap-On makes a great flare tool that uses a hand pump hydraulic set up... sooooooooo much easier than the typical screw type flare tools. It is costly though.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 25th, 2006, 03:59 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Or just buy the Kit from ECR. LOL I bought the SS kit from you guys and it is a work of art. It fit perfectly and will last forever. Pat, spend the extra $$ for the SS kit. they are all prebent so everything fits perfectly..

Oh wait.. I just noticed you have an 84 110. don't know if the kit will work...
Advertisement

Old May 25th, 2006, 04:23 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Bubble flaire ...

I know that SS would be best but unfortunately it is not readily available plus I just realised that all the flaires are BUBBLE type flaire. Now I am asking my self as anyone have experience in this field ? I have double flaired alot in the past but never bubble flaired, and from what I understand it is half way to the double flaire.

If any one can confirm this information I would be happy.

Thanks all !

Pat
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Defender13
Mike Lynch
1994 Defender 90 #1017

Will ECR just sell the kit and not require installation from them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 25th, 2006, 08:41 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah.. thats what I did.. www.eastcoastrover.com/DefenderSSpipes.html
Old May 25th, 2006, 11:45 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, but I think they stopped selling parts that way. I dont think Mike is really into the mail order gig. Luckily I got mine - they are works of art. Even the fitting are stainless.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:09 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Yes, we will sell SS lines. You just have to be patient for us to box and get them out (I hate mail order... HATE it... but we will always try to help people out. It not the people that bother me it finding the box... getting the shipping tag, running the credit card... I just rather be building an engine)

The bummer is that I don't think much of it would fit the 1984 110. They used a different bias valve and such. I don't think our kit would do you much good at all.

You can make and flare SS lines yourself. SS is harder to work with (but worth the effort in my opinion). You can buy the tools to easly do all the flare types (double, bubble ISO). When we do coil Series Rovers we have to make them all by hand and back in the day we did it all with those little screw type flares you can get at the local auto parts store. You can buy rolls of 3/16 SS raw stock brake line and buy the fittings to.

The cost is not much more than a standard pipe if you make it yourself, it is only dealing with the harder flaring that causes any issues.

Hope that helps.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 26th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Bubble flare ...

Finaly ordered some tools for bubble flare. I now have SS hose and found new fittings as well. Now all I have to do is wait for the tool to get here ( Monday ) and spend quality time with my rover.

Thanks everyone for there input.

Pat
Old December 6th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Michael
Michael
Discovery 1998

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrofit

Thanks All

Pat
What? If those pipes were copper/nickel 90/10 (kunifer 10), they are very good. The Navy uses this stuff in desalination systems.

Follow-up Post:

I guess that would be Cunifer (copper & nickel)?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, brake