Brake lines? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:04 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Brake lines?

Since I'm doing the RHD->LHD conversion when I re-assemble the pile of parts onto the new chassis when it arrives I will need to replace all the hydraulic lines. I know I can just order the factory lines fairly inexpensively, but... what would my other options be? I know I could install all braided line, or copper hard-line, and I know ECR does stainless lines for the NAS models but I don't know if those would fit mine which is a UK model.

What do you guys think the best option would be? I'm trying to make it so things like this are maintenance free for as long as possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Parts & Accessories Imported Weekly

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Like us on Facebook for a discount on parts!

- Handmade Soap ideal for Mechanics!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:05 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Stainless.
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

OK, do you know who could provide such lines? If the ECR ones fit then that's easy enough.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij

I would not promise anything, but I don't see why NAS lines would not fit. ECR gets them from someplace they list on the website so you can go there if ECR will not mail order. Classic tube maybe????
Old February 20th, 2009, 01:36 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

OK thanks, I sent ECR an inquiry so hopefully they'll fit and they'll send me a set. Also mailed Classic Tube just in case.

I know no matter how much I order now I'm still going to miss something and end up getting held up on re-assembly because of it, but having the lines ready to install when the chassis arrives and I get the bulkhead in place would be nice

I've got a new level of respect for everyone who does full rebuilds on these things and it has only strengthened my resolve to do it once and to last.

Old February 20th, 2009, 01:46 AM
evilfij
evilfij

Ya, the first one I did, I did in less than a year (my 1959 series truck). The other project has been like eight years and is no where near done.
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:04 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Classic Tube in upstate NY. They have the NAS brake kits.
Old February 20th, 2009, 09:44 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Yes, except mine is not a NAS, it's a 1992 UK.

Old February 20th, 2009, 09:56 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

CT makes the lines for us. They don't know what fits what. They only know what we tell them.
We send them samples that we hand make here, then they copy them with computer bending machines.
We stock the lines, CT does not. They are the same price, so it just depends on when you need them and maybe a bit in shipping.

The question you need answered is "Are 1993 NAS 110 brake lines identical to 1992 Euro 110 brake lines?"

and I don't know that answer for sure. Does your 110 have a G valve mounted on the RH frame rail?

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Retrofit
Pat
1984 110 CrewCab 200Tdi

Hmmmm ...

Well I would (and already did) order bulk stainless lines and connectors from Classic Tubes (they know exactly what you need) and at the same time buy yourself the Mastercool hydraulic flaring kit (the big one from them as well) and a good quality bending tool. Also add the braided flex lines.

And then just replace the whole thing by making your own. And once you are done you are left with good quality tools that will last you a lifetime.

That is what I did and have no regrets.

Pat

Kirk Lazarus, Tropic Thunder

color="Red">CanadaOverland.com
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:18 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

We have been working with CT for over a decade, so we have gone over with them what thread pitch, length and all the fittings are. I can tell you in the early years it really sucked to get all that information set up. I can't tell you how many times some line sets went back and forth for adjustments, lines sent with the wrong fittings, etc etc etc.

Making your own lines is a good way to go, and we do the same when we build one offs like coil Series trucks or Buggies and things where it doesn't pay to make a computer program and an initial batch run.

One word of advice... buy extra flare dies. The 3/16" SS pipe is good tough stuff and it you are doing a ton of flares the dies go away pretty quickly. We go through a die set every couple trucks.

Old February 20th, 2009, 10:28 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Mike,

I have a 1984 RHD 2.5NA diesel 90" do you have the proper information to make a set of stainless brake lines for it?

I am not ready for them at the moment but know I will need them at some point
Old February 20th, 2009, 10:41 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas
Mike,

I have a 1984 RHD 2.5NA diesel 90" do you have the proper information to make a set of stainless brake lines for it?

I am not ready for them at the moment but know I will need them at some point
Sorry, we don't. We only have NAS Defenders prototyped and done.
There is not enough call for the more obscure models for us to go through the prototype process (and costs) on them. On a truck like that you should take Retrofit's advice and buy bulk line and make them.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:00 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

OK, thanks for the advice. I'll dig up the part numbers on the NAS and non-NAS and compare them to see.

ECR, on the stainless lines you sell it looks like you've used rubber flex-line on them as well, why the rubber instead of braided stainless? If I'm mistaken that would be good to know too.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:09 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
OK, thanks for the advice. I'll dig up the part numbers on the NAS and non-NAS and compare them to see.

ECR, on the stainless lines you sell it looks like you've used rubber flex-line on them as well, why the rubber instead of braided stainless? If I'm mistaken that would be good to know too.

The customers pick what they want for brake flex lines.
I don't get to pick what folks do to their trucks.

I run SS flex in my own trucks, but I cover them with rubber hose to keep them safe. A SS flex line is great, but they are very fragile if rubbed (say rubbed on a tire or something) and once a few strands are broken the line explodes immediately, unlike a rubber line that will take some abuse. Learned that the hard way in Moab.

Use what makes you happy... your mileage may vary.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:21 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Ahhh, I was looking at the fuel-lines not the brake lines on the same page.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:23 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Ahhh, I was looking at the fuel-lines not the brake lines on the same page.
Sorry about that.
All the fuel lines come with SS flex lines now. It took us a while to find a SS flex line in the right size that was fuel rated. That is why the early examples had rubber.

Old February 20th, 2009, 11:43 AM
ajh
Andrew J. Hutton
1993 Defender 110 200TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
The customers pick what they want for brake flex lines.
I don't get to pick what folks do to their trucks.

I run SS flex in my own trucks, but I cover them with rubber hose to keep them safe. A SS flex line is great, but they are very fragile if rubbed (say rubbed on a tire or something) and once a few strands are broken the line explodes immediately, unlike a rubber line that will take some abuse. Learned that the hard way in Moab.

Use what makes you happy... your mileage may vary.
Ah, yes on motorcycles we run full length braided hoses and they really need hose-wrap of they'll cut right through a fork tube over time. Now I'm thinking hose-wrap plus a layer of magic-wrap would make sense in the harsher environment under a Rover and be easy to cut off and replace as needed.

Old February 22nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
Muscat
Mark B
2002 90 wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajh
Yes, except mine is not a NAS, it's a 1992 UK.
Classic tube supplied SS lines for my Gulf spec LHD 2002 D90. It was a td5 manual, is now 300tdi auto, and the majority of the supplied lines went on fine. The only lines that needed tweaking were the from caliper lines - not Classic Tubes fault, I have Discovery axles and the calipers differ from the 90.

I had a number of telephone conversations with Robert (?) from Classic tube and he was very helpful in sorting through options.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake