Brake Line - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old November 25th, 2006, 03:49 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Brake Line

This may be a stupid question but is there a reason for running the small hard brake line on the front calipers after the rubber line? I am constantly fighting corrosion with all the salt used on the roads up here and I had to replace one of these small lines again last night when I removed the caliper to repack the hubs.

Does this line just keep the flex line away from the tire? Is it an attempt to run less flexible rubber? I'm wondering if it would be easier to run SS braided from the hard line at the shock tower directly to the caliper.
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2006, 08:00 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
No, and there are places in the UK that make SS lines direct.

On another point, there is no reason to disconnect the brake lines when working on the hubs. Just unbolt the caliper and hang it off to the side with something.

Follow-up Post:

Here is a thread, see post 25
Old November 25th, 2006, 08:18 PM
whistler110
Mike Johnstone
ex-mod 110

Thanks for that.

I replaced the line because it broke at the bend behind the caliper. The line must have been hit by me or something else at some point and kinked. I tried to pursuade it back a little to see how bad the kink was but it snapped. The line was half rusted through anyway so it was probably a good thing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
brake